6 groove rifling

Lpart

Hi guys. Looking to get a Brux barrel for a 300 WSM. Their lead times for 6 groove rifling are significantly shorter than for 4 groove. What are the pros and cons of 6 groove vs 4 groove in a cut rifled barrel? Also, SS or CM?

Thank you.

Hi guys. Looking to get a Brux barrel for a 300 WSM. Their lead times for 6 groove rifling are significantly shorter than for 4 groove. What are the pros and cons of 6 groove vs 4 groove in a cut rifled barrel? Also, SS or CM?

Thank you.

The number of grooves normally dictate the width of the rifling.

The wider the rifling, the harder it is on jackets in hi velocity. but the better it wears (less erosion
of the rifling lead.

On big bore rifles with heavy bullets (400+ grain) 8 groove is recommended.

My personal preference in rifling/groove count depending on the rifle bore and bullet weight to be used is 3 groove for ultra high velocity cartridges using light bullets ( 75 grains or less ).

For medium calibers 6.5 to .358 I like the 6 groove barrels. For everything .375 and above I use the 8 groove barrels.

The 5 groove barrels would also fall in the medium calibers.

My choice is always the Stainless barrel, for its durability, wear resistance and maintenance requirements.

This is just my personal opinion based on my experiences. I would choose the 6 groove over the 4 groove every time. ( I have not had very good results with the 4 grove barrels for some reason).

But it is still your choice.

J E CUSTOM

The wider the rifling, the harder it is on jackets in hi velocity. but the better it wears (less erosion of the rifling lead.

+1! I have a 3-groove 1:8 Lilja barrel in my .270 AI, it stays clean and hardly fouls pushing the 165/175 Matrix VLDs.

To the OP, FYSA Lilja has the 3, 4, and 6 all 1:10 in stock.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.