30-28 Nosler Wildcat

We have the 27 Nosler built on a trued 700 Action. This exact thing happened to us. Was working up using RE26 watching bolt lift, primer, and velocity. When we hit pressure, saw hole in primer and bolt would not cock after. Had to take the Jewell to smith to have the sear reset.

We were using 28 Nosler (Nosler brand) brass and necking it down to 27. Since have backed down to grains and all is good.
Brian

Bspooley,
I talked with Hornady today. I need to come up with a parent cartridge to send them like you said. Where do I get one? By parent are they referring to a RUM case or do I need to find a 30-28 nosler case some how? I'm new to this part of wildcats.

Reamer is on the way from PTG

Kris

Kris,

Let me make sure I understand what you are doing. If you are having Hornady make you a set of custom 30-28 Nosler reloading dies then the parent case you send them is the 28 Nosler as it has the same shoulder as the 30-28 Nosler

If in stead you asking them to build you a set of reforming dies to say go from a 300 Ultra Mag to a 30-28 Nosler then the parent case you send would be a 300 Ultra Mag case.

Does that make sense?

Bruce

Yes that clears it up. I'm doing both so I will need to send them both. I was thinking 1 case for both jobs but now it makes more sense.
Now I just need to get my hands on a 28 or 26 nosler case for the loading dies. I have the Bertram Rum cases that I will be using so I'll just send them 1 of those for the reforming dies.

Thanks
Kris

I talked with Hornady today. I need to come up with a parent cartridge to send them like you said. Where do I get one? By parent are they referring to a RUM case or do I need to find a 30-28 nosler case some how? I'm new to this part of wildcats.

Kris

Not the same wildcat as yours but John Whidden built me a hydraulic forming
die off my custom reamer's blueprint ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/KCqb_7UYh9k?t=3[/ame]

and custom reloading dies (Custom Reloading Dies – Whidden Gunworks) from 3 fired brass off my rifle's chamber for my .30 Lara (.300 Jarrett improved).

Whidden%20notice_zpsc4uhccbd.jpg

8MM%20Rem%20Mag%20to%20.30%20Lara_zpsbkt6bf0s.jpg

From L to R

1 - Virgin 8MM Rem Mag brass
2 - 8MM Rem Mag after a couple of whacks off the forming die
3 - After resizing
4 - Fireformed off my rifle's chamber

Bspooley,

Kris

Hi Kris,

You may or may not know that I have been shooting a 30-28 Nosler aka 308-26 Nosler for a couple years. Basically as soon as the 26 Nosler came out I made 27-26N 28N, 30-26N and 338-26N.

The 27 and 28 were sold for only one reason, they were on R700 actions. I shoot Weatherby and have barrels for new ones.

I have some suggestions for you:

1) Get a 28 Nosler die set 28 Nosler- MidwayUSA then send it to:
JLC Precision (Jim Carstensen)
[email protected]
13095 450th Ave
Bellevue, IA 52031
Shop phone: (563) 689-6258, cell: (563) 212-2984
Tell him you are making a 30 cal.

2) Get a PBike257 Wildcatters setback die set for magnums, that is what I use.

3) Get someone's fired 30-28N (aka 30-26N, 300-26Nm 308/26N) cases fired in a chamber made with the PTG reamer. (Hmm who could that be?)

I am learning how to make HydroForm dies. I don't like the ones on a press as I don't want to be pounding on my press. I am working on a different system that will not require the case to be primed, will not pound on the press.

I'll let you know when it works.

I am learning how to make HydroForm dies. I don't like the ones on a press as I don't want to be pounding on my press. I am working on a different system that will not require the case to be primed, will not pound on the press.

I'll let you know when it works.

Looking forward to what you come up with.

I purchased an old press for close to nothing specifically for hydraulic forming.

RCBS%20JR3_zpsi8cz9xlp.jpg

Jfseaman I am very familiar with your work on the 26 wildcats. I've read all the post on this form about the 26 nosler wildcats at least 5x. Thank you very much for the added info. It gives me more to research and learn. The hydroform dies sound interesting. I'll be looking into that. Thanks for the contract info for JLC. I did leave them a message a few weeks ago and didn't hear anything back so I called Hornady. I'll try the other contact numbers for JLC as I think that will save me some Mooney for the loading dies.

I'll message you when I get ready to load and pick your brain on some loads

Thanks again for all the work on this.

Kris

I spoke with a company today at the Puyallup Sportsman show and the rep told me they are currently testing 28 Nosler brass made by Bertram. They have 50,000 pieces on order. Currently their testing is showing a considerable difference in strength and consistency.

Kris

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.