280 Remington Bullet Selection

ksshooter

I have a custom Sako in 280 Remington with a shilen match grade medium weight 1:8 twist barrel. Need help-advice on what bullet I should be shooting. I will be hunting mainly deer with maybe an elk in some future year. Thanks

What ranges will you be shooting?

The 150gr class bullets should work very well in that rifle all the way around. I'd start with the Nosler Accubond, Hornady Interbond, and Swift Sirocco II's. All have given me outstanding performance on deer.

I want to be able to shoot whitetail does at 400-500yds if I have to(not prefered). Elk would prolly be limited to 300. Is it possible to have 140gr bullets goin to fast in the 8 twist?

There's a lot of argument over whether or not you can spin bullets too fast. Target shooters argue that if you spin them too fast they fail to "tip forward" which makes them inconsistent at long range.

With an 8 twist I think you'll be very happy with the 150's though. Pick one of the above suggested bullets and try them in both 140 and 150gr if you like. The 139gr interlock is deadly poison on deer in the 7mm Mag and should work well in the 280 as well. Personally I think you get better overall performance with the 150gr offerings though as the lighter bullets bleed energy pretty quickly once you get past 400yds.

The 150 gr bullets that Wild Rose mentioned would be a good place to start.
Just for grins if you can find some of the 150 gr Nosler LRAB they may be worth trying at .280 Rem. velocities.

My wife has shot multiple bulls from 40 to 316 yards with 160 partitions and imr4831 out of her a-bolt chambered in 280.

Last edited:
My brother has used 140s out of his Browning a-bolt 280 ever since he bought it. Great bullet weight with excellent accuracy and is good medicine for any critter that he has come across with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.