30-06 over 308

And as far as build gos I will be changing stocks for hs and using wyatt extended box and hinge floor plate or wyatt dbm and have action trued and bedded and trigger tech trigger or timney and if funds allow me to change caliber I will probably do a badger recoil lug and a #5 or #6 fluted barrel threaded either hart or bartlin or Krieger any of them in 5r finished 25 inches with brake may consider a remaged as well
Good job Sam on your components for your build. With two .308's, I don't think adding a 30-06 would really expand your collection. You could consider a 300 PRC (Wyatt's has a 300 PRC extended mag kit that works great with either a BDL or DBM system). This caliber will give you a 'wow! what power' rifle to your collection.
I see your from N. Carolina, and if deer is your main wild game, I would go to a 6.5 Creedmoor. Lots of bullets and ammo are available for this newbie.

Really? You're serious about this? So you have personally shot a 308 with 24" or shorter barrel that will safely push 150 grain bonded hunting bullets over 3000 fps and up to 3150 fps?

This I gotta see...

I ain't even from Missouri and I'm thinkin' "Show me!"
Not exactly sure what you are referring to in the quote but my point was to say I agree with most of the commentators above that there is not enough difference to justify one over the other and that I simply like the 308 better. I would and did agree with the point I would go 300WM if I already had a 308 and bypass the 06, which was his question.
Now that we have clarified that that let me get to your question and show you and no I never have nor did I say I had pushed a 308 out of a 24" barrel at 3150 and I am willing to bet an 06 will not like it much for accuracy. So back to the land of reality most 06' and 308 come standard with 22" barrels through which you can put a 150 grain 308 out at about 2850 to 2950 accurately and safely. The 30-06 in the same gun will do 3050 to 3100, that is a difference of 100 to 150fps. If you run those number on a ballistics calculator at 400 yards guess what? The 06 yields 250 more ft lbs of energy hardly significant enough to warrant one over the other. Real word observations tend to agree,as the 30 cal is an excellent choice in any of its variants, never seen a deer go I think that was an 06 150 gr. Amax traveling at 3150 over or against a 308 loaded the same way. Apple to apples they are very similiar at ranges inside 500 yards and I would not suggest using either beyond that for hunting purposes on large game. Just my opinion. Again, as I suggested and quoted in the original post, the 06 delivers a little more energy and the 308 seems to be slightly easier to tune for accuracy but the difference between the two is negligible at best. Blessings!

You said you may go Savage, look at the Long-range Hunter. It comes in everything you are thinking about except 30-06 sadly. But, the 280 AI, or 300 PRC are very cutting edge and it does come in them. If you would like to be able to change calibers the Savage would be more advantgeous with it's barrel nut design, as long as you stay with a similar bolt face size cartridges. So let's say you try it in 280 AI first, you could have a 30-06 barrel made for it, you would then have both. Same with the magnum calibers, 7mm, 300WM, 300 WSM, 300 PRC.

Really? You're serious about this? So you have personally shot a 308 with 24" or shorter barrel that will safely push 150 grain bonded hunting bullets over 3000 fps and up to 3150 fps?

This I gotta see...

I ain't even from Missouri and I'm thinkin' "Show me!"
One other note of mention on the subject: You may want to check out Hornady's superperformance ammo. It is factory loaded 308 out of a 24" barrel at 3000 fps. Just saying!😁

Not exactly sure what you are referring to in the quote but my point was to say I agree with most of the commentators above that there is not enough difference to justify one over the other and that I simply like the 308 better. I would and did agree with the point I would go 300WM if I already had a 308 and bypass the 06, which was his question.
Now that we have clarified that that let me get to your question and show you and no I never have nor did I say I had pushed a 308 out of a 24" barrel at 3150 and I am willing to bet an 06 will not like it much for accuracy. So back to the land of reality most 06' and 308 come standard with 22" barrels through which you can put a 150 grain 308 out at about 2850 to 2950 accurately and safely. The 30-06 in the same gun will do 3050 to 3100, that is a difference of 100 to 150fps. If you run those number on a ballistics calculator at 400 yards guess what? The 06 yields 250 more ft lbs of energy hardly significant enough to warrant one over the other. Real word observations tend to agree,as the 30 cal is an excellent choice in any of its variants, never seen a deer go I think that was an 06 150 gr. Amax traveling at 3150 over or against a 308 loaded the same way. Apple to apples they are very similiar at ranges inside 500 yards and I would not suggest using either beyond that for hunting purposes on large game. Just my opinion. Again, as I suggested and quoted in the original post, the 06 delivers a little more energy and the 308 seems to be slightly easier to tune for accuracy but the difference between the two is negligible at best. Blessings!

This is a framed argument though. Put a 200 gr bullet in the 06 and rerun your numbers. The big sleek bullets everyone wants to shoot run better, significantly better from an 06. I'm pushing a 200 gr Sierra gameking from a 22 inch barrel at 2685 with RL-16. Compare that to a 308 and the 06 is the clear winner. This isn't even a hot load

Your assumptions about accuracy are just that. Assumptions.

I have never seen a 308 push a 150 over about 2850 "accurately" as you say. As I said, I have never owned 308 so admittedly my exposure is limited. You did seem to tout the 308 in the post I questioned. Or that was my reading of it. I'm all for agreeing to disagree.

I do agree with you that an 06 in the op's arsenal is probably not optimum.

Blessings to you and yours too.

