300 jazz

Kiwi,
Planned to draw it's first blood on an elk hunt in Montana. Don't know if I am going to make it thou , as I might be having shoulder surgury. Seems after 35 years of construction work parts of my body are needing some repair.

Glover,
Contact imfo for Travis Redell is 360-791-4741
Is that what you were looking for ?

Thanks, kiwi,
I am going to try and live with the pain until this winter when work slows down. I have been going to bed with an icepack on my shoulder for the last 3 months.

Last edited:
RockZ,
Thanks , I hope I go elk hunting also. I am very happy at this point with how the 300 JAZZ is shooting to 730yards. Need to stretch it out alittle further now.

trueblue,
I am wanting to have a 300 jazz built, just wondering if you were satisfied with yours. I want to use a defiance action, broughton LV fluted #5, Mcmillan A-3 with edge fill, rifle basix trigger, PTG bottom metal, muzzle brake,(this will be my light long range rifle).

I personally have not done a 284 JAZZ, but there have been a couple built.
Travis of R BROS built one recently for a guy.
RH300RUM on this site built one, but he calls it a 284 Thor, maybe he will chime in on performance.

189 3210fps
180 berger 3250fps

They seem to like the US869 since mine and the 284 Thor are almost identical in loads. His has a 11fps spread and mine is 7fps. I don't know if they are identical chamberings though.

Brent

Blipelt,
Didn't you sell your 7 jazz? I saw it listed a while back and just about had to have it. That was one sweet rifle. Did you maybe build another? There some talk of a switch barrel if I recall.

No I couldn't part with it. My hunting style doesn't consist of walking to a good vantage point and waiting. That is why I was selling. I sold my 7wsm and kept my Jazz. I then decided to build two walking rifles instead of one. 260 and 7rem mag. The 260 should be done any day now, then I can show off what Nate has been doing lately. Donovan Moran is working with Nate now. Donovan is a benchrest shooter and a reloading genius. I don't think there will be alot they can't figure out together.

After playing with my 284 I didin't see a need for a switch barrel. I know alot tend to emphasize bullet diameter, but I have a different opinion. You can expect it from me. Look at my mentor, the guy who was the first to show up at a benchrest shoot with a little itty bitty 6mm. He tells me he almost got laughed off the firing line. My how things have changed.

If you do build one with whichever gunsmith. I would get one of Nate's mini extreme brakes. It makes it a real pleasure to shoot.

I was with when the 300 Jazz smacked alot of whitetails. It is a awesome caliber. Just depends on what you want and what you will be hunting primarily with it.

Trueblue(Jim) thanks for making your idea such a great caliber.

Brent

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.