30 Cal Mag for Hunting

Traditional = 300 Winchester magnum
Availability = 300 Winchester magnum
Laser = lazzeroni or 30-378 weatherby

My pick today!

245grain berger Eol in a 30" 300 prc/sherman!

Why? I can run this OR a 225+ grain mono depending on terrain and hit an elk or deer or pronghorn DRT out to 800 yards for at least 1000 rounds between 1/2" setbacks and rechamberings on the barrel....

Large powder charge
High bc
High velocity
Heavy bullet
1000 yard accuracy
Large temporary wound cavity
Extra long PERMANENT WOUND CAVITY
EVERYTHING i love about the 338 win mag AND MORE!!!

I like the WSM for all of the well-documented attributes of Rick Jamison's legendary cartridge. Not least of which is 3 to 5+ lbs lower recoil force vs 300 WinMag.

I bought a Browning Medallion 26" barrel 6 years ago because they're beautiful and have a great reputation for accuracy.

Then my life took some twists and turns so that rifle never got fired. Its for sale on Gunbroker now because during last year's initial wu-flu freakout I found a deal I could not pass on an introductory year 300 WSM Model 70 Featherweight that looked like it had maybe fired a box of ammo and has the smoothest and least play bolt action I've ever experienced next to my Steyr. When I got it home I discovered it had been professionally pillared and action fully bedded. It shoots 180 Scirocco II's to 0.4 moa with what is arguably the finest factory trigger ever produced. In short, I am very happy with 300 WSM. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants a 30 cal magnum.
Just looked on gunbroker for the rifle you have listed. Not sure which one's yours. Does yours have wood stock or synthetic?

I've not found a substitute for RUM yet.

Attachments

• FF103233-BF64-46AE-888B-71815494221F.jpeg
    FF103233-BF64-46AE-888B-71815494221F.jpeg
    145 KB · Views: 89
Good ole 30.06 has put plenty of north American game meat in freezers.

The title is 30 cal MAG, not 30 cal want-to-be mag 🤣🤣. the'06 isn't a magnum in my book or by it's BF. Still a good cartridge, just not what the OP was asking about.
Please note this post is meant to be light hearted.

Last edited:
Hey, my 2 cents: 300 Wby, because the rounds always does the job, close up or far away. And it has panache!! Double radius shoulder=sexy. You see that cartridge and you know right away that will do the job with style.
But who wants that screwy shoulder?!
😉

So RULES FIRST, this isn't a caliber debate, I know there are other options, I own some of them.

I just want to hear what everyone likes for a 30 cal magnum hunting rifle and why. . . 300 WM, PRC, WBY, RUM, NOS etc. .

I reload, so we are splitting hairs on costs. Im just curious on performance, velocity, bullets weights, COALs etc.

AND GO. . . .
I think it's hard to beat the old reliable 300WM with a 215 Berger. Plenty of energy to kill anything in NA to 1000 yards and beyond. Brass in normal times it more available than most of the others on your list and economics of powder burn verses the increased performance of some of the others listed is nominal in my opinion. Full disclosure, I am a 300WM supporter. I own 3 of them.
Here's the performance daa for 2 of my rifles:
RBROS LWLRH 300WM
26" Broughton
215 Berger
76.7gr H1000
3060 fps

Win model 70
26" Shilen Match Select
215 Berger
76.5gr H1000
3003 fps

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.