300 blk bullets

I've been loading them for 16 years, now for Subs-220eldx's. Supersonic 110 vmax. Liglun for supersonic loads, extra 150 + velocity

Tried about 4 powders for subs, settled on the cfe blk
Others were dirty, not complete burn, or not accurate for me.
H110 pretty much rules for supers
Ill try both.. I know I can get a few 1lb cans of each then can get an 8#er once I see what the gun likes.

H110 seems to be a popular powder for the blk CFE as well... as we all know components tonplay with are hard to get a hold of today... looking for some more new brass...

There was a reason I never worked up a load for it and don't remember it lol. Maybe it was that was all I found at the time...

8.3" BA Hanson barrel with form 1 suppressor
factory Barnes Vortex 110 2132fps chronographed. Multiple deer shot at less than 100yds all with exit wounds and <30yd blood trail
Speer TNT 125 H110 2006fps one groundhog killed, no expansion very accurate and cheap projectile

Factory remington subsonic do not stabilize I haven't experimented with reloading subsonic yet.

I was doing load development and shooting 5 round groups. I though maybe I was spraying off the target so I asked someone to get on the spotting scope and put 2 more in the hole. Load development complete! Pretty good for an autoloader.

I have a Rem 700 Tac AAC with a 1:7 twist 16" barrel. With a TBAC 338 Ultra is it Hollywood quiet, and I mean the real "pfff" quiet that only a bolt action can achieve. It's heavy, runs an ATN night sight and Coyote Cannon, but it's normally used to shoot hogs in places where loud shots (while legal) would cause people stress and end up with me not being invited back. It's inaudible over any wind in your ears most times.

I've shot Maker's 200s under an inch at 100 yards with this rifle, and it really likes the Sierra 220s also. My picture is a 100 yard group of the Makers 200s using ~7gr of Lil' Gun, not bad for subsonics. I put five Sierra 220s into a ragged hole... but it was an inch low and over so not as photogenic.

Old pic with the ATN illuminator:
300 blk.jpg

I've used H110, 4227, Lil' Gun, CFE, Blackout, Trail Boss, and A1680. Lil'Gun does better for accuracy in the bolt, but A1680 cycles the ARs more reliably with subs. The others were fine in the bolt, but AR reliability dropped significantly with subs with H110 and 4227. Blackout wasn't even functional, I didn't get a single cycle over 15 test rounds. Got 4# of A1680 and never looked back, Berrys 220s with A1680 is my AR range ammo. BCM 9" and PSA 8.5" with either an Omega 300 or Saker 762.

I have a Rem 700 Tac AAC with a 1:7 twist 16" barrel. With a TBAC 338 Ultra is it Hollywood quiet, and I mean the real "pfff" quiet that only a bolt action can achieve. It's heavy, runs an ATN night sight and Coyote Cannon, but it's normally used to shoot hogs in places where loud shots (while legal) would cause people stress and end up with me not being invited back. It's inaudible over any wind in your ears most times.

I've shot Maker's 200s under an inch at 100 yards with this rifle, and it really likes the Sierra 220s also. My picture is a 100 yard group of the Makers 200s using ~7gr of Lil' Gun, not bad for subsonics. I put five Sierra 220s into a ragged hole... but it was an inch low and over so not as photogenic.

Old pic with the ATN illuminator:
View attachment 250297

I've used H110, 4227, Lil' Gun, CFE, Blackout, Trail Boss, and A1680. Lil'Gun does better for accuracy in the bolt, but A1680 cycles the ARs more reliably with subs. The others were fine in the bolt, but AR reliability dropped significantly with subs with H110 and 4227. Blackout wasn't even functional, I didn't get a single cycle over 15 test rounds. Got 4# of A1680 and never looked back, Berrys 220s with A1680 is my AR range ammo. BCM 9" and PSA 8.5" with either an Omega 300 or Saker 762.
Great info! Thanks for the heads up on the subs

For the guys shooting non expanding subs, are you guys hunting or just shooting for fun/practice? The reason I ask is I've not had stellar results with standard bullets at sub velocities. That said I've only shot one deer but it penciled right through and had to follow up with a head shot. It was a 338 Spectre and a 300 grain SMK so not exactly the same thing but scared me to the point that I switched to Outlaw bullets. I just haven't hunted with the 338S since.

There are so many good subsonic-specific expanding bullets I can't imagine not using one when the risk is a wounded animal. Maybe if I was shooting armadillos I'd use the 220SMK, but definitely not pigs or deer. Only expanding bullets on animals for me.

Makers appears to have a 300 grain .338 specifically for the 338 Spectre, that would be a much better option than an SMK.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.