3 groove or 6 groove - 25-06 AI

Petersen

Thinking about a new barrel and I want a 25-06 AI in about a 28" finish length. I was looking at lilja barrels in either a #5 or #6 (1/10 twist). I plan on shooting berger 115 vld's.

Are there any any advantages with the three groove set up? What are my best options? Any help is appreciated.

the 3 groove is supposed to last longer but I haven't seen any hard evidence to prove it ,if you call Dan Lilja he would likely give to the strait and narrow on both of his barrels. The 3 groove is a bit harder on thin skinned bullet like the Bergers and has cause troube with the hot maks blowing the bullets up due to bad jacked deformation , but in the 25-06Ai I doubt that your would push them that hard

What James Jones said.....
As far a barrel life goes. I have a bout 700 rounds through my 270 AM and just gave it a colonoscopy Saturday and the smith said that wear/errosion was not a problem. I didn't tell him how many rounds and he guessed about 400 based on his experience with 300/7mm/30-378 1K shooter's barrels.

Maybe there is a little to the three groove thing??????

But it does tear up 195 gr WCs with I think J3 jackets.

I can't really give you a reccomendation for that bullet, but I have the 3-groove in my 25-06 AI. It has shot very well with most of the bullets I have tested, mostly varmint bullets.

My experience is that the barrel cleans up very easily.

I have tried about a half of a box of the 115 Vld's but I just need to get another box and work with seating depths.

Thanks for all the input.

Flybuster-are you shooting the 1/10 twist??

I would also probably try some of the other hunting bullets; 110 accubonds, barnes bullets, etc.

I am actually kind of torn on whether I want the 1/10 or the 1/12 twist for lighter bullets.

Yes, I am shooting the 1-10" 26" sendero countour. The barrel was throated for the 87 TNT bullets, they shoot good. I was really hoping the 75 V-Max would work, but no luck.

My best long range load has been with 100 grain bullets. Especially 100gr SMK's, I'm only shooting them mildly at standard 25-06 levels.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.