Berger 30 cal 155 grain VLD for hunting?

Guy M

My Remington 700 has a 24" Krieger 1:12 barrel. It shoots the 155 gr Berger VLD bullet very well and I see that Berger classifies it as a hunting bullet now. I haven't had any trouble getting 2800+ fps with it and excellent accuracy.

Do you think there'd be any issue using it on mule deer, whitetail or pronghorn?

Normally I've hunted with the 165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip from this rifle, and it's done really well for me, but... Curious about the 155 gr Berger.

Thanks, Guy

Attachments

• Green Machine.jpg
    Green Machine.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 22
I shot an Antelope buck 4 years ago with a 308 win and 155 vld, can't remember the velocity. 250 yards behind the shoulder in and out with a baseball sized exit. Did the death run in a big circle for about 80 yards.

I would shoot them again if I had a 308 win.

I shot one 2 years ago at 50 (ish) yards using a 16" Rem 700 in 308 and a handloaded (mid range) 155 vld. It performed a lot like a varmint projectile and exploded inside the doe. She dropped in her tracks but EVERYTHING from her heart to her lungs and liver was complete mush.

Anything weighing 155gr and moving 2800fps is more than adequate for animals listed, so No issues, sure the heavier longer choices with a higher bc will increase your ability at long distances due to drift, but if your gun does the "very well" part as you mentioned, there should be no downside to ranges within the bullets capabilities, have a rem 700p 308 that like yours does very well with 150gr bullets in front of imr4064, right at the velocity you listed, put a 8z jewel trigger in it and has a 26" bbl, and to 500 yds if I do my part the bacon is coming home. Have better choices for longer work, it's fun though shooting a rifle that doesn't kill on both ends and you have a ton of confidence in

Thanks all. I've taken three mulies with my 25-06 and the 115 Berger VLD with excellent results at 175, 225, and 400 yards. Took another with the 180 gr Elite Hunter from my 30-06 rifle a couple of years ago at 350 yards, excellent results again.

I appreciate the info re your experiences with the 155 VLD from the 308 Winchester.

WVbearhunter - were you running a suppressor on that 16" 308 Win?

Thanks, Guy