30-06 215 Match Hybrid Loads

NEMTHunter

Just a small update. UPS just came and dropped of a box of 215 grain .308 Hybrid Berger bullets. I was able to get my hands on a box 250! I will be working on a load for a 30-06 with these bullets. Hope they work like planned.

Howdy yall. I know its been a long time since I posted this in another thread pertaining to the Barger 215. and 30-06 . I could still not find any data for this bullet and the 30-06. AND I finally got time and a chrono to develop a load for the 30-06 using the berger 215 grain match hybrid bullets. I hope the info found here is helpful.

The rife use is Ruger M77 Mark ll. The barrel is a 28" Shilen LP contour, With 1:10 twist.

Bullet Berger 215 grain match Hybrid

Powder IMP 4350

Primer CCI Large Rifle #200

Brass Winchester for first load, W-W super for second load.

COAL. 3.623

Now on to the loads and chrono

First 56.5 grains

1s- 2754fps
2s- 2732fps
3s- 2737fps
4s- 2772fps

Average is 2748fps

This load was able to shoot 3/4" and under groups @ 100 yards. Good chance it would have been better if I would of had a better rest.

Second load. It is the same specs as the first load Just powder charge changed. For what its worth the shells weighed the same between the first and second load.

57.5 grains

1s- 2795fps
2s- 2789fps
3s- 2789fps
4s- 2795fps

Average of 2792fps

This load I was able to shoot a sub 1/2" group with it, with two of the bullet holes touching.

Every gun will shoot differently for sure. None of the cases EVER showed any signs of pressure period. All the chrono readings were 25 to 30' feet in front of the muzzle.

I am going to try 58 grains next and see if I can break 2800 FPS.

After I get a Load set in stone for what Io am looking for. I want to test to see IF they seeds are true and real buy doing a drop test @ 1000 yards.

Hope this info is helpful!

DISCLAIMER : THESE ARE NOT PRESSURE TESTED LOADS!! SO IF YOU COPY THEM YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK!! I WILL NOT BE HELD RELIABLE!

I have fooled with the 215gr Bergers in an 30-06. Ended up using 50.8g Reloader 17...very accurate load right at 2600fps.

Ran your numbers through Quick Load with 56.5g of IMR 4350. Hodgen is almost exactly the same. Very hot load. If I read your post correctly here are the results....Be careful!!

Forum.JPG

Thanks for your concern. I appreciate it! Like stated the case does not even show a bit of pressure signs. I started out lower then what I posted and nothing change other then speed went up. There is lots of things that come into play with loads. I just do not want to cross the line.

I read from a place one time that stated IMR4350 in a 30-06 will tell you when it gets to hot. They said the speed will not go up even IF you have put in more powder. They say that is the plateau so to speak. They place said. After you hit the shelf where it will no longer go up in speed. (and most cases start going down in speed) back it of half a grain and you have a safe load.

THIS they claim only works with IMR4350 in the 30-06. I am trying to remember what Company stated that.

I have used 56.6 grains Of IMR 4350 for years with the 200 grain Gameking from sierra. Never had any bad pressure sign OR had shells split even after 6 or more reloads. These bullets were also seated farther into the shell then the berger 215 match hybrid is.

I am not trying to say these are loads that anyone should and could use. Dont get me wrong! Just wanted to post up my findings.

Howdy yall. I know its been a long time since I posted this in another thread pertaining to the Barger 215. and 30-06 . I could still not find any data for this bullet and the 30-06. AND I finally got time and a chrono to develop a load for the 30-06 using the berger 215 grain match hybrid bullets. I hope the info found here is helpful.

The rife use is Ruger M77 Mark ll. The barrel is a 28" Shilen LP contour, With 1:10 twist.

Bullet Berger 215 grain match Hybrid

Powder IMP 4350

Primer CCI Large Rifle #200

Brass Winchester for first load, W-W super for second load.

COAL. 3.623

Now on to the loads and chrono

First 56.5 grains

1s- 2754fps
2s- 2732fps
3s- 2737fps
4s- 2772fps

Average is 2748fps

This load was able to shoot 3/4" and under groups @ 100 yards. Good chance it would have been better if I would of had a better rest.

Second load. It is the same specs as the first load Just powder charge changed. For what its worth the shells weighed the same between the first and second load.

57.5 grains

1s- 2795fps
2s- 2789fps
3s- 2789fps
4s- 2795fps

Average of 2792fps

This load I was able to shoot a sub 1/2" group with it, with two of the bullet holes touching.

Every gun will shoot differently for sure. None of the cases EVER showed any signs of pressure period. All the chrono readings were 25 to 30' feet in front of the muzzle.

