280 Rem Loads

Blacktail2

I have a new 280 from Terry Cross on the way and I am starting to get things together.I'am looking for loads for the higher BC bullets(168-180Berger,168-175MK,160Accubond,etc).Powders that I have on hand are Retumbo,H-1000,vv n560,vv 165,H4831sc,h4350,Magpro and R22.I used the search function, but there's not much info on the 280.I am looking for hunting and target loads.---- Thanks Blacktail 2

Have you looked at the powder company websites for reloading data? You should definitely email Walt for the Berger info. All of the powders you have will work very well. You can also reference Steves pages: 284_1_160

Just click on a bullet wt and it will tell you all the powders he's tried and the loads. He highlights which powder worked best for him. Re25 popped up a couple of times with some bullet wts.

Good luck. I'd be interested in your test results with the vihtavuori powders.

280 Loads

Derek,
Thanks for the link to the web site, its a new one to me.I will try to keep you posted on load development.------ BT

Blacktail2,
I have been working with my new .280 for several months. Actually, I hit it perfect with the first try. My load is 56 grns. of RL-19 behind a 140 Nosler Accubond. This group printed .25" @ 100. I also tried 57 grns. of the same powder, it shot .50" @ 100. Either load is excellent. This load also shot 3 shots into 6" at 500 yds. The COL is 3.362". The gun is a T/C Encore ProHunter with 28" barrel. Hope this helps.

I am using Winchester Nickle brass and Winchester primers. I also tried the same powder load with the Hornady 139 SST, but they wouldn't group well at all. The 7mm 140 Nosler Accubond seems to be a great bullet. I use it in a 7mm STW load, also with excellent results.

I have a .280 built on a rechambered 7x57 Ruger M77 Mk1- 55cm barrel. It shoots best with Winchester WXR ( now discontinued ). The best bullets I have found are 140 and 160 gn Woodleigh. With a load of 58 gns of WXR behind the 160 gn for 2780 fps, 59 gns of WXR for 2850 fps -( measured) and no over pressure signs- primers etc. The 140 gn Woodleigh with 59gns of WXR. Both loads shoot to the same point. I do not have to resight- I have NEVER struck this before.
Sadly I have next to none of the WXR left so I am hunting for a new load for 140 Rem Core-Lokts.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.