.280 rem with a 22" barrel?

i checked shooters pro shop and they dont have any at this time.im looking for some once fired brass to handload if anyone has any they dont need.i have quite a bit of 30-06 brass if anyone wants to trade,i also have a bit of 6mm rem brass too

Barrel break in went well,but trying to test different loads while fireforming brass was a joke.i did manage a couple decent groups with slow powder,and the short barrel did clear the 2900 mark.now that i have some good brass i need to do it all over again.

went out again today and chrono'ed a few rds with the formed brass. 58.5 grns of imr 7828 went 2930 out of the new 22"280 barrel with the 162 eld match by hornady,and grouped less than half moa.further tweeking of this load could easily net sub 1/4 moa groups.i'm stoked.this project was a total success.

went out again today and chrono'ed a few rds with the formed brass. 58.5 grns of imr 7828 went 2930 out of the new 22"280 barrel with the 162 eld match by hornady,and grouped less than half moa.further tweeking of this load could easily net sub 1/4 moa groups.i'm stoked.this project was a total success.

Is that 7mm rem mag velocities out of a 22 inch barrel??

well i tested 3 powders, 2 seating depths,and one bullet,and the best overall combination was 58.0 grns of rl22 with a 162 eld match averaged 2910 fps with zero pressure signs and 1/4 moa accuracy at 100 yrds.i also tried imr 7828,which grouped well,but gave pressure issues once the 2900 mark was met. h4831sc was a big dissapointment,netting slow speeds and non impressive groups.so now i have a great carry rifle,that weighs 12.5 lbs,shoots well and does it with a 22" barrel.

here are some pics of the current setup

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 32
Nice rifle. I would have never of thought of a .280 as a "tactical" rifle. Overall good looking setup.

sure,it sports a rem 700 bluprinted long action,criterion varmint 9 twist remage prefit from northland shooters supply,mdt hs3 front chassis with a modified luth ar skullaton buttstock assy,(i added a morgan adjustable pad and a modified choate cheekpiece),homemade monpod,timney trigger set at 1 lb,egw 20 moa rail,weaver 6 screw rings,vortex pst scope.barrel is tipped with a ross schuler 3 port brake.gun weighs exactly 12.5lbs with a harris br pod,leather sling,and empty a.i mag.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.