270 to 280/280AI HELP NEEDED!

boattailed bandit

So i have an older weatherby vanguard 270 round count unknown. Its fine right now but in the near future i feel it will need to be rebarreled. Im thinking of going to a 280 or 280AI. Could someone walk me through the process as far as forming my brass from 270 to 280? Is that possible? Or do i start with 280 brass and work from there? Might be a stupid question but you dont know till you ask. Thanks to all who reply.

BTB

So i have an older weatherby vanguard 270 round count unknown. Its fine right now but in the near future i feel it will need to be rebarreled. Im thinking of going to a 280 or 280AI. Could someone walk me through the process as far as forming my brass from 270 to 280? Is that possible? Or do i start with 280 brass and work from there? Might be a stupid question but you dont know till you ask. Thanks to all who reply.

BTB

You can form 280 AI brass from 270...I'm not sure of the process and there might be some length issues, I believe 280 brass is longer than 270 by a little bit.

I have a 280 AI being built right now (Nosler Custom)...so I'm in the learning phase too, but I've been reading all I could find for a couple of months now.

I'd recommend either starting off by fireforming regular 280 brass...or buying Nosler 280 AI brass...I'm going with Nosler brass myself...if you decide to use Nosler, make sure whoever chambers your rifle uses a SAAMI spec reamer...or you "might" still need to fireform the Nosler brass...some have had problems, some haven't...its a long story that nobody agrees on...but if your chamber is cut with a SAAMI spec reamer...you'll be fine either way.

I'm not a big fan of necking up but if you do the math it might work out nicely.

The 270 bullet diameter is .277", once fired it will likely expand the brass neck ID to ~ 279" - .280".

A 280 bullet diameter is .284" and a sizing die will likely provide .002" - .003" neck tension so the ID on the 280 sized neck will be about .282".

You would only have to expand the neck about .002" - .003".

A FL sizing die with an eliptical expander ball and a bit of lube on it should do it easily. I think you would just have to run it up into the die. Not sure but you might need to trim a bit off the length of the 270 case before running it into a 280 FL sizer.

I resize 30-06 to 25-06. I like to use the "Greek" brass with HXP head-stamp because it does not have any other markings aside from a year of manufacture. Then I turn the necks for uniformity. Not difficult at all, just takes a bit of time.

Thanks this is all good info! Would there be any other calibers yall would reccomend sizing to? My game is usually white tail but would love to go somewhere for a big muley. Just trying to see what all my options are.

But what about headspace?

The 280 Rem and Ackley both have a longer headspace distance than 270, 30-06, or 25-06 (which all share the same headspace)...

You could use the bullet to headspace, jammed lightly into the lands...but just unning a 270 case into a 280 die wont even touch the shoulders.

I never thought about this. Im new to extensive reloading and such. Mostly stock rounds to SAMI specs. What about going down to a 25-06. Would that be possible from a 270? Im rebarelling anyways so my options are kind of open. Id just end up with a long action 25-06 right? Bolt face should still be the same.

Make it easy on yourself have your new barrel chambered for the SAAMI nosler version 280 ackley improved ..get some nosler 280 Ackley brass and go shoot...

I agree that the 280AI is the best way to go but don't agree that you need to go with the Nosler specs. The conventional AI specs that Mr. Ackley published are the most common specs out there. You can also neck down Lapua 30-06 brass and fire form it. Or just buy Norma 280 brass and shot it in your new 280AI and it is all formed for you.

I agree that the 280AI is the best way to go but don't agree that you need to go with the Nosler specs. The conventional AI specs that Mr. Ackley published are the most common specs out there.

That may be true...and it may not...Nosler, Kimber, and Cooper have been selling SAAMI spec 280AI's for about 6 years now...To add to that, the price of reloading dies...The SAAMI spec version is a standard offering...the old spec dies are custom options only now...pretty darn expensive...

Even if what you say is true right now...simple economics says it won't be for long.

You can also neck down Lapua 30-06 brass and fire form it. Or just buy Norma 280 brass and shot it in your new 280AI and it is all formed for you.

I'd be interested in hearing the details of how to do this, and what the neck length ends up at?

I have 100 Lapua 30-06 brass...50 of which are unfired.

Make it easy on yourself have your new barrel chambered for the SAAMI nosler version 280 ackley improved ..get some nosler 280 Ackley brass and go shoot...

Bingo! If you're not experienced wildcatter, then just go with the SAAMI spec reamer and Nosler brand .280 AI brass. Simple and easiest way to get properly fire-formed brass.

I never thought about this. Im new to extensive reloading and such. Mostly stock rounds to SAMI specs. What about going down to a 25-06. Would that be possible from a 270? Im rebarelling anyways so my options are kind of open. Id just end up with a long action 25-06 right? Bolt face should still be the same.

I wouldn't give up on the 280 Ackley....it is a SAAMI stock round now...get the SAAMI chamber, Nosler brass (or factory 280 ammo) and reload it just like any other SAAMI round.

Its not complicated...its just "new", and is having some growing pains.

I have 100 Lapua 30-06 brass...50 of which are unfired.
It's impossible.....You need to just pack all that lapua '06 brass up and send it to me. I can use it for my .30-06 AI. :D

It's a simple process, but a very time consuming process. I re-purpose 1x fired .270 Win brass for my .25-06 AI brass. I size the necks down, then trim to a special length that compensates for the 0.020" in neck shortening during fire-forming, and then chamfer and deburr the necks. Then I load them up, then shoot them.

It turns them from this (left), to this (right)...

CEE8952D-3254-40B2-8698-B240B2DC8C0E_zpscf47iauq.jpg

Give it a little expansion and seat a bullet long, bang and trim OR neck up to 30 cal then neck back to 284 only enough to set a false shoulder, BANG, trim and you have brass.

Now back to thread hijack :rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.