30-06

If the bullets do what they say they do..then to me that is all that really matters..I am curious as to how you derived your data if the BC's are off..or if you have the data..and don't want to start any Pmatches..please feel free to PM me..

PS...any pics of the mulie...? Love to see them if you do..

Thanks Again

Mac

Mac,

When I first tried the GS bullets, the 150HV's were running one full moa low at 700yrds out of the 30-06. Since then they have slightly changed the design of the bullet, and adjusted the bc's. They now seem to run with the advertised bc's out to a thousand yards. My 1000yrd testing has been out of a hot 30 cal, and has been pointed out (rightfully) that a 1000yrd is not far enough to really know if the advertised bc's are accurate. What I do know is that they are accurate enough to get me on target as well as the Noslers and bergers that I have tried. The "old style" GS bullets did not get me where I wanted. I have not tried them any further. I tried the Nosler E-tip out to 1200yrds last year and they were great to 1000yrds but I could not hit rocks at 1200yrds. It is either me, the equipment, the load, or the bullet. My guess is all of the above. I am planning on going out tomorrow to do a little rock shooting. I'll try and stretch the GS 177g out past 1000yrds and see if I can connect.

Steve

PS look in the long range hunting forum for the '09 MT hunting trip. All of the animals in that were taken w/ GS bullets.

lapua brass; 50.5 of varget with a 168 berger. for elk federal high energy 180 nosler partition

61 gr of RE-22 and 180 Accubond= Rock and Roll.... add a Lupie Tactical and you are ready to become addicted like the rest of us.

My favorite load in the 06 are:

For deer 168 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip, 59 grains RL17, 200 CCI primers, 3.410 OAL. This load clocks 3012 FPS and according to Quickload runs at 65kpsi.

For elk 200 grain accubond 53.5 grains RL17, 200 CCI primers, 3.410 OAL. This load clocks 2700 fps and is less than 65kpsi according to quickload. I have at least 9 reloads with the cases and they are still good.

I also loaded 180 grain accubonds, 56.5 grains RL17, 200 CCI primer, 3.410 OAL. This load clock 2820 FPS I do not know the psi according to quick load. This load makes one hole with my factory 22" barreled 06. All the bullets are approx 10 thousands from the lands.

61 gr of RE-22 and 180 Accubond= Rock and Roll.... add a Lupie Tactical and you are ready to become addicted like the rest of us.

Awesome...Thanks

Don't know when I can spring for another Lupie..but have the Warne base for it already..

Thanks

Mac

My favorite load in the 06 are:

For deer 168 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip, 59 grains RL17, 200 CCI primers, 3.410 OAL. This load clocks 3012 FPS and according to Quickload runs at 65kpsi.

For elk 200 grain accubond 53.5 grains RL17, 200 CCI primers, 3.410 OAL. This load clocks 2700 fps and is less than 65kpsi according to quickload. I have at least 9 reloads with the cases and they are still good.

I also loaded 180 grain accubonds, 56.5 grains RL17, 200 CCI primer, 3.410 OAL. This load clock 2820 FPS I do not know the psi according to quick load. This load makes one hole with my factory 22" barreled 06. All the bullets are approx 10 thousands from the lands.

Nice...very nice..

Seems like a-lot of folks are getting good performance out of the 180 Accubonds...which is nice to know...

Thank You

Mac

Hello All, Just thought that I would comment on the 30-06. This past summer I picked up a 03A3 that had been sporterized. I had never owned a 30-06 before. In fact I had traded for it at a gun show,with no intentions of keeping it as I am a dealer. When going through it before selling I noticed some rust in the barrel and decied that I would shoot it to see if I had been taken and would not want to sell it to anyone if it shot lousey. Because what I saw down that bore when I cleaned it made me sick. Anyway I put a second hand scope on it that I had taken off of some other rifle which was a Tasco with a range finder that Tasco made quite a few years ago. I had a box of Federal 180's a friend had given me. Well they shot pretty good, but I was not happy with the groups. So I ordered some Berger 168 gr. VLD Hunting bullets to try. Because I had picked up a Ruger 77 in .308 with a heavy varmint barrel. Been wanting to try Berger bullets anyway.
Started out with Federal Brass and Fed.210 primers,and 55.0 grains of Big Game. I fired three three shot groups and they printed less than 1/2" groups.
The rifle is no longer for sale and I want to put a better scope on,but If it ain't broke don't fix it.
The Berger VLD hunting bullets made this rifle a favorite shooter for me. I killed a deer this year with it and the 168 gr.VLD did a supper Job. I plan on trying 500Yrd shots with it in the near future.
ejboy

