30 Nosler or 30/375 Ruger

Well thanks guys for all the input. I am gonna go with the ruger. I know that the nosler has better brass, but I can afford to buy a lot more of the hornady stuff.
Last question,, what set of sizing dies will make necking down the cases the simplest? And im not gonna get fancy and change the shoulder angle or nothing. It'll do me just fine the way it is. Truth be told I should just keep my win mag, but im bored and its my money. If I don't spend it my wife wMill find diamonds on sale somewhere.

Just a basic redding neck die for your 30-375. Measure your neck on your parent case - 375 ruger and then probably 3-4 bushings spread out to your finished neck diameter. Finished should be around .337-.340". After sizing get a neck turning tool set it at .015" with a feeler gauge and then turn necks and doughnut. There will be a doughnut coming down that far. FL sizing will depend on what the shoulder measurement on your parent case is. Is the 30-375 just a straight neck down or is the shoulder different?? If its only a straight neck down then run 308 expander through necks, prime, charge, seat and go shooting.

Just a basic redding neck die for your 30-375. Measure your neck on your parent case - 375 ruger and then probably 3-4 bushings spread out to your finished neck diameter. Finished should be around .337-.340". After sizing get a neck turning tool set it at .015" with a feeler gauge and then turn necks and doughnut. There will be a doughnut coming down that far. FL sizing will depend on what the shoulder measurement on your parent case is. Is the 30-375 just a straight neck down or is the shoulder different?? If its only a straight neck down then run 308 expander through necks, prime, charge, seat and go shooting.

Or just neck up a 7LRM

Dave Tooley, Tooley Custom Rifles in Gastonia NC worked directly with Hornady on the 30-375 and they named it the 300 Hornady Super Magnum (HSM) and did a special run of dies. Tooley probably has tons of 1x fired brass reamer specs and access to the dies. They fired thousands of rounds for a 300 HSM switch barrel sniper rifle submission to SOCOM a couple years ago.

Sorry that I haven't posted on this thread in a while, I was busy. I have seen this guys name repeatedly. Dave Tooley. I did several web searches and I can't find the guy. Does he have a website or does anyone have contact information for him?

Sorry that I haven't posted on this thread in a while, I was busy. I have seen this guys name repeatedly. Dave Tooley. I did several web searches and I can't find the guy. Does he have a website or does anyone have contact information for him?

Also I thought I would explain my motives a bit. I am attempting to build this gun on a new Winchester XPR in 300 win mag. I ordered a new Boyds laminate stock. Now as soon as I decide on cartridge, I will order a barrel.
I am using this new action just to be different. I considered just buying a Remington 700 long range in 300 rum. But I won't buy anything from Remington. My dad got burned by them once. And I also considered just getting a Vanguard in 300 wby, but they only offer it in a 24 inch barrel. I kinda feel like if I buy a Vanguard, I am being punished for not buying a mark V. So heck with wby too. I would love to go with a 300 norma mag, but unless I am mistaken it won't fit the mag or the bolt of a XPR so that's out.
Thanks for helping a new guy. Any advice from guys smarter than me is welcome.

I have a 30/375 S.I. wildcat based on the 375 Ruger case that shoots VERY well. It has a much better neck than the std. necked down 375, it has less body taper, a 40 degree shoulder, and holds 96.4 gas. H20. The brass is easy to work with. I have a reamer and can get dies from Whidden for it. I have reached 3200' with the 215 Berger in a 28" barrel.........Rich
Would it get 3000fps with 230's out of a 26" ?

Seems like your putting yourself through a lot of expense and time for 100-200 fps over the old warhorse ! I assure no animal can survive a chest hit with any .308 slug, I hardly think it will notice the slight velocity difference....and as someone else said, unless your walking out the door with dies, brass and whatever else it hain't worth it...jmo

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.