300 H&H build

jwcrabb

Guys,
I wanting to build a 300 H&H magnum on a Remington 700 action. Will the traditional long action with a magnum bolt face work? Thanks

Guys,
I wanting to build a 300 H&H magnum on a Remington 700 action. Will the traditional long action with a magnum bolt face work? Thanks
Yep. Most of the belted magnums use that case.

Why though are you settling on the H&H. There are better options in 30 cal's particularly the 300wm. There's a great supply of factory ammo and endless sources of good brass for the 300wm.

The 300 Norma Mag is also gaining popularity in a hurry as well.

Wildrose, you make a good point. There are many 30 cal magnums that can outperform the old 300 H&H. But i'm one of those guys that just love the old calibers. Some old gun writer once quoted that a Winchester Western 300 H&H Magnum Silvertip cartridge was the most beautiful cartridge ever designed! I have to agree...

Wildrose, you make a good point. There are many 30 cal magnums that can outperform the old 300 H&H. But i'm one of those guys that just love the old calibers. Some old gun writer once quoted that a Winchester Western 300 H&H Magnum Silvertip cartridge was the most beautiful cartridge ever designed! I have to agree...
It will certainly get the job done. Just a bit limited on factory ammo and quality brass.

Who's doing your build?

The only flaws I can see with the .300 H&H are the 16* shoulder and heavy wall taper. However, those were specifically designed that way because at the time of its inception, the main propellent was Cordite. Which is a dry spaghetti-looking stick propellant (they used to cut it to length to fill the case) and they needed the low shoulder angle and heavy taper to fit as much in there to properly propel the bullet.

With the introduction of modern powder, the new calibers that developed from those old antiquated cases (.300 WinMag, 7mm RemMag, 7mm STW, the Weatherby Magnums, 8mm RemMag, etc...) have much sharper shoulder angles and really light wall tapers that build extreme pressures to push the bullets at super high velocities that were once thought impossible.

I was just explaining to why the older calibers have become obsolete, to help elaborate on what Rose was saying.

The only flaws I can see with the .300 H&H are the 16* shoulder and heavy wall taper. However, those were specifically designed that way because at the time of its inception, the main propellent was Cordite. Which is a dry spaghetti-looking stick propellant (they used to cut it to length to fill the case) and they needed the low shoulder angle and heavy taper to fit as much in there to properly propel the bullet.

the biggest reason for the mild taper/ shallow shoulder is that the powder charge was already in the case when they did the final forming steps on the cartridges.... We've got some cordite at my Pop's house in some early 8mm mauser rounds. Weird looking stuff.

The h@h cartridges are great and overlooked by many as old news. I've got a remmy 700 lightweight 375h@h and my brother shoots a #1 300h@h. Both will play ball with ease with the new kids and usually show them up. The biggest reason to think about a newer design is the shallow taper is hell for brass growth. Accuracy and efficiency wise they are good company to keep.

p.s. ... the 300wsm has almost exactly the same case capacity as the 300h@h...

Like I said guys, I love the old stuff. I guess that's why when my buddies were using 25-06s, I had a 257 Roberts. When my brother went with a 7mm STW, I went with the 280. We all took many deer side by side, and I never really understood the need for all that extra power. That was until last year... I started hunting in south Texas where the deer are bigger, and the brush is thicker. I learned in that thick brush you may only get one look at a big buck. And when you do, he may be anywhere from 100 -500 yds. I needed a cartridge capable of good power and penetration, especially if the angle was not perfect. Those big deer don't hang around long and you have to take him when you can. I knew the 300 Winchester magnum would handle that, because I witnessed it first hand. So that is what lead me to the 300 H&H. I'm a pure reloader, so I picked an old cartridge that with modern powders would be very close to the 300 Winchester. Seems like win-win to me. Well, that's my weird logic. Thanks for all the replies.

Go with a newer design the stretch and the accompanied extra bolt thrust caused by the taper reduces the performance to that of a 06 ai.. You will experience much more lug compression which will speed up case life. If you had a pre64 in the old H&H, that would be worth saving building new would be leaving alot of performance/money on the table.

Good for you! Always had a soft spot for that cartridge myself and also plan to have another one day. I will build mine on a CZ 550 action and want to have a .375 H&H to go with it.

Trued Remington 700 long action, PacNor 10 twist finished at 26", HS Precision Sendero type stock. Plan to shoot the Berger 155 VLD Hunting and the Nosler 165 Accubond. I don't think COL should be a problem with the internal magazine.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.