280ai Build Help

Blacktail

Well I think I am finally going to build one. Here is what I am thinking and open to any suggestions as I am going to compile the components then have a smith build. I tend to backpack a lot so looking at a finished weight of 7.25-7.5 lbs so with a vortex LH or leuopold be around 8 lbs tops. Here is what I am considering and again please let me know thoughts. Hoping build will result in a .5 MOA rifle for 140s and 160's.

Action: 700 ADL or a Borden
Barrel: #3 fluted some have talked about a Broughton, Brux or Pac Nor 24" measured forward of lug
contemplating a proof or benchmark carbon barrel as well
Twist Rate: 1:9 some have suggests 1:8.5
Stock: Mcmillan classic or hunter in edge filled or a manners (no experience with manners)
Trigger: Jewell
Bottom Metal: Suggests please will be in a ADL configuration to save weight
Cerakote Graphite black with olive or tan stock with black webbing

Thanks guys and help greatly appreciated. I kind want this to be my one gun for all and last build be all know how that goes lol

Sounds very nice. I like my Cooper 280AI, but it is chambered really stupid. I cant even load it to mag length. It shoots the 168 Classic Hunters well at 2900 fps with 4831SC. Borden makes a nice action. I have two of them. One in a 6.5 Sherman built by Jim Borden. The other one is a 300 Win Mag, built locally. Both shoot incredibly well. Brux barrels have been great to me. Stocks I like are Mcmillan Game Scout, Manners EH1. Good luck with the build.

Thanks for the help I have never owned a manners Def need to take a look at them. My daughters 7/08Ai has an edge bruce and manners sweet little gun. It was a deal couldn't pass up

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts