30/28 Nosler

I went out to 600 today. Still trying to see if the load going horizontal on me was bipod loading or seating depth. I don't consider myself a consistent 600 yard shooter. Going back tomorrow to try 10-15-25-30 off. Today was all at .020 off.

Shot this at 600 today. .030 off. 3100 FPS. Little bit of side wind

Attachments

• 74196594-EC93-4737-9558-FC0219C17559.jpeg
    74196594-EC93-4737-9558-FC0219C17559.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 406
Rhovee,
just curious if you have been able to shoot anymore. after 18 months I've finally got my 30-28 and starting to shoot it.

What is your AOL length with the 215 hybrids? Have you played with the 230 hybrid yet? With mine the throat is short and I have to push them so far into the case.

so far it will put about any powder or bullet combo into 1 hole. I'm just struggling to get fps. RL26 puts me right under 3k fps and then I get extractor mark and primer puddle. I've got quite a bit of room left in the case for powder.
I'm going to try some slower powder. RL 33 and N570 next time out

Kris

I would pass on the RL33 due to temp stability. N570 is pretty good. I don't have a case with me but I can tell you that the bullet sits above the neck shoulder junction. You will have doughnuts form at the neck shoulder junction and should only be using a bullet that would sit in front of that or you will have issues. Sounds like you don't have enough free bore. It can be added pretty easily. My freebore was specific around the 215 Berger. What brass are you using?

Rhovee,
I'm playing with brass that I formed from Bertram 338 edge brass. I've used the 28 Nosler brass and had problems with it not being consistent with length and giving big swings with speed.
I fire formed the Bertram brass after making it and now with the first shots I'm happier with it. I just found Bertrambrass.com and will be buying some Bertram 28 Nosler brass to use and not have to make my own.

I am able to load a few more grains hotter with the Bertram brass.
I realize every barrel can be different but it's strange I'm struggling to get speeds with the 215 that guys get with a 230.
That's why I was kinda curious if I need to make an adjustment to my chamber/throat.
Basically the Smith used a 30 Nosler reamer and just run it in a little deeper to make it the same depth as the 28 Nosler.
My OAL on the 215 hybrids is 3.6 and I'd have to look and see where my lands are off that. I can't remember exactly right now.
Kris

I am around 3.7. So .100 more freebore would do it. And you need to see what your neck clearance is. To tight off neck will have pressure sooner. I had the exact opposite with Bertram. Hit pressure sooner and brass wasn't near consistent.

Rhovee, Any more load data and experience? Have you done any load data with 200 and 212 Hornady ELD-X's? I'm also interested in your Neck size, Freebore and lead diameter.

I built a 30-28 Nosler with a freebore of 0.1697 but soon realized it was too short. I'm going to have my second one built but I'm ordering a reamer with a freebore of 0.2328. The COAL of this rifle with 200 gr Hornady ELD-Xs will be 3.606" and with 212 ELD-X's 3.658". This will then allow it to fit in a standard Remington 700 Long action.

I'm interested in finding a group to share info with to improve my second experience with the 30-28.

With my first build I settled on RL26 with velocities up to 3126 with 200 gr ELD-x and round primers with no bolt or sticky cases issue. They did however have primer puddles. I was using converted 7mm Rem RUM brass. At 83.5 gr of RL26 the velocity was 3179 but I had a primer punch through. The escaping gas bent my firing pin but again no sticky bolt issues. I passed it off as a mistake of mixing case brands. This one was a necked up 28 Nosler piece of brass. Attached is a picture.

As I said I want to share and learn from others with this wildcat. On thing I will do with my new build will try H1000.

20160917_221607.jpg

I never tried any other bullets besides the 215 Bergers. I had quite a bit of freebore. You need to make sure that the bullet is about .040-.050 above the neck shoulder junction . My rifle liked .0030 off the lands, so this put the bullet above the doughnut. ADG should be dropping 28 Nosler brass soon. That should really help things out. I used H1000. N570, RL 26, would also work well. If you wanting to get your own reamer made, i would wait tell ADG makes the brass and then load a dummy round and send it off. Key with any wildcat that creates doughnuts is to pick a bullet and stick with it. 212 ELDX or 215 Berger should see you good at 3100. Or i would get ahold of Alex Wheeler for a re-barrel. He has built many of them including mine.

I use a 21st Century Shooting expander die and outside neck turner to remove the doughnut and get the neck thickness I need. I then resize with my sizing die to get the neck tension that's needed. This solves the the doughnut issue.

I have consider a longer feebore of 0.2767 which gives a COAL with 212 gr ELD-X of 3.702" and the 200 gr at 3.630". This puts the boattail junction and the neck junction at the same point. This would then require me to purchase an Wyatt Extended well magazine and bottom metal, which I'm not apposed to doing. I did that recently with a 270 WSM. However, I have to balance that with the benefit which for me is difficult to measure. I see the benefit from increased FB from my first build, but going to from a 0.2328" to 0.2767" of FB, is it enough of a benefit.

Rhovee,

Was wondering if you had run any Quickload calculations with H1000 and your cartridge configuration and compared it to actuals? I did this with my previous 30-26 Nosler with the shorter throat and the gap between Quickload estimate and actual velocity increased in positive way as the powder load increased. Attached is the example with the shorter throat and COAL, 200 gr Hornady ELD-X's and RL26.

30-28 Load Data.PNG

I just ran some new Quickload calculations with the 212 gr Hornady ELD-X and as I increased the COAL that my previous rifle had to 3.658 that I am planning on using and then to 3.7 where your are, the pressures went down with both RL 26 and H1000. I do wish the prediction was closer to actuals but then Quickload still is the only tool I know of that allows this and it does come fairly close.

I don't have quickload. I do know that they are off on the 28 Nosler and 30 Nosler. I let formed brass tell me where pressure is.

Rhovee,

For fun I ran your load data through Quickload. Looks like the pressure calculation from Quickload validates what you were seeing in your actual loading. The variation from QL velocity estimates and actuals are what I have seen before with the 30-28 Nosler. It's just a tool to get us close.

I'm going to build another one of these but will be going with a 28 inch Proof Carbon barrel this time and longer throat.

Thanks for inspiring me again!

Rhovee Quickload.PNG

Rhovee,
I'm wondering how things are going with your 30 28 Nosler. I have a new proof research 28 in 30 caliber Barrel that I'm getting ready to do a build on and I'm stuck between the 300 rum and doing a 30 - 28 Nosler with a longer throat than my old one. Was wondering what your thoughts and the thoughts of the Forum was.

I don't have my 30/28 anymore but it's a solid round. ADG makes brass for its now and it's great. You really don't need more than a 215 going 3100