3 deer killed with 300 Norma Magnum

That's some beautiful country over there in Norway, and some good shooting! I always enjoy watching your videos.

Are you planning any upcoming videos with the CZ 6.5 Grendel you built?

You have the best YouTube videos! Thanks for sharing.

How much walking/stalking do you do? Seems like a heavy rifle and pack to carry all day in the rain and wind?

Great video and great shooting as always. Thanks for yet another.

No doubt the .300 Norma is a big step up from the old 6.5 but in those conditions the higher BC bullets have got to be an advantage.

Thanks for taking the time guys.

Are you planning any upcoming videos with the CZ 6.5 Grendel you built?
No I sold that rifle. Great little cartridge, but I failed in my rifle build as I wanted a lightweight rifle and ended up with something weighing close to my 6,5x284.

How much walking/stalking do you do? Seems like a heavy rifle and pack to carry all day in the rain and wind?
It is not that much walking as stalking/glassing tends to slow things down. I'm guessing I'm very rarely above 10 miles/16 km/ 5 hours in a day up on the hill. Inbetween each group of deer shot there's usually an hour or two spent retrieving and getting them into a position of transport. The forest stalking is much, much less. The rifle is about max of what I'm willing to carry and the backpack was just too heavy this year. Everything was about 25 kgs/ 50lbs and there will be far less batteries/ cameras/ tripods next year, at the end of this week I was plain suffering when going uphill. The Eberlestock backpacks are just stupid heavy for what they do and that is the single item where I could shave off most weight if I could find another backpacks that will carry the tripods in a scabbard.

No doubt the .300 Norma is a big step up from the old 6.5 but in those conditions the higher BC bullets have got to be an advantage.
Yes absolutely. There was several shots taken this week which I simply would not have taken if not for the superior "windbucking" of the 300 NM (or rather the bullet). It really didn't matter if my windcall was slightly off as the error budget would allow the bullet to catch the vitals. My problem was when shooting fast - I simply held as I would with a 6,5mm (due habit) and the result was a bullet striking much closer to POA than I'm used to. This resulted in poorly shot (poorly meaning excessive meat damage, all died) or missed deer depending on wether head or butt was into the wind. But all in all, the 300 NM has been very easy to work with and will handle the heavy/ high Bc bullets without effort, so this cartridge will stay in my cabinet. I will just not use it for deer culling (where numbers matter) but more for private hunts (where I just need one animal)

I've been saying for years that the otherwise well designed Eberlestock packs are way overbuilt.

They could easily cut the weight by at least 33% and still have a durable pack. Using narrower webbing straps and smaller buckles, lighter weight fabrics and restricting heavy Cordura fabric to only a few high wear areas, strong but lighter frames, fewer unnecessary features, etc.

Thanks for the great video. I've been a fan of the .300 Norma magnum for several years and may re-barrel my Browning .300 Win mag rifle in that cartridge using a lighter Proof Research carbon fiber wrapped barrel. VDL and hybrid shaped bullets (like those from Berger) work better in the .300 Norma's longer cartridge neck.

Eric B.

I'm a 260 ackley improved Guy but i have been stung by the bug of the 300 Norma lately nice video and shooting.

I've been saying for years that the otherwise well designed Eberlestock packs are way overbuilt.

They could easily cut the weight by at least 33% and still have a durable pack. Using narrower webbing straps and smaller buckles, lighter weight fabrics and restricting heavy Cordura fabric to only a few high wear areas, strong but lighter frames, fewer unnecessary features, etc.

I hear you! A basic backpack with scabbard and an alpine/climbing harmess would be nice. There are certainly quality backpacks out there which weighs in at half the weight and can carry more, but none has the scabbard. The Eberlestock lid is an embodiment of unneccessary features, I have daypacks weighing the same as that lid.

What suppressor are you running on your 300 Norma? And what is the overall weight of the rifle? Just interested as to how it deals with felt recoil on a cartridge that size

What suppressor are you running on your 300 Norma? And what is the overall weight of the rifle? Just interested as to how it deals with felt recoil on a cartridge that size

I have an Atec Optima and the overall weight should be right around 6,5 kgs or roughly 12 lbs. The rifle is a nightmare to shoot without the silencer, perfectly managable and not unpleasant with the silencer.

Great video! I felt ur pain lugging all that gear! I packed a deer out of a giant coulee with steep *** hills last fall. Last hill I crawled up it. Lol that's why I don't video myself!

I did a similar mistake this year, shot a deer in a ravine and I needed to get it UP. It was less than 100 yards/meters up to the edge, but it certainly cost a fair bit of effort and swearing.