30-06 made new again

Mike 338

With all the newer powders that have come out lately, who has dabbled with the old warhorse, the 30-06? RL-17 is often mentioned but I never hear of anybody raving about the accuracy they're getting.

I tend to think the 30-06 does best in the 165 grain range of bullets and IMR-4350 seems like it was made for that combination but what has come out lately (or not so lately) that satisfies both accuracy and speed in this rustic cartridge?

I'm getting 2680 fps with 208 ELDs and RL 17.
8.3 mils to 1000 yards.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 126
With all the newer powders that have come out lately, who has dabbled with the old warhorse, the 30-06? RL-17 is often mentioned but I never hear of anybody raving about the accuracy they're getting.

I tend to think the 30-06 does best in the 165 grain range of bullets and IMR-4350 seems like it was made for that combination but what has come out lately (or not so lately) that satisfies both accuracy and speed in this rustic cartridge?

I'm getting nearly 3K out of my 26" .30-06 AI with the Berger 185 VLD's and IMR 7828 SSC. Right around 7.6 MILs drop from 100 (zero) to 1000.

7828 and modern high BC bullets really puts some pep in the old 06's step.

30/06 never went out of style. Marketing drives the hunting and shooting market. Bud you really need a ----- Magnum to hunt ------ effectively. They should just call it a 7.62 Springfield Magnum and all the hipster hunters, TV gurus, steel punchers and keyboard warriors will proclaim it king, for this marketing cycle.
Is the 30/06 ideal? Maybe, that depends on what your definition of ideal is. Hype, marketing, and pundits aside, the .30/06 has manageable recoil in light weapons, is easy to reload, brass, bullets, cases are easy to get and fairly priced. A guy can afford to put in the time and effort it takes to really get to know what it can do, and more importantly what it shouldn't or plain won't do. Several varieties of loaded ammunition are available at every walmart and hardware store in nearly small town around for when the airline loses your luggage, or you just forget your ammo. Try that with a 300 Norma, or 30/378 Wetherby...
I have the privilege of owning several multiples of rifles that cover the spectrum of what is legal to own. They all occupy and accomplish a certain role, even a few ----magnums, and they all do it well. Or they don't have a spot in my collection. That being said, when I'm hunting seriously to put meat in the freezer I reach for my custom Model 70 in .30/06 and send a 230 Berger OTM. It just does the job every time. Cleanly, accurately and ethically from 30 yards out to 800 yards. That's MY hunting limit with my rifle. I shoot steel out to 1,400 several times a year with that same rifle. .30/06 will hang, it always has.

I would like to rave about the accuracy I am getting with RL17 in the '06

300yd_zps51f89561.jpg

Also in the 6.5 rem mag, 280AI & 375 Ruger

DSC00863.jpg

Not only just accuracy, but excellent velocity with accuracy

Hodgdon Superformance. 178 Amax. 59 grains. 44 year old woman who squeezed the trigger on a gun the first time in her life. Her first three rounds ever fired (100 yards):

1692AEBE-4D36-4945-8A18-7B3BA0B5BA59_zpsh6th0q31.jpg

Oh, and since I stumbled upon the accuracy of the 59 grains on my first loading on the new Lapua brass & brand new Remington Long Range M40 30-06 i had shot the whole batch up. I made her load on the press. So she loaded these cartridges from start to finish. Also a first for her.

My Browning A Bolt 2, Ruger American Rifle and Rem. 760 BDL pump will all shoot 165 gr. Sierra GK bullets under 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards with 56 grs. of Reloader 17 powder and I would take a shot with any of those rifles out to 500 yards any day of the week with that powder and bullet combo.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.