.280ai help

I am shooting the 175g Nosler long range with IMR 7828 with a fed 215 in Lapua 30/06 brass. 2950 fps, tiny groups.

Yes Bob I did the neck down, and also neck turned. When doing this, you have to clean the carbon out of the neck in the chamber, easy. I lucked out some years ago and got a bunch of once fired lapua 30/06 for free. The brass is fire forming well with no splits even though it was fired in a 30/06 rifle. 14.6g of bullseye topped off with cream of wheat and a piece of blue paper towel.

The 175g Nosler long range is a bullet worth building a rifle around, puts a big hurt on white tails near and far with complete penetration from any angle. I like the shock it puts on the deer.

We also shoot this bullet in 7 Mags with R#22 and R#26, tiny groups at 2850 and 3050 respectively.

I tried the 140g ttsx at 3200 and at 450 yards, deer will often run like a scalded cat. That 175 LRAB turns their entire guts to a blended mess, and they rarely run.

I had No luck with the 150, but nephew's 7 Mag shoots them jumping about .120 and they really mess up a deer....we hate running deer.

Last edited:
Ok I live behind the curtain here in CA and need a little help with my .280ai. I built a pretty much matching g set of .280ai's for myself and a friend. Well I found a load that worked great with the 140 grain TSX and IMR 4350 super accurate but temp sensitive.

Remember I need to use a mono built in this state for hunting.

Well we recently went to Utah for a deer hunt. We went to shot before the hunt and check zero and shoot a bit and both our rifles were left by a couple inches. I re zeroed mine and ran it out to 300 then 500 and all seemed well. My buddy however doesn't shoot as much as me and just doesn't have very much confidence in this rifle anymore. So I need to find another copper load for his rifle.
At the same time I would like to work up a good lead load as well to have as a back and for out of state hunting and the range.

Let me know what you got. I plan on trying the 140 grain E-tip next and then the GMX I couldn't get the Barnes LRX to group worth a *Rule 4 Violation*.
Have had good luck with H-4831sc with heavier bullets If I were you I would certainly go with the 143 hammer hunter maybe with H-4350 or hybrid 100v This bullet is a killing machine The h-4350 is very temp stable compared to the imr version

No doubt that the 280 AI is one of the finest cartridges you can hunt with.

We use the 160g Sierra BTSP on short range to 300 yards, and the 175g Nosler long range further on out.

If you like head shooting deer, then the 162g Hornady BTSP is your huckleberry. Many bullets fail this test, and we have 6x-24x scopes. I am not a proponent of head shooting deer, but there are more of these guys than most would ever believe. It takes one heck of a tough bullet to head shoot deer. I prefer neck shots.

We eat around 5 deer per year, hamburger and cube steak.

Ok I live behind the curtain here in CA and need a little help with my .280ai. I built a pretty much matching g set of .280ai's for myself and a friend. Well I found a load that worked great with the 140 grain TSX and IMR 4350 super accurate but temp sensitive.

Remember I need to use a mono built in this state for hunting.

Well we recently went to Utah for a deer hunt. We went to shot before the hunt and check zero and shoot a bit and both our rifles were left by a couple inches. I re zeroed mine and ran it out to 300 then 500 and all seemed well. My buddy however doesn't shoot as much as me and just doesn't have very much confidence in this rifle anymore. So I need to find another copper load for his rifle.
At the same time I would like to work up a good lead load as well to have as a back and for out of state hunting and the range.

Let me know what you got. I plan on trying the 140 grain E-tip next and then the GMX I couldn't get the Barnes LRX to group worth a *Rule 4 Violation*.
Started working with rl 23 this morning with the 143 hammer hunter found a great load at 62.5 with cci mag primer and Hornady brass running at 3240 fps 20 thou off lands 3.6 s.d. load is a little warm I would start at 61 and work up its shooting under1/2 moa at 200 I will stretch it out later today

Started working with rl 23 this morning with the 143 hammer hunter found a great load at 62.5 with cci mag primer and Hornady brass running at 3240 fps 20 thou off lands 3.6 s.d. load is a little warm I would start at 61 and work up its shooting under1/2 moa at 200 I will stretch it out later today
Good note as my Nosler brass maxed out on pressure well below 62.5. Interested to see where your node is at. Mine is around 3170 fps and 58 gr. +/-

I've tested many of each brand for temp sensitivity, hands down Hodg Extreme is the best, IMR Enduron in the middle and RL in last place of the advertised temp stable powders. RL 23 actually had more than 100fps difference from 80f to 0F. The absolute worst I've seen is Norma MRP it did not burn correctly at 9500F at -15f it was not quite a squib but noticeably less than full burn.

Good note as my Nosler brass maxed out on pressure well below 62.5. Interested to see where your node is at. Mine is around 3170 fps and 58 gr. +/-
Well we will be backing off the 62.5 a little just to hard on the brass 3 loads and primer pockets are gone 60.5 shows some promise at 3130 fps and 5.7 sd

JMW, you need to upgrade your brass....Lapua 30/06 fire formed with 14.6g of Bullseye and cream of wheat. Watch the carbon in the neck, clean it regularly if you go back to the longer neck. You will think that you are shooting a different caliber in how the brass holds up. The older Winchester blue bag 30/06 brass is pretty good also.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.