270 to 280/280AI HELP NEEDED!

Make it easy on yourself have your new barrel chambered for the SAAMI nosler version 280 ackley improved ..get some nosler 280 Ackley brass and go shoot...

Good advise - I agree. Any other way trying to use your 270 brass will be like saving pennies that will end up costing you a dollar.

It's impossible.....You need to just pack all that lapua '06 brass up and send it to me. I can use it for my .30-06 AI. :D

It's a simple process, but a very time consuming process. I re-purpose 1x fired .270 Win brass for my .25-06 AI brass. I size the necks down, then trim to a special length that compensates for the 0.020" in neck shortening during fire-forming, and then chamfer and deburr the necks. Then I load them up, then shoot them.

It turns them from this (left), to this (right)...

CEE8952D-3254-40B2-8698-B240B2DC8C0E_zpscf47iauq.jpg

Im intrested in going to a 25-06 or 25-06AI. Could you give a more detailed description of how you size down to that and such? Im still somewhat new to reloading and have only loaded for the 270 win with a lee classic loader (the hammer kind). Are you just pushing 270 cases into a 25-06 die to get them sized down and then trimming to appropriate length? Like i said any info would be great.

Im intrested in going to a 25-06 or 25-06AI. Could you give a more detailed description of how you size down to that and such? Im still somewhat new to reloading and have only loaded for the 270 win with a lee classic loader (the hammer kind). Are you just pushing 270 cases into a 25-06 die to get them sized down and then trimming to appropriate length? Like i said any info would be great.
Actually, I FL size the cases in a .270 Win die without an expander ball in the die (keeps the case neck smaller, so it's easier to size in the .25-06 AI die), since they have already been shot by someone else. Then I run them through the .25-06 AI FL sizing die. Then I trim the neck to 2.514". Then I chamfer and deburr the inside and outside of my case mouths. Then I load a light load of Alliant Reloder 19 powder (around 45 grains), then load a cheap Hornady Interlock seated touching the lands, that way there is no play forward or backwards and the case head is seated firmly against the bolt face. Then I take them to the range, and when I shoot them, out-pops a formed .25-06 AI brass that is within specs of 2.494" (case length after forming).

You can also do this same process to go from .270 Win to regular .25-06 Rem. Except you won't have to compensate for the added 0.020". Therefore you will just neck them down to .25-06 and then trim to 2.494", then chamfer and deburr the case mouths.

Building a .30-06 AI is even easier. You just load up .30-06 brass with a light load and a bullet up into the lands and shoot it. No trimming or any of that stuff. LOL I have one of these also.

Thanks! Glad i was atleast somewhat on the right track in my mind. Lol. I might be intrested in the 30-06AI as well. Heck i just like experimenting i guess. Might have to hit up the local pawn shops and see what i can build.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.