30-06 over 308

If you like your 308 wins I don't see the reason for the 30-06. Since you are stuck on 30 cal (do you have any 7mm? That's what I would do) otherwise go magnum.

I assume you reload.... otherwise it doesn't matter on action length, mag length etc...

if going off a Rem 700 action I would not do wsm since it's too short - the SAUM was made for the Rem 700 SA. The Long action does Great, the 300wm is everywhere but I don't like the belt 😆. If custom go 300 PRC, or 30 nos, or go bigger 300 RUM or 300NM.

that will blow the 308 win away! And elk out to 1000yds

need more info on your potential build? I don't like adl, pain to unload. Are you going to get a new barrel? Or just Change stock? Need mag bolt
If you don't like the belt, here's a solution that really works. I've loaded lots of both 7mmRM & 300WM and they always chamber nicely. http://www.larrywillis.com/

Attachments

• diebig.jpg
    diebig.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 120
Well....my 2 ¢ worth!
I would keep it in .30-06 if it's an older Remington 700 ADL, because of collectors value.
The .30-06 shines with heavier bullets, 180 gr to 250 gr than the .308.
Now, new powders like StaBall 6.5, and Reloder 26, will get you higher velocities without excessive pressure in the .30-06 range ( 60,000 psi ) 50,000 CUP.
But, I'm surprised no one has said this, you can up the pressures of the 06, to .270 pressures, and you start to get a different animal with the .30-06. You start getting velocities, as someone else said, in the .300 WSM area, without the bellow, and kick of a magnum. Also, if you're looking at a .280 AI, then you can go to a good gunsmith, and have them turn your regular 06 into a .30-06 AI, and you will get more velocities even still, without all the miss and fuss of a Mag.
Ok, well, I hope I have given you some food for thought.

You have multiple 308s (still a great round) and you asked the question "up to 175gr bullets what does a .06 provide over the 308?" The answer to that question is a bit more speed/energy at the sacrifice of a longer action and potentially heavier gun. That said, the greater differentiator is the ability to shoot above 175gr bullets. The same is true for 300wm. The 300wsm provides the speed and heavier bullet option but with a short action. However, with the wsm, one tends to run into mag length constraints on heavier/longer bullets (ask me how I know).
If you want something bigger, why not truly expand your portfolio a full step and get a 338wm? Or if you are just looking for to build a gun for giggles, you are already covered up to elk (albeit bigger 30s and the 338 are better), so go with a 6.5 and have a new/sexy, very pleasant to shoot and very accurate gun up to 140gr.

Between 308 and 30-06 i again say 30-06 yesterday after the silhouette match I broke out an old 1903 a3 2.5 weaver 168 grain factory ammo put 2 next to the x and one on white band around the x ring 10 ring if you will. I own 2 308's but they don't have the authority that the 06 has and the 06 will shoot with a worn out barrel and again you can always find a 308 later for a donor build when you get tired of it

Come on!

we are all rifle loonies! we KNOW how this will go .....

you have some .308s, you WILL build the perfect rifle in .30-06 and before its completed you'll be dreaming of and planning out your .300 Win Mag and by the time you get a good load worked up for the '06, you will be collecting the components for the next build....

and this time next year you'll be posting "I've got .308, .30-06, .300WM and .300WSM, I'm planning a .25/7mm/6mm/6.5mm build what stock/action/barrel/mounts/scope/trigger should I get.... etc etc etc etc..... "

have fun! shoot good!

Poole
(right now, my browser has 4 open tabs on Gunbroker pages and 6 open to gunsinternational pages.... its a disease, there is no known cure....)
The only known "Cure" is to continue buying/building rifles. And really it's not a cure but a "Pacification"!!! This is a great thread!

Hello all as title says I've been thanking about buying a Remington 700 adl in 30-06 to do my first semi custom rifle build and my question is is there really a need for a 30-06 if I already have 2 308s I do have everything but brass to load for a 30-06 but up to 175 grain bullets what can a 30-06 give me over my 308 for whitetailto elk.if I do not buy a 30-06 I will most likely try to find a 300 wm or 300 wsm. Thanks in advance
The short answer to "What does a 30-06 get me over a 308?" is...another 100 yards.

Whatever bullet you choose, whatever power or performance level you are comfortable with,...the 30-06 will extend the range you see that performance another 100 yards.

As a side note, using the same premises as above...anything in the 300 winmag class will get you another 100 yards beyond the 30-06.

As you can see, the returns start diminishing very quickly with any given bore size.

The only way to step up quickly in power is to increase bore size, because then you have much more room to push the much heavier bullets faster.

Consider this: A 220 grain bullet from a 30-06 @ 2400 fps vs. a 220 grain bullet from a 300 win at 2,600 fps...then consider that a 35 Whelen (30-06 case) will push a 225 grain bullet at that same 2,600 fps with 15 grains less powder.

So case capacity increases speed, but more so buys you pressure,
...and bore size buys you room to burn all that powder.

If you like your 308 wins I don't see the reason for the 30-06. Since you are stuck on 30 cal (do you have any 7mm? That's what I would do) otherwise go magnum.

I assume you reload.... otherwise it doesn't matter on action length, mag length etc...

if going off a Rem 700 action I would not do wsm since it's too short - the SAUM was made for the Rem 700 SA. The Long action does Great, the 300wm is everywhere but I don't like the belt 😆. If custom go 300 PRC, or 30 nos, or go bigger 300 RUM or 300NM.

that will blow the 308 win away! And elk out to 1000yds

need more info on your potential build? I don't like adl, pain to unload. Are you going to get a new barrel? Or just Change stock? Need mag bolt
My 30-06 Model 700 Rem BDL jammed on me on an elk hunt some years ago-and that was with factory ammo- I would not trust it again!!

Hello all as title says I've been thanking about buying a Remington 700 adl in 30-06 to do my first semi custom rifle build and my question is is there really a need for a 30-06 if I already have 2 308s I do have everything but brass to load for a 30-06 but up to 175 grain bullets what can a 30-06 give me over my 308 for whitetailto elk.if I do not buy a 30-06 I will most likely try to find a 300 wm or 300 wsm. Thanks in advance
not enough difference to worry about between the two....your call

That's what I'm trying to keep in mind also thanks for your input
Let's assume we're not shooting gophers here. If so, how many rounds does one need carry on a hunt? Scares the crap out of me to see a "hunter" load up a ten round magazine! If you need more than two rounds (assuming you need a finisher) IMO you're not qualified to be a hunter

The 308 is my choice and has been for 45 years. The 30-06 only gets about 100 FPS velocity than the 308. I have shot 1000 yards accurately with my 308 many, many times. The 308 gives you a shorter bolt pull and a shorter cartridge than the 30-06 and a slightly lighter rifle. I will stick with my 308 and 168 grain B.T.H.P. bullets.
Convert one of your 308's to 7-08 and you gain a minor increase in velocity and energy. But it will have slightly less recoil. The benefit is better bullets and a 600 yard hog/deer/elk rifle. There isn't anything bad about the 30-06. As a Marine 3 Tour Vietnam grunt a few of our snipers used 30-06 not many in inventory. However they still preferred the 308/7.62 because they could get back on target quicker for follow up shots. Hunting four legged game is allot different than combat. We had on call Air/Artillery for back up and follow through. Consider recoil as the factor in the majority of your shooting situations as well as shooting positions. Most of the time I can't shoot from prone in a static supported manner. It's find an improvised support, shooting sticks, tree rock,etc. Build and shoot what you want and go have fun. SEMPER FEDELIS

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.