I am going to try 58 grains next and see if I can break 2800 FPS.

After I get a Load set in stone for what Io am looking for. I want to test to see IF they seeds are true and real buy doing a drop test @ 1000 yards.

Hope this info is helpful!

DISCLAIMER : THESE ARE NOT PRESSURE TESTED LOADS!! SO IF YOU COPY THEM YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK!! I WILL NOT BE HELD RELIABLE!
NEMThunter,
IF you are going to do this I suggest you do it in 1/10th grain increments . Not 1/2 grain like you indicate. If the 57.5 load ( that shows superior accuracy ) has a low SD ( standard deviation) number ( below 10) and this velocity will keep the bullet still super sonic at 1000 yards it MAY be the one you're looking for. Velocity is nice . But if the rifle doesn't like it its of no use. Accuracy is king. At the MOA this load is shooting and IF the load holds together out to 1000 yards . Practice and learning to read conditions will get you more accuracy that load experimentation will .
Good luck ! And keep us in the loop !

NEMThunter,
IF you are going to do this I suggest you do it in 1/10th grain increments . Not 1/2 grain like you indicate. If the 57.5 load ( that shows superior accuracy ) has a low SD ( standard deviation) number ( below 10) and this velocity will keep the bullet still super sonic at 1000 yards it MAY be the one you're looking for. Velocity is nice . But if the rifle doesn't like it its of no use. Accuracy is king. At the MOA this load is shooting and IF the load holds together out to 1000 yards . Practice and learning to read conditions will get you more accuracy that load experimentation will .
Good luck ! And keep us in the loop !

Thank you for the suggestions! To be honest with you I will not be doing the 58 grain loads. Or even trying for anymore then I have already. The 57.5 load fits the bill so to speak. Since it hits so good and is very consistent, I plan on keeping it as my load. The only farther testing i do will be to see how the 57.5 load hits at the ranges I am looking for. I agree with what you said, (Accuracy is king) That is true. i had tested other loads I never posted and not a one of them was like the 57.5 load. I think I hit the sweet spot for this gun bullet combo. Now I just need to load more so i can finish the testing with it. Then hit the field when season opens!

Thanks again.

David

I had one 30-06 show brass distress with anything over 56 grain of I4350 with a 165. I wouldn't touch off 57.5 grains of I4350 even in someone else's rifle. I currently use that charge with 165 hornady pills in my 30-06.

If you want a 300win, go get one. Don't beat the daylights out of your '06 trying to get there.

As for heavier pills, I've gone to 54 I4350 with a 200 sierra @ 2600 fps before.

I had one 30-06 show brass distress with anything over 56 grain of I4350 with a 165. I wouldn't touch off 57.5 grains of I4350 even in someone else's rifle. I currently use that charge with 165 hornady pills in my 30-06.

If you want a 300win, go get one. Don't beat the daylights out of your '06 trying to get there.
I would have to agree with Lefty. Those charges you speak of are for max loads with 165-180 grain bullets. I would never want to be near you when your rifle finally gives up on a hot day, when your loads and chamber are hot. As Lefty said get a WSM or a Win Mag. I loaded 58 grs of IMR 4350 and its very compressed. So running your OAL you are crunching some serious powder at 57.5..... People have been reloading the 30-06 for years trying to get the best velocity out of it. And its a 2750 fps 180 grn bullet rifle, with a margin of about 50fps. Its dang sure not a 2750fps 215 hybrid rifle....

He reminds me of a guy who had some .223 loads. That when he shot them on the first firing, the primer could be decapped with a good tap on something hard. After telling me and a few other of this, he wasn't invited to shoot with us anymore...

Guys,
I agree that there are some shooters out there that think that velocity is the holy grail and will overload their rifles . However NEMTHunter has stated that he is seeing no pressure signs with this this load. Also he has set the bullet out of the case neck farther than with the Sierra bullet he was using. This MAY be the reason for the lack of pressure signs. By setting the bullet out. He has exposed more case capacity relieving some pressure there. BUT he is not yet close enough to the lands to raise the pressure. Bryan Litz's article " Effects of Cartridge Overall length (COAL) and Cartridge Base to Ogive ( CBTO) found on our website under EXTERNAL BALLISTICS in our BLOG explains this very well.

Layne Simpson thought there was no pressure when he designed the 7mm STW. But when it was pressure tested he was around 75,000 + psi, and he saw no signs at all....

I know of others on here getting 2700+ in a 22.5" 30-06 with these pills using RE17.

Not sure how temp stable it is and if I would shoot that in Ca where I live but I trust his judgement and don't think he would push it if it wan't safe.

Only way to really know is with a pressure gauge.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.