Best Projectile For The 308 Norma Magnum

Divey
I have been using a 308 Norma Mag. since the early 70's. It's a Remington 03-A4 Springfield. I have used Hornady 180 gr. spire pt., worked on Whitetail Deer. Also used Sierra 180 gr. spire pt., 180 gr. Nosler Bt., all worked well on Whitetail Deer out to 300 + yds. Several years ago, new barrel, I have been using the Sierra 165 Gameking Hpbt's. on Whitetail deer and Groundhogs. Any of the above will do what you ask, extend the range then a heavy bullet will be in order as per the other post's. Have fun and enjoy

"The 308 Norm Mag., the Original Hammer of Thor"

Hogginking

Hello sir, just wondering how do you like that 03A4? What made you want to rechamber it? Does it still have the full length wood stock? Whats your most accurate load, what velocity for that load, and what size groups are you getting with it? Is anything done to it as far as trued action, glass bedding, floated barrel?

Sorry for all the questions.

I been thinking about getting a 03 or Garand for a while now. Particularly one from James River, they sure do look nice:

http://www.jamesriverarmory.com/com...flypage_new.tpl&product_id=257&category_id=31

http://www.jamesriverarmory.com/com...flypage_new.tpl&product_id=208&category_id=31

http://www.jamesriverarmory.com/com...flypage_new.tpl&product_id=244&category_id=31

Hello sir, just wondering how do you like that 03A4? What made you want to rechamber it? Does it still have the full length wood stock? Whats your most accurate load, what velocity for that load, and what size groups are you getting with it? Is anything done to it as far as trued action, glass bedding, floated barrel?

lazerflat
I love the 03-a4, it was used when I got it, already had been rechamber. No it has been a sporter since I had it. I started out with IMR 4831 many years ago but changed to IMR 4350 and that is what I have used for a looong time.
I have not shot it off the bench for a few years, some days it does well, some days I stink. My groups are minute of Deer and minute of Groundhog, nothing more. The 165's are 3250 <> and the 180's are 3100<> and I never checked the 200 gr. roundnose for velocity.
I never had the action trued but the action and some of the forearm was bedded when I had the barrel replaced [douglas]. It has a 26" SS barrel and a Timney trigger set at 2 1/2 lbs.
No problem with the ?
"The Original Hammer of Thor"
Hogginking

I have a 308 Norma Magnum full custom built on FN Mauser 98 trued action, Douglas premium 24" barrel. I haven't shot it for quite a few years but I recall I had great results with Hornady 180gr Interlocks SPBT (#3072) BC of 0.452 (not bad for a hunting bullet). I have got in the past up to 3,153 fps (chroned) and a three shot group at 0.705" at 100 yards. I have not done much long range with it Can comfortably over 3,100 fps.

You have refired my interest in this calibre and rifle. i must get it out of my gun safe, do some loading for it and shoot it again sometime soon.
Rifle.12_Cropped.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts