3 groove or 5 groove rebore

6x6 elk

Looking to have my 308 changed to a 358 Winchester. One of the options is having a three groove or a five groove rebore done. Is one more accurate than the other? If it makes a difference this is going to be on a Remington 788, with a 22 inch barrel. Is there any other thing to look at when making the decision between the two, there's much not much difference in price either way. JES 35 cal rebore is doing the work. Thanks for your help.

Here is my take based on my experience.

The 3 groove throat will last a bit longer but is harder on bullet jackets. The 5 groove last a bit less and gentler on jackets. Both can produce BR level group consistency. Generalizing no matter number of grooves the ratio of groove to land area will be very close. The less grooves the larger the lands and thus the size of each engraving deformation on the bullet. Increase you have more engraving but smaller marks

In the large scheme it really only matters if you are driving bullets to the edge with fast twist and high velocities and barrel length can come into play. I doubt you would have any issues with a 35 cal. so just get the barrel that you want all things being equal.

I'd go 5 hands down. Heavier, shorter bullets could use the extra lands to start the engraving process in my mind. I use 3 groove for my 22-250 AI and 6mm Dasher with long, heavy profiled barrels. Haven't had an issue with them yet but I'm shooting long, skinny bullets.

Looking to have my 308 changed to a 358 Winchester. One of the options is having a three groove or a five groove rebore done. Is one more accurate than the other? If it makes a difference this is going to be on a Remington 788, with a 22 inch barrel. Is there any other thing to look at when making the decision between the two, there's much not much difference in price either way. JES 35 cal rebore is doing the work. Thanks for your help.

Are you having a re-bore (groove options ???) or a re-barrel? I have two Lilja 3G barrels (.308 cal 1:9" and .277 Cal 1:8") and very pleased with it, it hardly fouls/very easy to clean. I also have two 5R barrels (.264s 1:7" and 1:8", X-caliber and TCA) that behave similarly as the 3Gs. I do not think you can go wrong with either one. Below is an extract from Lilja website for your consideration ...

Lilja 3G barrels.JPG

Good luck!

This will be a rebore with the original barrel. 308 Winchester to 358 Winchester

Are you going with JES? If so, I would trust their experience and just ask them. I hear they are the best, and have done plenty of rebores to 358 Win. Take their advice. I've gone against a gunsmiths recommendation once and regretted it, never again. Most are subject matter experts and should be treated as such.

I did talk to Jesse, he said both worked well he didn't have a recommendation of one over the other. That's why I'm asking this question to you guys, from previous experiences. Thank you.

Tagging in . I need to get ahold of them and see about getting my tikka 30-06 rebored to 338-06 . And jes is who I was recommended also

I would recommend a 6 grove barrel for the .357 caliber And re barreling instead of re boring. Drilling and rifling
are best done while a barrel is still a blank and full sized. Contoured barrels are not as ridged and therefore will flex more, Producing a less quality/precision bore.

I have some experience with re bored barrels and they have all shoot ok but that the kindest I can be. If you want accuracy you will have the best chance with a re barrel.

If you just want to shoot heavy bullets, the 308 is almost the same velocity as the 358 Win with 180 and 200 grain bullets and just another option.

J E CUSTOM

Great advice, I'm considering the Rebore because the barrel on my present rifle is about shot out. I figured the rebore would save me $250-$300 versus a re-barrel. If I was to do a re-barrel I would probably keep it in the 308. I've always wanted a 358 Winchester and this seems to be the opportunity to do it.My Remington 788 has been a Surprisingly accurate rifle for the years that I've had it.

Great advice, I'm considering the Rebore because the barrel on my present rifle is about shot out. I figured the rebore would save me $250-$300 versus a re-barrel. If I was to do a re-barrel I would probably keep it in the 308. I've always wanted a 358 Winchester and this seems to be the opportunity to do it.My Remington 788 has been a Surprisingly accurate rifle for the years that I've had it.

Everybody I have known who has had a Remington 788 has found them to be extremely accurate. I've read that the stiffness of the action is part of the reason why, but I'm sure there are other factors at play here. I don't know what models they have on the market now that resemble this design, but if they were to start making the 788 again, they would sell a ton of them, I'm sure.

JES has done several rebores for me over the years, top shelf work!! Two rifles from 30-06 to 35 Whelen and a BLR from 308 yo .358 Winchester. I thought that all of the rifles were four groove barrels for some reason, I do know that they are not three groove barrels. And the Whelens do shoot well out to 300 yards, more than accurate enough for my hunting requirements.

I had JES rebore a md 88 ,308 to 338 Fed with 3 groove..Actually I let him choose which groove to go with as I had no idea really...Reboring barrels is not in my wheel house.. Very happy..The gun shoots as good or better than it ever did.. I also was cleaning up a barrel that was not in the best condition..

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.