30-06 over 308

If you want something bigger, why not truly expand your portfolio a full step and get a 338wm? Or if you are just looking for to build a gun for giggles, you are already covered up to elk (albeit bigger 30s and the 338 are better), so go with a 6.5 and have a new/sexy, very pleasant to shoot and very accurate gun up to 140gr.

I was thinking the same thing or at least a 338-06 using the same cases, but allowing for heavier bullets, as if you need heavier since it handles a 210 grain beautifully.

see if this helps with your decision. 7 Remington Mag 180 grain Berger Bullets. A 30-06 will get 200 more FPS than a 308 with the same bullet. IMO I just don't see the purpose if you all ready have 2 308s. I would just choice a different caliber. Have fun and good luck.

If memory serves me correctly , the youth shooting the Elk in the video is the son of Aaron Davidson , founder of Gunwerks , and the young man is shooting a rifle in 7 LRM (7mm Long Range Magnum) , which was shooting the 180 gr. bullet at 3150 FPS.
7 LRM has larger case capacity than a 7mm Remington Magnum .
You can check with Gunwerks to verify the cartridge .

If you have two .308's don't build another (.06)
If you want a bigger hole make one of your '08s into a .338 Federal.
If you want more distance and don't want to punish your shoulder or build a flame thrower .280AI.
To stay in .30 cal and thump Elk .300WM and every mom and pop has ammo.
If I was going to do a short fatty 7SAUM for sure.
Wait! I have done all these but the SAUM....I'm going to catch heck if the wife sees this lol!
I have been looking at the 338 federal for brush gun I'm mainly looking for farther reach and more thump

Come on!

we are all rifle loonies! we KNOW how this will go .....

you have some .308s, you WILL build the perfect rifle in .30-06 and before its completed you'll be dreaming of and planning out your .300 Win Mag and by the time you get a good load worked up for the '06, you will be collecting the components for the next build....

and this time next year you'll be posting "I've got .308, .30-06, .300WM and .300WSM, I'm planning a .25/7mm/6mm/6.5mm build what stock/action/barrel/mounts/scope/trigger should I get.... etc etc etc etc..... "

have fun! shoot good!

Poole
(right now, my browser has 4 open tabs on Gunbroker pages and 6 open to gunsinternational pages.... its a disease, there is no known cure....)
Yea your right that's how I figure it will go at this point and time I just would like to be able to reach out farther and be able to have the thump for elk past 500 and not have to thank twice about time and my dad are trying to plan a elk hunt for next year hopefully

Hello all as title says I've been thanking about buying a Remington 700 adl in 30-06 to do my first semi custom rifle build and my question is is there really a need for a 30-06 if I already have 2 308s I do have everything but brass to load for a 30-06 but up to 175 grain bullets what can a 30-06 give me over my 308 for whitetailto elk.if I do not buy a 30-06 I will most likely try to find a 300 wm or 300 wsm. Thanks in advance
The 06 is going to have more horse power period. I dont care what you think about the 308. The 06 is just more and with heavier bullets. Now if you want to get alot more,and pay for it. Then you can't beat a 300 or 338 for north America. But my bias is 223 243 264 wn mag and 3006. Not that I dont like 300 and 338. Oh and love 375 ruger for bear. But these are my babies.

Well....my 2 ¢ worth!
I would keep it in .30-06 if it's an older Remington 700 ADL, because of collectors value.
The .30-06 shines with heavier bullets, 180 gr to 250 gr than the .308.
Now, new powders like StaBall 6.5, and Reloder 26, will get you higher velocities without excessive pressure in the .30-06 range ( 60,000 psi ) 50,000 CUP.
But, I'm surprised no one has said this, you can up the pressures of the 06, to .270 pressures, and you start to get a different animal with the .30-06. You start getting velocities, as someone else said, in the .300 WSM area, without the bellow, and kick of a magnum. Also, if you're looking at a .280 AI, then you can go to a good gunsmith, and have them turn your regular 06 into a .30-06 AI, and you will get more velocities even still, without all the miss and fuss of a Mag.
Ok, well, I hope I have given you some food for thought.
I have considered a 30-06 ai but if I do that I'll end up going ahead and doing a custom build because the factory pencil barrel and any thang above a hot loaded 30-06 I would want a brake on due to other people shoot my rifes and I want to be able to shoot comfortable

