300 ACC BLK Load Questions

4ball

Folks,
First time loading 300 ACC BLK and I am second guessing myself. A second opinion would be appreciated. This looks way to full IMHO.

I am following Hodgdon load data from the website.

Pic 1 - Load data
Pic 2 - Starting Load
Pic 3 - Maximum Load

Brass - New Starline 300 BLK
Powder - CFE Black
Bullet - 110 gr V-Max

If I dismantle a Hornady Black 110 V-Max I'm measuring 19 grains. They are tack drivers for my 300. I triple checked my scale calibration. So ???

Thanks!
4-ball

Attachments

• 4097C845-139F-40C8-89C0-93FEB6BAF324.jpeg
    4097C845-139F-40C8-89C0-93FEB6BAF324.jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 211
  • F20695AE-4EDE-4805-B433-660712BF0218.jpeg
    F20695AE-4EDE-4805-B433-660712BF0218.jpeg
    844.1 KB · Views: 99
  • E877FAEA-211E-490C-AD96-E4F47581FF57.jpeg
    E877FAEA-211E-490C-AD96-E4F47581FF57.jpeg
    557.1 KB · Views: 92
Does the "C" next to the charge weight mean compressed load? Because that's what it looks like. My guess is you may need a different powder with those bullets. Or if powder is your limiting factor, try different bullets- likely need to go heavier and get your charge weight down.

Yeah, light flat base bullet in a 300 BLK, compressed starting load.

I don't like CFE BLK and SW BLK, always had better results with the shotgun and pistol powders.

Lil'Gun and H100 in stock right now:

Both will work well with the 110 supers, and double on subsonics if you ever want to try those. 208 ELD-M is a good bullet choice if you want to make small holes.

Since you are trying to dup the hornady blk ammo---Do you know for a fact that the hornady black 110 vmax ammo is using hodgdon cfe blk powder? I'm betting they use h110.

My 110gr loads use 19.6 grains of H110 powder.

I use cfe blk in my sub loads not for supers

Also-- you are using starline brass, Hodgdon load data uses hornady brass-- you need to compare case capacities -- sometimes you can have several grains difference in case capacity

Thanks for the input! I picked up four pounds of CFE BLK so I will stick with it until I shot it all.

Made it to the range yesterday. My gun liked 22.3 gr of CFE BLK with Nosler Varmageddon 110 gr FB tipped bullets at 100 yards. No signs of over pressure.

Fair enough accuracy for a gas gun & what I am doing with the load.
0B73A207-C7DF-4F96-98E7-CD7C37A02F62.jpeg

Well sir, it cycled without issue. 50 super & 50 subsonic like a well oiled machine.

Based on your advice I had H110 & Lil'Gun in the checkout cart several times. I decided to stay with my original research and will run my CFE BLK powder till I'm shot out.

It won't be long & I'll give the other powders a try. Appreciate the advice.

Recycled Horny, LC & Starline brass on top, new Starline brass on bottom. Recycle in motion now, loading tomorrow... Fun round to shoot.

Kinda wild… 208 gr on the left. Bigger than the brass. 110 gr on right… still cycles both? Some kinda of uppper astrophysics IMHO or black magic….🤔😳 not sure

Attachments

• 946829C6-ECE6-4C0C-B255-065CD6221456.jpeg
    946829C6-ECE6-4C0C-B255-065CD6221456.jpeg
    890 KB · Views: 67
  • 361C2A30-70DD-4C02-9970-BF63A153B569.jpeg
    361C2A30-70DD-4C02-9970-BF63A153B569.jpeg
    574.3 KB · Views: 73
The 208 only has to get up to 1000 FPS, the loss of case capacity is actually a good thing because it lets you run faster powders in a smaller space. If you think about it, the 208 is lighter than a 45 ACP hardball 230gn. 300 BLK is a very interesting round that is ultimately a compromise that worked out pretty well.

Adjustable or non-adjustable gas block? Part of the reason A1680 is very popular for subs is that some years ago the dedicated 300 BLK boards did a test and it generated more gas volume than other powders, so it's a safe bet for cycling if you can't meter the flow. My bad luck with BLK powders was in a non-adjustable gas block. Good to hear the CFE is working for you.

Small world moment - I played NASA Area Little League, and my dad had a Sunfish we ran all around Clear Lake.

QuietTexan - small world no doubt. Thanks for sharing. El Lago & Clear Lake are a great place to raise kids in my opinion. We take advantage of the water when we can find the time. I was working on my boat tonight to get it ready for chasing redfish & trout soon. Life got in the way of my winter fishing activities so time to do the preventative maintenance now & be ready.

I used both types. I shot an adjustable in my SIG Virtus & non adjustable in my PSA. Both worked with no issues thankfully.

Now it's time for me to make some ammo. The price of 300 BLK due to the great ammo famine is borderline redonkulas IMHO.
Cheers.

CFEBLK is all I use to load my 300BO's and have found it to be a wonderful powder in my subsonic "Hollywood" quiet loadings.

I've never worked up a supersonic load, as I was always more interested in getting the highest quality and quietest rounds available for my particular firearm.

It sounds like it is working for you for your supers, so I wouldn't give up on it. It should also produce very good sub loadings, as well.

And man, does a little go a loooong way! Shooting a lot of 300BO will certainly bring your cost per round down compared to almost any other centerfire rifle these days.

And man, does a little go a loooong way!
300BO is the only gun I've ever "blown up" while experimenting with loads. (Catastrophic failure). Be careful guys

Wisdom. The sense to know when your on the razors edge that you better use protection.

Badthirtyone - if you had a recipe you care to share, I am all ears. Alway interested in learning what works for others.

I've been working from this data I found online using the CFE BLK & H-4198 with a 208 gr. ELD-M. Still playing with the recipe some.

I shoot a lot of subs for pig removal from our property near Centerville, TX. Head shot with a sub has been highly effective for my 300 BLK & 6.5 CM subs so far. And really fun also!

300BO is the only gun I've ever "blown up" while experimenting with loads. (Catastrophic failure). Be careful guys

Wisdom. The sense to know when your on the razors edge that you better use protection.
What did you do?

I've ran everything from maxed out supers to subs that have almost fallen out of the barrel (612 FPS) and it's a been a very forgiving round for me. Be smart and work up AND DOWN.

And man, does a little go a loooong way! Shooting a lot of 300BO will certainly bring your cost per round down compared to almost any other centerfire rifle these days.
No joke, Berrys 220s and H110 and if it weren't for primers I'd be going through 1k of these a month. It's the most fun this side of suppressed 22LR.

What did you do?
When cfe pistol first hit the shelves, I convinced myself that it would be perfect for short barreled ARs runnin heavy subs. There was zero information that supported this at the time. I think it was around 6 grains I tried. Pulled trigger with a string. Kablooey!