300wm, 28, 30, 30-28 noslers, and the 338 edge

Every 30 Nosler I have built runs 215s at 3100 with H1000 in 26". Loads are in the 83-85 grain window.

Alex, that is great velocity your getting with the 30 nosler. Especially with h1000. What free bore are you running and what is the aprox coal when touching the lands?

I am in the process of rebarreling a 28n and I seen that you have done a few 30-28 noslers. Do you think it would be worth doing a 30-28n? With the velocity your getting from the 30n it looks like there wouldn't be much gain?

I'm in the process of fine tuning loads with the new 28 Bertram brass. So far I really like it. I'm pretty much finding the RL33 to be a little slower with the 215 berger. I might play with RL33 and the 230 a little more.
My barrel must be a little slower but I'm at 3100 with 84grn RL 26 and just over 2900 with 84 gr of H1000. 3.685 OAL

It's fun to tinker and that's why I built the 30-28 Nosler
But for the money one would be ahead building a 300 WM.
I pulled out my old 30-338 win and decided to play with the same powders and bullets. I was really surprised to get the same fps with about 8-10 grains less powder than the 30-28 Nosler. I just recieved some 338 Win Mag brass that I'm putting powder in right now. The primer pockets on the Winchester 338 brass did not like me so gonna see how the bertram holds up. Fun times

Kris

.225" fb. Freebore is only a small part of achieving max velocity out of a barrel.
I do like the 30-28 Nosler over the 30 Nosler because you can run the 3100 node with a little less pressure. Until we get better brass, the Nosler cases will give up primer pockets in 5-6 loadings. The low node is low 3000s and is nicer to brass.

.225" fb. Freebore is only a small part of achieving max velocity out of a barrel.
I do like the 30-28 Nosler over the 30 Nosler because you can run the 3100 node with a little less pressure. Until we get better brass, the Nosler cases will give up primer pockets in 5-6 loadings. The low node is low 3000s and is nicer to brass.
Alex you can get Bertram 28 Nosler brass now.

Wounding game is worse for me than missing a target so I am every bit as picky about my hunting rifles as I would be with a match rifle. I am excited for the ADG 28 and 30 nosler cases. Thats some good brass from what I have seen so far. But with Lapua making 300 Norma (eventually I hope) I think we'll see more guys going that route.

Wounding game is worse for me than missing a target so I am every bit as picky about my hunting rifles as I would be with a match rifle. I am excited for the ADG 28 and 30 nosler cases. Thats some good brass from what I have seen so far. But with Lapua making 300 Norma (eventually I hope) I think we'll see more guys going that route.
I'm new to long range shooting so I'm not stretching my legs out far enough that a slight difference in brass weight is gonna be a deal. The gun is putting them in 1 hole at 100 yards with a led sled. My skills are more in question than the components at this point. But I'm slowly learning the little things and improving.

Kris

You will LOVE ADG BRASS!

You forgot the 300 Weatherby. Grand-daddy of the bunch that came out in 1944 and other calibers really live up to. I spit 210-215 grain bullets out of mine at 3100-3200 fps with a 28" barrel without high-pressure signs.

I see, the other part is just running at max. I was running at 3200 with 180's and n570, 26" barrel in my 28n. Nosler brass would go 6-7 firings. Fired only 2 shot strings before cooling and the barrel only made it 575 rounds.
I have 100 pieces of 28n Bertram brass and figured I could covert my redding type s 28n dies to load the 30-28n. Maybe it would be better to just go 300 norma. In Canada I can buy 300 norma lapua brass right now and it is half the price of nosler or Bertram brass for the 28n or 30n. The only thing I am unsure of is if the action on my CA ridgeline would be ok to open up for the 300 norma and would I be back in the same barrel burning range as my 28n. I would like to be able to double what I got out of the 28.

I see, the other part is just running at max. I was running at 3200 with 180's and n570, 26" barrel in my 28n. Nosler brass would go 6-7 firings. Fired only 2 shot strings before cooling and the barrel only made it 575 rounds.
I have 100 pieces of 28n Bertram brass and figured I could covert my redding type s 28n dies to load the 30-28n. Maybe it would be better to just go 300 norma. In Canada I can buy 300 norma lapua brass right now and it is half the price of nosler or Bertram brass for the 28n or 30n. The only thing I am unsure of is if the action on my CA ridgeline would be ok to open up for the 300 norma and would I be back in the same barrel burning range as my 28n. I would like to be able to double what I got out of the 28.
I use the 28 nosler type s die. With a .30 caliber bushing. It works but I might eventually have something made for it.

I use the 28 nosler type s die. With a .30 caliber bushing. It works but I might eventually have something made for it.
Did you have to get the neck shoulder junction just below the bushing opened up or does it clear a 30 cal neck? What did u do for a seater? I have the 28n competition seater.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.