30 NOSLER, yes or no?

Brass cost aside, it is just another 30 caliber that spits bullets a little faster than some and a little slower than others. If you want the highest level performance it's not it. If you want the cheapest to shoot.... not it. If you want the newest "wonder caliber" it may just be what you are looking for. The biggest issue that I have with the Noslers is the brass, price, availability, and durability which is a PIA because I have 2 28's.

I am not a fan of proprietary cartridges (esp. when it is a brass single source -at least at the moment). However, if it fits your bill, that's all it matters. I think it always have a place in somebody's wants or needs.

Cheers!
That's a good point Ed. There is one way to solve the problem, but it can be expensive... Buy up a barrel's lifetime supply of brass from the same lot number. :D

The .30 nosler seems like a ballistic twin of the 300 wby. The 300 wby has been getting it done for 75 years.

It's looking like a good option for someone who wants something different. If you want one , go for it and enjoy.

The 30 Nosler strikes a perfect balance in the 30 cal magnum offerings, little more than the Win little easier going than the RUM, bullets seat in a better position and better over all length, excellent brass, no belt, for me it's a no brainier the 30 Nosler hits all the points though I would not replace any perfectly good Win or RUM with one till needed.

The 30 Nosler strikes a perfect balance in the 30 cal magnum offerings, little more than the Win little easier going than the RUM, bullets seat in a better position and better over all length, excellent brass, no belt, for me it's a no brainier the 30 Nosler hits all the points though I would not replace any perfectly good Win or RUM with one till needed.

Seems like Don Allen did the 30 Nosler about 25 years ago. 300 Dakota:cool:

I agree that mid 90's capacity is about the sweet spot for the .308 bore.

Broz does a comparison between the 30 Nosler and the 300 Win Mag, over on LRO, in a YouTube video. It is pretty interesting. You might want to give it a look.

I read that one of the advantages of the 30 Nosler and the rest of the Nosler family is the 404 Jeffery case design. Belted cases use up valuable case capacity at the web area.. The belt keeps the reloader from being able to resize the case all the way at the base do to the belt, which causes bulging at the belt after repeated firings. This area is where the case separates over time. The article also said that yes you can bump the shoulder back so the belt does not make contact but then you have three areas of resistance to contend with. The base, belt and shoulder. If I read and explaine the article correctly it makes sense to me. It came from Hodgdon's bi yearly reloading magazine article on the 33Nosler.

I'l never give up my 300RUM, but was Broz' 300Win v 30Nos "quasi test", an apples-apples-apples "test" or a apples-apples-orange "test", being they were different rifles/barrels and not spec'd out SAMMI chambered as close to same rifles? Just sayin...

I'l never give up my 300RUM, but was Broz' 300Win v 30Nos "quasi test", an apples-apples-apples "test" or a apples-apples-orange "test", being they were different rifles/barrels and not spec'd out SAMMI chambered as close to same rifles? Just sayin...

J,
If not giving up yer rum, then why do u worry so...?

I read that one of the advantages of the 30 Nosler and the rest of the Nosler family is the 404 Jeffery case design. Belted cases use up valuable case capacity at the web area.. The belt keeps the reloader from being able to resize the case all the way at the base do to the belt, which causes bulging at the belt after repeated firings. This area is where the case separates over time. The article also said that yes you can bump the shoulder back so the belt does not make contact but then you have three areas of resistance to contend with. The base, belt and shoulder. If I read and explaine the article correctly it makes sense to me. It came from Hodgdon's bi yearly reloading magazine article on the 33Nosler.
MP,
We get it. Just don't use belted mag, your problem solved.

By the way, all the crap u just regurgitated can be challenged without effort.

J,
If not giving up yer rum, then why do u worry so...?
No worries. Gather all the info possible and make the decision that works for your needs.
Personally, if I can't get a rifle to at least a .5 MOA (w/velocity) at range, a rebarrel will happen. Barrels are an expendable item, like bullets and powder.

Last edited:
No worries. Gather all the info possible and make the decision that works for your needs.
Personally, if I can't get a rifle to at least a .5 MOA (w/velocity) at range, a rebarrel will happen. Barrels are an expendable item, like bullets and powder.
Screen-Shot-2017-12-25-at-8.48.34-AM-420x315.png

If you are not invested in any other 30 cal magnum then...

Absolutely yes.

Proprietary cartridge, no so much.
Equal by existing cartridges, hmm, could be but what does that have to do with the price of tea in China.

It has more benefits than the "old" 30 cal magnums. Unless of course the person commenting is a Luddite (haha). Using old designs because they are old designs makes as much sense as using new designs because they are new designs.

It is based on a cartridge that has been around a long time. Same as the RUM, WSM, RSAUM and more.

Pick one and enjoy.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.