Hello All, Just thought that I would comment on the 30-06. This past summer I picked up a 03A3 that had been sporterized. I had never owned a 30-06 before. In fact I had traded for it at a gun show,with no intentions of keeping it as I am a dealer. When going through it before selling I noticed some rust in the barrel and decied that I would shoot it to see if I had been taken and would not want to sell it to anyone if it shot lousey. Because what I saw down that bore when I cleaned it made me sick. Anyway I put a second hand scope on it that I had taken off of some other rifle which was a Tasco with a range finder that Tasco made quite a few years ago. I had a box of Federal 180's a friend had given me. Well they shot pretty good, but I was not happy with the groups. So I ordered some Berger 168 gr. VLD Hunting bullets to try. Because I had picked up a Ruger 77 in .308 with a heavy varmint barrel. Been wanting to try Berger bullets anyway.
Started out with Federal Brass and Fed.210 primers,and 55.0 grains of Big Game. I fired three three shot groups and they printed less than 1/2" groups.
The rifle is no longer for sale and I want to put a better scope on,but If it ain't broke don't fix it.
The Berger VLD hunting bullets made this rifle a favorite shooter for me. I killed a deer this year with it and the 168 gr.VLD did a supper Job. I plan on trying 500Yrd shots with it in the near future.
ejboy

That is cool...Congrats on a gunshow find...and Thanks for the data..Hope it shoots good for you at 500 yards

Mac

I am wanting to work up loads for the 168 grain Berger with 4831sc.

Anyone have an idea where the upper end of this would be?

I noticed on the first page of this thread that for the heavier bullt, a load several grains higher was noted.

Basically, what is the effect of bullet weight on pressures??

If the powder charge is the same, barrel etc, but the bullet weight is reduced, is there a rule of thumb on what happens to pressures?

Thanks~Aldon

Great too see so many folks still using the 30-06. I don't use 30-06 for any LRH but, do enjoy shooting paper with it for the last 40 years. IMHO it's a great all around cartridge particularly east of the Mississippi.

I like the 180's in mine, recoil isn't an issue and it is a fairly light rifle. They sure handle the wind better and if you can get your hands on some Accubond seconds, it is pretty cheap to shoot.

So far..we have the 168 grain WSBT's,the 180 Nosler Accubonds,and the 150grain GS HV custom bullet..and the 168 grain Berger..

With these choices,which powder/primer do you think will give the best consistancy hot or cold, and what type of velocities should I realisticly hope for from a 24" tube?

One other thing..I have a very good friend who swears by his 26" 30-06 AI..How do you guys feel about this conversion..Yea or Nay on the 24" tube..or go with a longer one down the road?

Mac

I LOVE THE .3006.....This is a deer killer..I have shot deer at 400 yards and they lay down.
They die of lead poisining.
Realy...One of my friends has a .3006 I gave him 10 years ago.
He has shot Caribou, over 5 Moose and a bunch of Deer. and he loves it and I love the one I own.
If I get my hands on a good Springfield action that measurs to spec I grabbit. its easy to make a Rifle that shoots under one inch at 100 yards.
use a 165 gr Bullit by Nosler SBT with a touch of Dupont IMR 4064 (44.8) i also use the 150gr Nosler Partition with a touch of Dupont IMR 4064 using 54.3grs there SBT work better at 500 yards the .3006 is one of the Three kings for hunting.
I have used Reloader-15 on both. It works real good also.
KC.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.