30-06 load make up help

59 grs. under a 210 gr. vld, that's pretty warm. And 2700 fps, that's gonna deliver some serious energy at long distance, and be very predictable.

MB

Wow thank you all so much for all the information that has been given! To answer a few questions I have a Leupold Vx-3 LR that I was thinking about putting on this gun and the trigger is a stock trigger. I have 4350 and some other slow burning powders that I can try to use as make up loads to get the sweet one. In the next few months I will show my progress and final load that works best for my gun. Hopefully it will shoot straight and true!

So I am going to try the Nosler Accu-bond 200g. It shows a great BC and I have made some loads from 49-53g in 1 grain increments with both IMR 4350 and H414.
I have yet to get to shoot them so I will see if things will be encouraging. What are your thoughts on the Nolser bullets?

+ 1 on Kenny0709"s 56 grains of 4350 under a 180 gr. I use a Fed #215 on this load and it has never been +P in any of five 30/06 guns I've shot it in. I use the Sierra 180gr SpBT GK as it opens reliably at lower velocity. I have confidence in this load out to 700yds no problem. The Sierra has done < 1MOA in every gun. The Rem 700 has a really long magazine so check your jammed COAL and load as long as you can without hitting the rifling or front of the mag. 0.020" is a good start with the Sierra if your mag cam handle it. If the 0.020" jump loaded round will not push down into the mag, try it as long as possible.

30/06 is probably THE cartridge of the 20th Century. Love it!!!

KB

Last edited:
I run 53.grns of imr4350 with 200gr.smks with oal. 3.34in really accurate load it can reach out there along ways

I know every production rig has it's own lead, but I've loaded for dozens of different Rem 700's, oldies and new. Of all of them, I don't think I've come across one that wouldn't let me get as close to the lands as desired, and still obtain magazine fit, and feed function. Even with short, light weight varmint bullets, I can still usually get up to the lands, and still maintain plenty neck to shank contact also. It's been a different story though with some of the Ruger's and a few other production actions I've loaded for.

MB

I know every production rig has it's own lead, but I've loaded for dozens of different Rem 700's, oldies and new. Of all of them, I don't think I've come across one that wouldn't let me get as close to the lands as desired, and still obtain magazine fit, and feed function. Even with short, light weight varmint bullets, I can still usually get up to the lands, and still maintain plenty neck to shank contact also. It's been a different story though with some of the Ruger's and a few other production actions I've loaded for.

MB
unfortunately my magazine in my TC Venture is only 3.34in or just a little longer but fortunately I found a accurate load with the 200gr.smks that I can load to that length but my rifle is a bench queen so I'm going all out on some 215 bergers (3006) and shoot it single shot which is ok because I let it cool before the next shot anyway

I would not go with a 190gr bullet in the 30-06, you lose too much velocity and since you said you will be shooting at distances over 500 yards you are going to want good velocity to insure proper bullet expansion.

From most rifles a 180gr Nosler Partition with a charge of 57.0gr of IMR4350 or H4350 will deliver very good accuracy and ~2800 fps. A 180gr AccuBond isn't a bad choice either and might be more available in the stores.

@500 yards with a MV of 2800 fps the 180gr Partition will still have over 1900 fps and @600 yards ~1765 fps.

@500 yards with a MV of 2800 fps the 180gr AccuBond will still have ~1970 fps and @600 yards ~1825 fps.

MB
I don't think you lose to much velocity with 190s they are perfect for long range 3006 most long rang bullets are designed to expand at moderate velocities I can get my 200gr.smks at 2750fps without going over max book charge most factory 180s rounds are only pushing that velocity with a high BC. Those 190s will maintain there velocity alot better and the added weight will bust what ever your shooting at I always thought lighter is better till I went long range and found out heavier is always better just my opinion

With all my literature on reloading I am showing 53g max in IMR 4350. I have noticed that many of you are loading 3-6g higher than the max recommended load. I am planning on shooting today and seeing which of the two powders that I have loaded my gun likes most.

Question" Say I find that out of the 49-53g loads I have worked up. The 52g ends up being the best. Would you suggest on trying to get hotter loads 54 and up and look for pressure signs and try to find a sweeter more accurate round or just stay with what I have found?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.