.280AI build questions

I wholeheartedly agree with all of this!

I believe every caliber has it's niche and truly believe that a 7mm fills the do it all rifle perfectly because of the bullet selection ranging from 110 gr Barnes to 175 gr Nosler's. Yet this is my personal opinion and almost any caliber 6.5 and up could be a do it all. I just prefer the lighter recoil of a non magnum 7mm.

The 7.62x51 or .308, will always be near and dear to my heart as well, because of how much experience I have with it, and how many times it saved my, or a close friends life. But MY experience with ammunition is limited to the M118LR, I've never loaded it myself.
Don't forget the 7mm Berger 180 VLD's and Hybrids... :D

I agree that the 7mm is THE finest do-it-all bullet ever designed. You will never get an arguement out of me about that. LOL

I have a bunch of 7mm's. 7mm-08, three 7mmRM's, 7mm STW, and fixing to be building a .280 A.I. To say the least, I love 7mm's. :cool:

I will be more than happy to share with you some of my "pet" loads for the .308. I even have 1 that uses the Berger 210 VLD's, and pushes about 2,400 fps MV. Still holds about 950 lbs of energy @ 850 yards. :D

My best friend is 11Bravo, as well. He just got back at the end of May from Afghanistan. He was stationed @ KAF.

Don't forget the 7mm Berger 180 VLD's and Hybrids... :D

I agree that the 7mm is THE finest do-it-all bullet ever designed. You will never get an arguement out of me about that. LOL

I have a bunch of 7mm's. 7mm-08, three 7mmRM's, 7mm STW, and fixing to be building a .280 A.I. To say the least, I love 7mm's. :cool:

I will be more than happy to share with you some of my "pet" loads for the .308. I even have 1 that uses the Berger 210 VLD's, and pushes about 2,400 fps MV. Still holds about 950 lbs of energy @ 850 yards. :D

My best friend is 11Bravo, as well. He just got back at the end of May from Afghanistan. He was stationed @ KAF.

First off tell your friend thanks for his service, even though I did serve I am no longer in service. Thanks to men like him I no longer am required.:D

That sounds like a great load, I presently don't have a .308 because I have a .280AI, it's also my do it all rifle.:cool:

Your right! How could I forget about the 180gr Bergers? Then again I'm more of a light for caliber guy.

If you like the A.I., I would definitely consider a Sherman. It will outperform the A.I. easily. I like to use the 270 Norma brass for fireforming although you have LOTS of brass options.........Rich

do you anticipate any trouble loading the Berger 168 and/or 180 vld's where they like to be seated and still staying comfortably inside the standard factory magazine? This being strictly a hunting rifle, that is one issue of concern and I don't necessarily want to be restricted to a bullet like the Classic Hunter.

So back to this question as it went unanswered before. Will the VLD's fit in a standard mag box or is an extended box necessary?

I'm curious, following this advice, do you anticipate any trouble loading the Berger 168 and/or 180 vld's where they like to be seated and still staying comfortably inside the standard factory magazine? This being strictly a hunting rifle, that is one issue of concern and I don't necessarily want to be restricted to a bullet like the Classic Hunter.

It is a common belief that Berger's have to be seated touching the lands for the best accuracy.

With a good concentric chamber this is not necessarily true. I have built many 280 AIs and the guys that want to shoot the 180 Berger's have found that they are actually better seated well off the lands
(.090 to .110) and are able to load them to mag length.

When loaded off the lands or better yet Mag length, velocity is better and pressure is down, and the 280 AI With big bullets can meet or exceed the 7 rem mag. Accuracy is also excellent .

Stay with a SAMME chamber and Magazine length loads and you wont be restricted to one or two
bullets.

J E CUSTOM

It is a common belief that Berger's have to be seated touching the lands for the best accuracy.

With a good concentric chamber this is not necessarily true. I have built many 280 AIs and the guys that want to shoot the 180 Berger's have found that they are actually better seated well off the lands
(.090 to .110) and are able to load them to mag length.

When loaded off the lands or better yet Mag length, velocity is better and pressure is down, and the 280 AI With big bullets can meet or exceed the 7 rem mag. Accuracy is also excellent .

Stay with a SAMME chamber and Magazine length loads and you wont be restricted to one or two
bullets.

J E CUSTOM

Great!! thank you for the advice. Much appreciated.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.