30/28 Nosler

I never said anything about the next node. I know for a fact you run 3100 even with .225 freebore you will be throwing Nosler brass in the garbage can after 3 reloads.
It's exactly why I said he made a good choice you stated it was a waste.
O.P go over to accurateshooter and search 30-28 theres some good reads from Alex and Ryan

I never said anything about the next node. I know for a fact you run 3100 even with .225 freebore you will be throwing Nosler brass in the garbage can after 3 reloads.
It's exactly why I said he made a good choice you stated it was a waste.
O.P go over to accurateshooter and search 30-28 theres some good reads from Alex and Ryan

I have 4 and five reloads on Nosler brass running that node so you are making a generalized statement that is not true but I have already said if you are insistent on running Nosler brass the 30-28 will be lower pressure. With ADG brass that is not the case. I also said ADG brass made it a waste and I will stand buy that. Case capacity rules and ADG 30 nosler brass is greater than 30-28 Nosler. If a guy is starting from scratch 30 Nosler with ADG will be a better option than a 30-28 with Nosler brass period. Not that it matters much because I understand who you are talking to but Ryan is the OP NOT Dan. Ryan already has a 30-28 Nosler and started the thread to talk about it.

Bottom line is both cartridges are absolutely awesome so you can't go wrong with either. Necking up is a simple task. Maybe someone could actually neck up ADG 28 brass and find the capacity or send me one piece of 28 ADG brass.

Alex has said the 30-28 will not get to the next node so no reason to run it. If you are hell bent on running Nosler brass then the 30-28 will be easier on brass no doubt. The ADG brass for the 30 nosler has slightly more capacity than Nosler 28 necked up so physics is going to do what it does here and the 30 nosler with ADG brass will be lower pressure than 30-28 nosler with nosler brass. Properly throated a 30 Nosler will run comfortably at 3100 with 215s in Nosler brass and even more so with ADG. Both are great cartridges but the fact is the ADG brass for the 30 Nosler made the 30-28 in Nosler brass a moot point. I have all the brass on hand. I have necked up 28 brass. I have owned 4 30 Noslers. These are the facts. The one wildcard to me is the case capacity of 28 nosler adg brass necked up. I am strictly speaking to H1000. N570 is a completely different animal.

Like Dan said he already has the components to it is a no brainer. I would pick your preferred bullet and do a ladder starting at 80 grains for the 230 and 82 for the 215 and work up in .5 increments. H1000 has huge lot to lot swings so your node could be 83 it could be 86(215).

Pretty much!! you can make any cartridge scream if you throw CRACK AT IT and a 28-30" barrel!! I base all rounds and their abilities around ole stand by h1000 and 26" barrels other wise the test are inconclusive and everyone has the fastest one made just ask em LOL. Its like the whole 28 nolser 195 combo at 3170-3200 mark!! *** ever!!! ive seen dozens of them not break the 3100 mark using 85-87gr rl33 in 26" barrels, so where are these others getting an extra 100 fps??

Last edited:
Yes, but necked up to 30 call its gonna have less capacity because it takes some of the shoulder necking up.

Yes, but necked up to 30 call its gonna have less capacity because it takes some of the shoulder necking up.

This is not the case. I am not asking for "usable" capacity that is not how I compare capacity. It is too arbitrary. Necking up from 28 to 30 usually adds roughly 1 grain of H20 capacity. In any case if you really want to compare 30-28 brass to 30 Nosler that is really the only way to make it apples to apples.

Can you measure H20 Capacity after necking up and firing? Maybe you already have that info? 30 Nosler ADG fired is 102grains. I come up with 101 for fired Nosler 28 necked up to 30.
even if its 105 that doesn't equate to being able to "slow it down" to 3100!!!
I am not sure what you are saying/implying?
sorry worded it wrong.. what i meant by that was ...the post's I read were implying they had a mild load for the 30-28 that was a measly 3100 and boring long use of their brass!