The 300 Norma Magnum.

A few years back I built a 30-375 Ruger, I had a magnum bolt Howa 1500 on the shelf that needed to be mated up with a barrel. I figured it was the greatest capacity case I could get into a 30-06 length action with a standard magnum bolt face. I wanted to be able deliver 210 g bullets to 1,000 yards with significant energy. The round does all I could ask of it.

If I were to do it all again I would go with the 30 Nosler, not even the 26 Nosler was out when I did the 30-375 R. I think the Nosler option gives you better brass, no necking down in multiple steps, cheaper dies, better resale if I ever decide to sell, a little more capacity, and headstamp matches caliber on gun if I took it out of the country. I do like to build some cartridges that are unique but in this case I would stick with the Nosler 30 brass.

Maybe I should look into necking the 30 Nosler up to 338 for something different.

wade
And that right there is why I really don't recommend wildcats particularly for someone that does any serious traveling to hunt. Anywhere you are in N. America you can pretty well guarantee no more than a two day wait for replacement ammo IF you are shooting a standard factory round and it's way to easy to somehow find yourself in a situation where you get separated from your ammo.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.