30 baur magnum

ann brezinski

bruce baur made this up from the 300 weatherby I believe.
any one shooting this and what are your loads and thoughts on this round?
gary b

It still isn't a RUM. The case capacity is about 102grs versus 113ish for a 300RUM. I have one and use to kill a lot of rockchucks with it. I killed my first bull elk with a sporter version about 25 years ago also. It would shoot 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tips about 3550fps and it was pretty lethal to 800yds on rockchucks. I shot a few antelope out near 800yds too.

The 300 WBY, AI, and Baur are all pretty much clones. Some didn't like the Roy Double Radius shoulder or thought they could improve performance or simply liked to tinker. The "improvement" over the 300 WBY is almost non existent.

If you are building one, save yourself some time and just shoot the Roy. lightbulb

Tod

Bruce Baer uses the 340 WBY case on the 308 Baer.
He also uses that case on the 284 Baer.
It would have similar velocity to quite a few other 30 cal cartridges by other gunsmiths.
It has had a good accuracy track record at 1000 yd benchrest matches.

Bruce Baer uses the 340 WBY case on the 308 Baer.
He also uses that case on the 284 Baer.
It would have similar velocity to quite a few other 30 cal cartridges by other gunsmiths.
It has had a good accuracy track record at 1000 yd benchrest matches.

I use the 340 WBY case to shoot the 300 WBY. Same-same.

The 300 WBY, AI, and Baur are all pretty much clones. Some didn't like the Roy Double Radius shoulder or thought they could improve performance or simply liked to tinker. The "improvement" over the 300 WBY is almost non existent.

If you are building one, save yourself some time and just shoot the Roy. lightbulb

Tod

There is improvement. The case design of the .300 Ackley itself is a HUGE improvement over the double-radius venturi shoulder, whether velocity is even a factor of improvement or not...Which it is. More powder, more velocity, even if it's 100-150 fps.

Also, the Baer is nothing more than a .300 Ackley (which came first) with a 35º shoulder, instead of the 40º Ackley shoulder design.

I'll stick with my .300 Ackley. :cool:

There is improvement. The case design of the .300 Ackley itself is a HUGE improvement over the double-radius venturi shoulder, whether velocity is even a factor of improvement or not...Which it is. More powder, more velocity, even if it's 100-150 fps.

Also, the Baer is nothing more than a .300 Ackley (which came first) with a 35º shoulder, instead of the 40º Ackley shoulder design.

I'll stick with my .300 Ackley. :cool:

Improvement how? I guess there may be a 3% + or - velocity gain. When I was running the Weatherby in IBS 1k....back when I was a rookie... I REALLY enjoyed kicking *** on pretty much every 300"improved" case I came across the whole season. So, it's lost on me where all the improvement is.

Just sayin...in a hunting gun the 300 WBY should be the # 1 choice in that sized case as there is no Fire Forming needed. There is a whole lot of time/effort/powder being burnt for that case capable of a gain of 3%....not to mention the cost of the reamer rental or cost and custom dies. And, truth be told...if I could do it over again I would choose the lowly 300 Win Mag over the Wby...I think that it may be a tad more accurate and less "overkill" as far as being overbore. BUT, I was brought up on the WBY and had all of the stuff for it.

Also, with this much powder being burnt...and you just GOTTA have that extra 3 - 5%, simply move up to the rum or one of the 30's based off of the 338 Lapua case. WAY simpler then fire forming. And, this coming from a guy who LOVES fire forming.....just not in this big of a case. Now, the Dasher is a whole nuther story.

Again, just my .02,

Tod

I use the 340 WBY case to shoot the 300 WBY. Same-same.

You are correct, they are essentially the same case.
Just saying, that's the case he chooses to use for whatever his reason.
For that matter, the old 300 H&H case is the foundation for about all of them.
Talk to guys like him about the shoulder also, and you might come away with the opinion that it really don't mean didly squat.

I've done lots of the fireforming over the years with all kinds of long magnums too. I have a couple 30-8mm Rem mags because I don't have to fireform for them, just neck down 8mm mag brass, and they give up basically nothing to any of them.

You are correct, they are essentially the same case.
Just saying, that's the case he chooses to use for whatever his reason.
For that matter, the old 300 H&H case is the foundation for about all of them.
Talk to guys like him about the shoulder also, and you might come away with the opinion that it really don't mean didly squat.

If you use the 300 WBY (or the 300 HH) case you will need to expand the case and then neck it down part way to make a false shoulder....just like doing a dasher. If you use the 340 you can skip the expand step and simply neck down to the desiered length. Just simpler to use the 340 case.

Actually, you skip it all and just headspace off of the belt, but I feel you would get better cases by headspacing off of the shoulder.

Tod

I've done lots of the fireforming over the years with all kinds of long magnums too. I have a couple 30-8mm Rem mags because I don't have to fireform for them, just neck down 8mm mag brass, and they give up basically nothing to any of them.

That makes perfect sense. Same goes with the Edge.....simply size and shoot. The hardest part of this process is finding 7mmSTW/8mm Rem Mag or 300 Rum brass.

The 30Baer(35degree shoulder) 300Jarret (30-8mm rem mag), 30Hart (Ackley with less neck and shoulder blown farther forward) and 300 ackley are all very similar. They can be made from 300 weatherby or 300-375H&H. I own a 300 ackley. I run the 230gr berger @ 3100fps in the summer with a stout load of reloader 33. Its a weird large Bat action (same dimensions as a M model but bigger in dia) with a 30" Krieger. I prefer to use RWS 375 H&H brass over weatherby. Its a little more work but its tough stuff.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.