300 BO, 6.5 G, or 6 ARC?

It seems to be hitting the tip; there's a mark on the tip when I manage to pull it out of the seating stem. I was thinking that drilling it out might be the answer.

It seems to be hitting the tip; there's a mark on the tip when I manage to pull it out of the seating stem. I was thinking that drilling it out might be the answer.
Some guys use the two part epoxies in the stem and good release agents to form the stem to the bullets being used, essentially a custom fit for that bullet. Lots of people on here do it and there may be a thread or two on it.

Go for the Grendel, hard to beat for your tasks, my opinion .300 BO is useless unless subsonic for zombies. My son shoots an ARC its a sweet round, I have a Grendel, I feel it's better all around because of the heavier bullets... It's a very fun and capable little cartridge!!
I agree with the Grendel. I've not found brass or bulk ammo difficult to find. Check Ammoseek and SG Ammo. The Grendel is WAY better than any .223. The 6 ARC is great for longer distances with it's higher BC bullets but the Grendel is no slouch out to distance and has more horsepower up close. Use a well-constructed bullet on the Bruins. I have always liked Partitions but there are many good stout bullets to chose from. Good luck to you and your Bride. SF -

Have you looked at 300 hamr? I use the very similar 7.62x40wt and it's been great on hogs, coyotes and various other vermin lol. If you aren't shooting suppressed, a much better option than 300bo for hunting.
A good option IF you're not shooting over 150gr and mag fed. Possible a little heavier bullet, but not much more as for what it was designed for. A faster per weight than the 300bo. If I didn't have so much 300bo crap, then I'd go for 1!

BTW Hornady match bullets kill like poison so no need to waste them for the brass.
This, my Grendel and my hunting partners Grendel prefer
the 123eldm. He shoots standard BLACK. I reload 123 eldm with 28.1 8208. I use it for deer and hogs doing depredation with night vision. As Festus Haggen said, "it shore gives them a bad illness. They don't seem to hardly even linger none after they're shot.

a

Last edited:
I'm building a new upper, and am at the inevitable and unenviable point of determining cartridge. The purpose for this build is to be handled by my wife during predator situations on our farm. We deal with everything here from the smallest fox species to black bears in the 550+ range. Range to target will generally be less than 75 yards, much closer during the seasons when foliage is present on the encroaching woods. I am a hand loader, and have a fairly good stock of 6mm, 6.5mm, and 7.62mm projectiles on hand. The issue is brass.

What I'm seeing right now is that 300 BO brass is readily available, 6.5 Grendel almost non-existent, and 6mm ARC completely unavailable, however this is a long-term thing and shortages generally rectify themselves over time, so I don't want to make this decision based on brass availability alone unless someone can offer up some credible inside info that 6.5 Grendel and 6mm ARC brass are going to be largely unavailable for the next couple of years. I work in an industry where inside information circulates, so I don't think that it's unreasonable to "throw it out there". I don't want to screw around with re-sizing other cartridge brass down to either 6.5 Grendel or 6mm ARC; I just don't have time. I have even kicked around the idea of going 7.62x39. I'm not interested in 22-cal offerings; they are too small for me to be comfortable with in this application.

My wife is not recoil sensitive; when a predator is bearing down on your livestock, you could shoulder a Howitzer and not flinch, and she's a Kansas farm girl. If someone would like to chime in with an alternative suggestion that might have appropriate energy and available brass to boot, then please do so. Many thanks for taking the time to read this.

Best,

Chris
6ARC !

Recently took a 6ARC on a hog hunt in GA. Not overly impressed with the 6 ARC on hogs. It is a fun round for target and I'd love to use it for coyote or deer out to a couple hundred. However when it comes to hogs, while I know they get killed plenty with 223 and others, my preference is in the 6.5 Creedmoor or 308 range. Of the op's suggestions I'd have to pick the Grendel, but I'd 2d the suggestion of the Ruger SFAR mentioned earlier.

I've had a DPMS G2 in 7.62 x 51 for about 12 years.. I put a prs stock, Geiselle NM trigger, and an adjustable gas block On it. It's not very heavy at all. In 308 it can be a little handful but recoil is more of a push. It likes 168s at around 2600fps. It isn't sharp at all. It is a 5/8 MOA gun and is probably my favorite rifle. I would imagine it would be a creampuff to shoot in 6.5 Creedmore. There are some really light small frame AR 10s out there now that would fill the ops bill. POF, Savage, Adams Arms, Zev, Ruger, Windham, Christenson arms all make a nice light small framed option. If not one of those, the Grendel would be my pick As mentioned in previous posts.

Grendel

You could find ammo for it in small shops when shelves were empty. Pretty much my favorite overall round.

Grendel

You could find ammo for it in small shops when shelves were empty. Pretty much my favorite overall round.
Same here with availability. Ammoseek generally had For a short period all you could find was wolf which I don't care for in Grendel. With PrivI Partizan back in the game, we have the hollow point boat tail 120 which is supposed to be good on game and the brass is decent quality as well. Hopefully supply issues are close to behind us.

Last edited:
Same here with availability. Ammoseek generally had For a short period all you could find was wolf which I don't care for in Grendel. With PrivI Partizan back in the game, we have the hollow point boat tail 120 which is supposed to be good on game and the brass is decent quality as well. Hopefully supply issues are close to behind us.
I've shot countless deer and even a couple decent sized hogs with it out to 250 yards.