280AI build help!

Powerman300

I have decided to build a 280AI. I have looked at many actions and barrels and I just can't make up my mind on what to get. I know I want a barrel similar in size and contour to a #5 Hart barrel because I have put my hands on one. I have looked at actions like the BAT DEFIANCE STILLER and a few more. Does anyone here have a 280AI with some input like twist rates, actions and barrel combo's, and how their guns shoot?
Probably gonna shoot a 140-150 grain bullet. Thanks

I have a .280, but I would go to a fast 6.5 were I planning on shooting bullets that light. In fact, I'm rethinking all of my 7s in favor of 6.5s after my last hunt. You won't likely be disappointed with any of the actions you listed. 1:9 seems pretty typical for what most of us are going for in 7mms, but I try not to go lighter than 155gr bullets. What kind of specifics are you looking for in action/barrel combos? I like a medium Palma or Sendero barrel contour as a good blend of rigidity and weight.

If you are doing a 7mm, I'd go 8" twist so you can shoot any of the heavies out there. I shoot 140-195 grain in my 8" twist 7mm stw accurately. I still need to find a cold weather load for the 195 though....

I just got my 280ai barrel/action back, and have not yet fired the thing. In fact, this weekend I'm going to do my loading for the break-in firing.

Mine is a Remington action. The barrel is 24" Pac-Nor #3 contour with 1:8 twist.

A 1:9 twist is pretty standard, but you will be limiting yourself on the upper end of bullet weights.

I have one in the works Stiller Predator action #4 26" Benchmark 1-9 twist set into a Game Scout with Edge fill, will be topped with lightweight rings ,and a Vortex HSLR with 1/4 MOA elevation turret instead of 1/2 MOA Turret . Now just to get it all put together. This is almost the twin to my 6.5 284 ( rem action) if it shoots like the 6.5 it will be a awesome outfit .

A 1:9 twist is pretty standard, but you will be limiting yourself on the upper end of bullet weights.

That's why I was thinking a 6.5 if he only wants to shoot 140-150gr. I built a 6.5X55AI for this same thing, but a 6.5-284 or .264 Win Mag will put him in the same ball park as the .280AI with a higher SD and BC.

That's why I was thinking a 6.5 if he only wants to shoot 140-150gr. I built a 6.5X55AI for this same thing, but a 6.5-284 or .264 Win Mag will put him in the same ball park as the .280AI with a higher SD and BC.

Yep, I totally agree. You'd be better off in that bullet weight to go with the 6.5's. I went with the 280ai specifically to shoot the 168 - 180 weight's.

I'd also consider a 6.5-06 :cool:

I mainly just want a happy medium between a Remington sporter and a sendero type rifle. I will be using it strictly for whitetail hunting with the furthest shot I would ever be able to take where I hunt would be around 600yds. I'm coming from a 300 win mag so I really don't think I want to go any smaller than a .284 bullet. However I know very little about the 6.5s so I guess I can't take that out of the equation. At the end of the day, I want to end up with a lightweight, comfortable, highly accurate rifle that can kill!

At the end of the day, I want to end up with a lightweight, comfortable, highly accurate rifle that can kill!

A Nosler M48 Custom...1 in 9 twist, 24" magnum contour barrel (.650" at the muzzle), 9.25 lbs. fully dressed loaded an ready to hunt...and shoots any respectable ammo you care to feed it to .5 MOA.

I shoot 160 grain Nosler Accubonds at 3,020 fps using Reloder 26 powder and can bang 8" square steel out to 800 yards so easily it gets boring.

If I can see it..and if its within the adjustment range of my scope (820 yards, 16.5 MOA)...I can kill it!

If I had a scope with more adjustment I could go much further, but 800 yards was all I was after from the start...I didn't want a 30 oz. scope...the Zeiss HD5 fits the bill perfectly, tracks true and returns to zero every time.

Last edited:
If I had a scope with more adjustment I could go much further, but 800 yards was all I was after from the start...I didn't want a 30 oz. scope...the Zeiss HD5 fits the bill perfectly, tracks true and returns to zero every time.

Take out the zero stop screw and you can easily take it out to 1k.

Take out the zero stop screw and you can easily take it out to 1k.

Yes...I have done that, made it to 1,060 yards...but I like it better with the zero stops in, one less thing to worry about.

I mainly just want a happy medium between a Remington sporter and a sendero type rifle. I will be using it strictly for whitetail hunting with the furthest shot I would ever be able to take where I hunt would be around 600yds. I'm coming from a 300 win mag so I really don't think I want to go any smaller than a .284 bullet. However I know very little about the 6.5s so I guess I can't take that out of the equation. At the end of the day, I want to end up with a lightweight, comfortable, highly accurate rifle that can kill!

It really depending on how much weight you want to carry. I wanted longer barrel on my 280AI as I can do some longer shots here in Co. I got little smaller contour so I could have 27" barrel and still keep rifle under 10 lb and still have well balanced rifle. If I want with that barrel I can do 3100fps plus with 160gr AB and has 1/9 twist and it will handle 180gr Bergers.

If I replace that barrel I might do 1/8 twist and kept same barrel length.

When I had 280AI I also had 284 build long action and same barrel length as 280AI and OAL
3.228" same as 6.5x284 Norma. You can neck up Lapua brass and I think there some Norma 284 still maybe do 25" barrel and 1/8 twist be a nice deer rifle. I shot 6.5x284 Norma on a long action for couple years and with the bullets improving for 7mm is one of the reason I did 284.

Well good luck

I think we are doing the same thing. I think I'm narrowing down want I want now.

Rem 700 action trued
24" #5 contour fluted
I was going to go with a synthetic stock but I have decided on a laminate

Hoping to stay in the 9-9.5lb with scope

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.