30-06 215 Match Hybrid Loads

Weapons are not magic. What part of that can't people understand on this site?
They are PRESSURE ENGINES. You give to get.
Give be it brass life, barrel life, safety, or chamber dimensions (bigger case).
Only so much you can do in ways of cheating the system.... at the end of the day, do you think that if Federal, Winchester, or Hornady could make a 30-06 SAFELY do 3100 with a 180 or 3000 with a 215 that they wouldn't do it?
Buy a bigger cartridge if you want bigger performance. **Drops Mic*gun)

I know of others on here getting 2700+ in a 22.5" 30-06 with these pills using RE17.

Not sure how temp stable it is and if I would shoot that in Ca where I live but I trust his judgement and don't think he would push it if it wan't safe.

Only way to really know is with a pressure gauge.

Shane is using moly to get that velocity.

You are able to achieve impressive velocities, when you use moly. If I'm not mistaken, Shane (MontanaMarine) broke 2800 fps with a moly'd 208 Amax, 22" 30-06.

That be him.

It must be something in the water up there because Broz gets really good velocities out of his 300 WM with the 215s also.

That be him.

It must be something in the water up there because Broz gets really good velocities out of his 300 WM with the 215s also.

Broz, however is not in fairy tail land. He will tell you his load is rather stout... Most belted mags will not show pressure signs until you pass 70 Kpsi.

The pressure gauge on my first 7mmstw showed some loads at 75Kpsi with zero pressure signs; however, the brass life was rather short with them. I opted for a load at 58 Kpsi and the barrel went 1400 rounds before I sold it; the last group I put through the pipe went .4" at 100 yards.

If you are loosening up your primer pockets at all you are too stout for saami specs and are treading on thin ice as far as equipment longevity. I will buy a bigger/ larger chambered rifle long before I will risk life and limb to run one hard. I've played that game and it didn't work out well (also running a '06 hard in my young and dumb days). Lesson learned. Pay to play.... PERIOD.

I will buy a bigger/ larger chambered rifle long before I will risk life and limb to run one hard. I've played that game and it didn't work out well (also running a '06 hard in my young and dumb days). Lesson learned. Pay to play.... PERIOD.[/QUOTE]

+1

Broz, however is not in fairy tail land. He will tell you his load is rather stout... Most belted mags will not show pressure signs until you pass 70 Kpsi.

The pressure gauge on my first 7mmstw showed some loads at 75Kpsi with zero pressure signs; however, the brass life was rather short with them. I opted for a load at 58 Kpsi and the barrel went 1400 rounds before I sold it; the last group I put through the pipe went .4" at 100 yards.

If you are loosening up your primer pockets at all you are too stout for saami specs and are treading on thin ice as far as equipment longevity. I will buy a bigger/ larger chambered rifle long before I will risk life and limb to run one hard. I've played that game and it didn't work out well (also running a '06 hard in my young and dumb days). Lesson learned. Pay to play.... PERIOD.

+1. Better to be alive and smart than dead and dumb...

They honestly need to have a "RocksnDynamite" thread... I honestly want to hear about the trials and tribulations of some chucklehead trying to get a 150 to 3400 in an 3006.:D gun)

RL17 has worked for me.... in many respects
The 270 win nets an honest 100+fps on a 130 in a 22in pipe.
My 280 AI nets 3250 on a 140 in a 24 in pipe.
My 6.5x284 pumps a 140 to 2880 with it...
I have surpassed 3400 on a 150 in a 300 Win Mag with it.
Using IMR data, I've had better luck... the ES/SD numbers are the worlds best or worst, but these are hunting rifles and they PERFORM in the field. That's all I care about.

Guys,
I agree that there are some shooters out there that think that velocity is the holy grail and will overload their rifles . However NEMTHunter has stated that he is seeing no pressure signs with this this load. Also he has set the bullet out of the case neck farther than with the Sierra bullet he was using. This MAY be the reason for the lack of pressure signs. By setting the bullet out. He has exposed more case capacity relieving some pressure there. BUT he is not yet close enough to the lands to raise the pressure. Bryan Litz's article " Effects of Cartridge Overall length (COAL) and Cartridge Base to Ogive ( CBTO) found on our website under EXTERNAL BALLISTICS in our BLOG explains this very well.

All this does play into it, a lot! I agree with you. thanks for posting it up! AS you also posted I am not even close to the lands yet. That is the sad part. I am about .250 from the lands. yes you read that right..... Its amazing it shoots as good as it does.

Like i posted some of the brass i am using has been reloaded buy me at least 6 times.. and it was reloaded brass when i got it with the gun. There is no ejector smear no primers being pushed out. the bolt opens easy. AND the shells do not need trimmed every time. If I am feeling really picky i would.

Also with how far out I am seating the bullet. With 56.5 grains of Powder (IMR 4350) There still is loose powder in the shell with the bullet in place. with 57.5 grains there is little to not a bit of powder "shake".

Again with how it is loaded, these are not compressed loads. hmm That to helps indicate that I am sure they are not high pressure. if you want I can even post up all the math numbers to prove it.

I have before have had loads that showed signs of high pressure. But not with this gun or bullet combo yet. the shells are the same though.

You all have to remember this to. I have a 28" barrel. That also helps me get the speeds I am getting. If I ran these same loads through the factory 22" barrel i am sure it would only do 2600 to 2650 fps.

I think Broz is around the 3000 fps range with these same bullets with a 300win. He also has a 28" barrel. So to say I am trying to get magnum power out of the 06 is pushing it a little... thee are others on this forum that have the same results he has. I am not far ahead of the guys with 308 shooting these bullets either.

Am i saying everyone should load the 215s with 57.5 grains of IMR4350?? no I made that clear in the first post.

Let me know when you goto the range with that rifle... I will be working on my truck or hunting.... far far away from that nuke.

All this does play into it, a lot! I agree with you. thanks for posting it up! AS you also posted I am not even close to the lands yet. That is the sad part. I am about .250 from the lands. yes you read that right..... Its amazing it shoots as good as it does.

Like i posted some of the brass i am using has been reloaded buy me at least 6 times.. and it was reloaded brass when i got it with the gun. There is no ejector smear no primers being pushed out. the bolt opens easy. AND the shells do not need trimmed every time. If I am feeling really picky i would.

Also with how far out I am seating the bullet. With 56.5 grains of Powder (IMR 4350) There still is loose powder in the shell with the bullet in place. with 57.5 grains there is little to not a bit of powder "shake".

Again with how it is loaded, these are not compressed loads. hmm That to helps indicate that I am sure they are not high pressure. if you want I can even post up all the math numbers to prove it.

I have before have had loads that showed signs of high pressure. But not with this gun or bullet combo yet. the shells are the same though.

You all have to remember this to. I have a 28" barrel. That also helps me get the speeds I am getting. If I ran these same loads through the factory 22" barrel i am sure it would only do 2600 to 2650 fps.

I think Broz is around the 3000 fps range with these same bullets with a 300win. He also has a 28" barrel. So to say I am trying to get magnum power out of the 06 is pushing it a little... thee are others on this forum that have the same results he has. I am not far ahead of the guys with 308 shooting these bullets either.

Am i saying everyone should load the 215s with 57.5 grains of IMR4350?? no I made that clear in the first post.

Your method and numbers look fine to me and it looks like you've causously worked your load. You can mask some of the pressure signs but if your holding primer pockets in 06 brass for as many firings as you are you well in the same zone for your rifle. My long throated 308 with a long barrel will make 2600 fps with a 215, its stout load but still under red line!!
Any 300 win I build with a 26 in plus barrel will run a 215 at 3000 fps with a load that will have good brass life, a 28 in will be comfortable at 3000 fps.
The 215 has a short bearing surface for its weight also, this also makes it hard for some to wrap their mind around shooting such a heavy bullet in a 308 or 06 size case and doing so well with them.
Don't let guys who can't do basic rifle math get you down!! Long throat+ long barrel+ short bearing surface= velocity

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.