.280 rem with a 22" barrel?

If your worried about top velocity, then I would go with 24" and forget it. Then again the 7-08 does well at 1000 yards and beyond, and a 22" 280 will have higher velocity than that. So, you will have to go a few more clicks than you would normally. That's how I felt when I had to cut and recrown my 24" 7mm mag to 23", then I realized I lost 15 fps on average with the "pet" load it liked. Luckily it still liked it after shortening the barrel, it liked it slightly better even..

Wow feenix that yote didnt know what hit him.225 grn bullet,,,blaaam

Aye Sir! To be fair, I don't normally hunt coyote with my .338 WM. My buddy and I came back from a very slow day elk hunting and decided to stop by on our way home to a BMA and see if we can fill our doe tags.

I had an opportunity to fill mine but could not resist and opted for the yote instead. :Dgun)

the 280 wd also double as a backup steel plate gun so an ar based gun in 22 cal wont cut it at 1200 yrds

Do a query on Shane's (MontanaMarine) post on .308 and .30-06 shooting the heavies well beyond 1200 yards.

ADDED:

Found a couple for a teasers ...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/nosler-190gr-ablr-30-06-a-145307/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/208-amax-1-12-twist-308win-range-report-26984/

i have a .280 rem criterion remage barrel on its way now so here very soon i will shorten it to 22" crown and thread for a brake,and start the loading phase.i will post my velocities as soon as i get to test loads.

I love the .280 Remington and I had one before I built a rifle in .280 Ackley Improved. Either one is outstanding. My 280 had a standard 22 " barrel on it but for my build I went with a 24" barrel. I shot a cow elk this year at 450 yards with one shot. She went about 30 feet and tipped over. I was using a handload with a 140 gr. Partition at 3230 fps.

nice velocities.i sized some 30-06 brass down to 280 rem last night and discovered that 280 rem cases are longer than 30-06 lol.i guess i could fireform some brass but i wd rather start off with some real 280 rem brass.if anyone has some fresh 280 brass they wouldnt mind letting go of i wd buy it.

Go to shooters pro shop where they sell blemished and over-runs on Nosler brass (which is excellent stuff). I found some 280 Remington brass on there just a day or two ago. Check the site every couple days or so and you will find some.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.