.30-338 win mag

DKRUC

Does anyone still shoot a .30-338 win mag? I know people do. I'm looking for brass to make the round out of. I've used 338 win mag and 308 norma mag to shoot out of my rifle. both shoot great, however hornady 338 win mag primer pockets blow out after a couple rounds and 308 norma mag is hard to come by. I've read a guy can make it out of 300 win mag or basically any belted mag depending on how much work you want to put in to making it. Just looking for some alternatives if anyone has any.

I've read a guy can make it out of 300 win mag or basically any belted mag depending on how much work you want to put in to making it. Just looking for some alternatives if anyone has any.

You just answered your own question. Any of the standard length (~2.500") belted magnum cases will work depending on how much work you feel like putting in.

Originally I used whatever I could get my hands on as long as the head stamp didn't come into play. Just be sure to have a good selection of dies available for conversions.

When we wanted a little more case capacity we used the .300 Win. Mag. cases and lived with the short neck.

If you really want to shake things up a little more, use the longer belted cases such as the 7mm STW, if you can find them. But stuffing them into an action after you decided to seat the bullets long will be another call for magazine and reamer modifications and other accessory manufacturers (more money).

Get a good book or resource with accurate cartridge case drawings. SAAMI has probably the best but it's a tad expensive.

Wildcatting and cartridge conversions are terrific processes which stimulates your thinking and stretches your mind. Fun stuff!

:)

Use 7Mag brass.I have two 308 Norma mags that are essentially the same as the 30-338 with a longer neck.I've made brass from 338 Win Mag,300 Win Mag and 7 Mag brass for them before I got some 308 Norma Mag brass.Making it from 300 Win Mag brass is the hardest because you have to move the shoulder back on the brass a good bit and reform a new one and then you have a long neck that has to be trimmed a good bit shorter.338 Win Mag brass necked down is easy,just run it through the die and you have your brass.The only problem is it is harder to find sometimes and can be expensive when you do.The easiest for me has been 7 Mag brass.One reason is I have a lot of 7 Mag brass on hand.Since the brass I have is once-fired it was already headed in the right direction,so it was an easy neck up.I started my load development with the 7Mag brass,but once I got my 308 Norma Mag brass,Norma brand,I had to back off my loads because the Norma brass was softer and I was losing my primer pockets after a round or two.Never had an issue with that on Remington or Winchester brass.The Remington 7Mag brass had a couple more grain capacity than the Winchester brass did.The Norma brass actually had a little more case volume when filled to the bottom of the neck than the other two.That small difference in case volume wasn't noticeable in accuracy.I think once you get into higher volume cases the less affect that seems to have.As for load data for the 30-338 you probably won't find too much data for it.Quick Load data tailored for your bullet and barrel length with multiple powders is probably your best bet since it will have the modern powders listed.Here is a Quick Load sheet I had someone run for me for my rifle at 63,250psi.The load data seems to be really close in my rifles.I'm loading a little under that to be able to save my Norma brass.My Winchester or Remington brass could handle this pressure.
308-nm-ql.jpg

I have same issue with Hornady brass. It is almost like it is too soft, 4 shots primers blow out. 7 mag seems to hold pretty well, just not Hornady brass. Have looked into Annealing brass, still looking, trying to extend neck and shoulder life. Getting expensive buying 338/7mm and deconstructing it just for brass.

Does anyone still shoot a .30-338 win mag? I know people do. I'm looking for brass to make the round out of. I've used 338 win mag and 308 norma mag to shoot out of my rifle. both shoot great, however hornady 338 win mag primer pockets blow out after a couple rounds and 308 norma mag is hard to come by. I've read a guy can make it out of 300 win mag or basically any belted mag depending on how much work you want to put in to making it. Just looking for some alternatives if anyone has any.
I do shoot a custom 30- 338 and a 308 Norma .The 308 Norma runs on Norma brass because I have enough for the life that I have left. I run 180 grains bullets in the rifle . The 30 - 338 is my go to for 210 - 215 grain bullets ,it's a tack driver with the Bergers. I have only used 338 nosler brass . Know all this stuff is getting so expensive. Still have 100 new so I'm ok for some time . I only use these two for hunting these days.Glad to see there's other old school guys out there !

Recent Posts