The 308 is my choice and has been for 45 years. The 30-06 only gets about 100 FPS velocity than the 308. I have shot 1000 yards accurately with my 308 many, many times. The 308 gives you a shorter bolt pull and a shorter cartridge than the 30-06 and a slightly lighter rifle. I will stick with my 308 and 168 grain B.T.H.P. bullets.
I respect the guys that have gone long distance with the 308, just remember us recruited were blasting away for years with th 06. I have been shooting it for over 30 years and have no problem with open sites at 1200 yes. On game I back off to 500 for deer and 300 for elk. My personal pref. For the sake of game and fair chase.
The 308 is my choice and has been for 45 years. The 30-06 only gets about 100 FPS velocity than the 308. I have shot 1000 yards accurately with my 308 many, many times. The 308 gives you a shorter bolt pull and a shorter cartridge than the 30-06 and a slightly lighter rifle. I will stick with my 308 and 168 grain B.T.H.P. bullets.
I respect the 308. It will not match up to the 06. Hand load it and see. I have other favorites how ever, with out going magnum the 06 is my go to. So is the 223 and 243 and the 270. One over the 06 in my opinion is 264 wm.

Well....my 2 ¢ worth!
I would keep it in .30-06 if it's an older Remington 700 ADL, because of collectors value.
The .30-06 shines with heavier bullets, 180 gr to 250 gr than the .308.
Now, new powders like StaBall 6.5, and Reloder 26, will get you higher velocities without excessive pressure in the .30-06 range ( 60,000 psi ) 50,000 CUP.
But, I'm surprised no one has said this, you can up the pressures of the 06, to .270 pressures, and you start to get a different animal with the .30-06. You start getting velocities, as someone else said, in the .300 WSM area, without the bellow, and kick of a magnum. Also, if you're looking at a .280 AI, then you can go to a good gunsmith, and have them turn your regular 06 into a .30-06 AI, and you will get more velocities even still, without all the miss and fuss of a Mag.
Ok, well, I hope I have given you some food for thought.
Perfectly stated my friend. No way can a 308 do this.

The higher pressure limit of the 308 can meet or exceed the velocity of a 30-06 up to about 150gn, so the 30-06 only gives you an advantage of bigger bullets. I like the idea of staying with 30 cal bullets but I'd lean towards the 300wsm/wm/other to extend your velocity range.
The new hammer bullet just changed all that.

I would opt for at least a hinged floor plate on the Rem 700. As far as caliber 30-06 with 180 grain wins out over the 308 especially if you are handloading. The 30-06 has some very fast factory loads available now.
If you don't mind the extra recoil the 300 magnums give you more range. I have a 300 wsm which has accounted for several moose at over 400 yds but I have also shot quite a few moose with the 30-06 and 308 just at 300 yds or less. Remember the key is not to shoot more gun than you can shoot accurately 100% of the time.
Yes I was planning on buying. Remington 700 adl and then striping it down then adding a hinged floor plate hs stock and timney or trigger tech trigger and good optic

Good job Sam on your components for your build. With two .308's, I don't think adding a 30-06 would really expand your collection. You could consider a 300 PRC (Wyatt's has a 300 PRC extended mag kit that works great with either a BDL or DBM system). This caliber will give you a 'wow! what power' rifle to your collection.
I see your from N. Carolina, and if deer is your main wild game, I would go to a 6.5 Creedmoor. Lots of bullets and ammo are available for this newbie.
Thanks for your input I've looked hard at the 300 prc but cant find anything for reloading it here lately and I was considering 30-06 due to the fact I have dies and powder already and primers that I can use for reloading just need brass and also doesn't seem like 30-06 supply's are not as hard to find as every other caliber and seems like no one uses them anymore and yes I do mainly hunt deer and I already have a 6.5 creedmoore in mind to do semi build on after first of the year but then again cant find brass dies or anything for it right now

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.