Sounds like you have a great build plan. I went with a 7 SAUM which is very similar to the 280AI but on a short action. I like shorter rifles so every bit adds up 😆. Look at the BC on the .284 180 eldm! You have to go 225gr in 30 cal to Beat it. Very efficient cartridge and will extend your range way past the 308!

I've never "lost" ammo and had to run to a local hardware store to buy some. Would not worry about that at all. Bring a back up 308 if you are worried.

Love the 7saum but remember, it takes a magnum bolt face.

I have never had a Rem 700 fail me . Back to size of bore and bullet I have a 338 rum that shoots 200 grain accubonds @ 3220 but I shoot the 06 more because of cost and it's just like having spam in the cabinet.if you need it you have it

I've had great success with Remington 700 and I have no qualms over buying a new one or vintage.

The average person doesn't shoot his rifle enough to wear it out.

My current Remington 700 is an SPS Varmint 26-inch heavy barrel in .22-250

.30-06 is more versatile than the .308, by virtue of it's greater powder capacity. Both probably share ammo availability.
My first somewhat custom rifle was a .30-06 ADL, which was at an excellent price. I now have 4 .30-06 rifles.

None of the belted magnums are as versatile as an '06 when it comes to reduced loads, with a given optimum powder, because they won't generally tolerate greatly reduced pressures with optimal powders. That said, reduced loads can be derived for the big cases, with a bit of research and a powder like Trail Boss, or double- based pistol powders.

I have an '06 turkey and small game load using 110 gr. Speer TMJ carbine bullets, which shoots +/- 1.5" out to 115 yds. and 220 gr. loads over 2500fps, in case of rampaging buffaloes and have loads for everything in between.
I can push a 150 gr. bullet around 3150 fps out of all four rifles and a .308 can't do that.

If the choice was only between .308 and .30-06, the '06 is the clear winner.

Hello all as title says I've been thanking about buying a Remington 700 adl in 30-06 to do my first semi custom rifle build and my question is is there really a need for a 30-06 if I already have 2 308s I do have everything but brass to load for a 30-06 but up to 175 grain bullets what can a 30-06 give me over my 308 for whitetailto elk.if I do not buy a 30-06 I will most likely try to find a 300 wm or 300 wsm. Thanks in advance
see if this helps with your decision. 7 Remington Mag 180 grain Berger Bullets. A 30-06 will get 200 more FPS than a 308 with the same bullet. IMO I just don't see the purpose if you all ready have 2 308s. I would just choice a different caliber. Have fun and good luck.

I would agree that there are examples of both outperforming each other up to the 150gn class, as the ballistic difference is small given all things equal, but the industry average maximum pressure is 52000 cup for .308 and 50000 for 30-06.
As my posts mentions, if you have 308s I'd rather go with the a magnum 30 cal than compare 308 to 30-06.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a framed argument though. Put a 200 gr bullet in the 06 and rerun your numbers. The big sleek bullets everyone wants to shoot run better, significantly better from an 06. I'm pushing a 200 gr Sierra gameking from a 22 inch barrel at 2685 with RL-16. Compare that to a 308 and the 06 is the clear winner. This isn't even a hot load
I
Okay In the spirit of friendly argument lets open this can of worms all the way. First, let me say I am an 06 fan. It is the Jack of all trades, Scottsdale pickup truck of the gun world. That said, I think the 308 is a more efficient cartridge as well as the 300WM on the other side of it. There is a reason the US military choose the 308 over the 3006 and still use it as their primary sniper rifle along with the 300WM. There is also a reason most competitive bench rest shooters for years have chosen 308 based cases rather than 06. You can push a 220gr 308 at 2500-2550fps again about 100 to 150 fps less with far less powder. On the other side of that the 300WM can push a 215gr berger at 2850 and stay supersonic beyond a mile. This is what I run in my personal gun, a 27" sako, shoots 1/2 moa @ 100 and 1/3-1/4 moa to 1250. Those are the averages of a 10shot group at varying yards with more than 300 rounds through the gun. Anything an 06 can do a 308 can do almost as well and more efficiently and a 300WM can do significantly better. Because the original poster ask if he should consider an 06 when he already owns two 308's I said no but to consider a 300WM. In full disclosure 300WM is my personal favorite do it all long range big game cartridge and the one I own now is one of the most accurate I have ever owned. Again just my opinion and experience.

The 308, 30-06 and 30 PRC all shoot the same bullets.
Your 308's are already great.

If you want bigger for elk, I would consider the 338WM (or a 338PRC [=340Weath] if you want to tinker).
A Remington action should allow long boutique bullets to be seated out for 3.6" COAL. Decide on your max bullet and distance and then get a magazine size that will allow it and order a barrel with the correct twist.

Extra thought: make sure that the final product is one that you are happy carrying around the mountains. Tikka used to make an accurate 338WM factory offering. It is nice and light. You should be able to find a custom that could duplicate that weight.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I personally shoot an 06. My sons both shoot 06, and my hunting buddy shoots an 06. We all mostly head and neck shoot everything, and I guess we just like them. If you ever have to slop shoot a whitetail with one of those big magnums you will be hating life! My buddy ribcaged one with a 7mm mag, and that's why he shoots an 06 now. But we enjoy eating what we kill! Hard to eat the bloodshot carnage that a 300 thunderbooming loudenbanger leaves. But that's just my .02 worth. I would say it depends on what you want to kill, and how much killing it needs! I never saw a whitetail deer needed that much killing.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.