280 Rem loads

remcraz

Hey
I was wondering if anyone had any pet loads for the 280 Rem. I am wanting to get as much velosity as I can and still be accurate. Will I be able to get 3000+ with 140 Accubonds because that is the bullet I am wanting to use
Thanks Ted

Ted,

I grew up in S.W. Va. and I still think of myself as a Virginian even though I now live in Tn. and do most of my deer hunting in Nebraska.

Over the last few years I have come to enjoy shooting and loading for the 280 Rem.. I have a Model 700 Rem CDL with a 24 inch barrel.

Can you get 3000 Ft/sec with accuracy out of your gun? I think you can if your gun likes the 140 Accubonds.

Here are some loads that I have used.

1. !40 Accubond, RP cases, 210M primers,54.5 grains of RL-17. Average velocity 2989 ft/sec. This is the load that I used to take a big Nebraska deer. My last three shots before heading to Neb. measured .36 inch at 100 yards.

2. 140 Accubond, RP cases, WLR primers, 57 grains of RL-19, Average velocity 2974 ft/sec.. This an accurate load in my gun but not quite as accurate as the RL-17 load. I have taken deer with this load and my son uses it in his Ruger 77 to take many deer.

3. Factory Load. Hornady Superperformance 139 GMX. Average velocity out of my gun 3064 ft/sec.. Not as accurate as the two loads listed above.

4. Barnes 140 grains TSX. RP cases, WLR primers, RL-22, 59.5 grains. Average velocity 3046 ft/sec.. I have never shot a deer with these last two loads but this one is more accurate than the factory load.

If you use any of the loads listed above make sure you start low and work up.

I use the 140ab. I can get 2975fps with h-4831sc fed210 primers R/P cases charge running at 59gr. Of coarse work up to that. I'm still under 3/4 inch with this load. My best is with 1/2gr less punching holes that measure 3/8" outside dia at 2950fps average.

I shoot a custom 280 in a Rem action 24" Hart. RL-22 55.5 gns with the Barnes 140TSx or the 140 Sierra Pro hunter( flat base ) getting 3000+ fps. The Sierra shoots bug holes sub bore groups out to 300 yards the Barnes will shoot moa only. Both kill well the Seirra has had kills up to 400+ yds with great expansion and knock down. Jump is.002.

Keep it comin. It's my favorite round and I have two. One I have not shot yet and am working on putting a scope on it this is why I haven't shot it yet. But my other one is a CDL remmy 700. I have some 140 ttsx to try and have not got e around to it yet but soon. The ttsx and accubonds one are the only ones I have for it. I though of going to 150gr but haven't decided yet. I was also going to try hodgdons superformance to see how that will work. Hopefully soon.

I have not tried anything but 140's but my gun likes the Sierras. If it ain't broke don't fix it. But I'm getting ready to load some 160 Accubonds for a friend who has a Dakota. And he wants a heavier bullet for larger game. His shoots factory loads fine and he will not shoot over 300 yds. It's going to slow it down a bit, but if it shoots well, it doesn't really matter. Will let you know how they shoot.
Chip

I have three .280's and love the cartridge (custom w/A3-03 action, WIN Model 70, and a Marlin Bolt action). I also shoot the 7MM Mag (have 2 / Browning A-Bolt, Custom Mauser). Wanted rifles of same caliber, and have not been disappointed. With the 140 grain bullets, it is hard to beat 4350 or 4831 for both velocity and accuracy. In the 150 grain bullets, I have found that RL-22 gives me the best of both worlds. I really hesitate to list my recipes, because I work them up, and find out where the sweet spot is. Each reloader should do the same, just my gut feelings. Each bullet manufacturer has good information in their respective manuals. So pick a bullet and go from there. "Happy Hunting/Shooting!"

I have two 280's, one a fifty+ yr old Rem. Model 721 w/24" factory barrel, the other a 15 yr. old Rem. Mod. 700 Mountain Rifle. The 721 will shoot bug holes - best group ever was .294 five shot group at 100 yds, with 53.6 gr. IMR 4831 and reloaded Rem cases, Sierra 160 gr. SBT's, CCI LR primer, seated 0.015 off the lands. Anything higher and primer pockets start to open up, and other pressure signs.

The Mountain Rifle, because it has the slim profile barrel, doesn't like anything heavier than 150 gr. bullets. Best results with it has been .355 at 100 yds with Nosler 140 gr Partitions of all things. All else opens up to about .500 at 100 yds. It did take a 320+ bull elk at 360 yds, one shot kill, bull ran uphill about 300 yds, and fell 600 yds down into a valley. Bullet was Nosler 160 gr Partition, loaded with the 53.6 gr of 4831, shot was quartering away, 25 yds lower in elevation. Bullet entered over left hip, destroyed lungs and heart, and lodged behind the right front shoulder. Retained weight 85%.

Wouldn't trade either for anything in anybody's safe.

Watch your pressure signs closely, especially if you use Rem or Fed brass. Haven't tried others, leaving well enough alone.

Good luck and enjoy.

It is really good to see load info on this cartridge again. I am building a 280 as we speak, with a 26 in #4 Brux barrel, and a Winchester action. I had one years ago, that loved 55.0 grains of 4350, and a 140 BT, or partition. That rifle had a 22 inch barrel. I want to try some RL17 in this one, with 140 TSX, and 145 LRX.
Keep the loads coming guys, I'm taking it all in! The 280 is about as perfect as a long action, non magnum cartridge can be. Great to see that it is alive and kicking!!!!

Unoboats,
As great as he was, I don't think Mr. O'Connor adhered to the gospel of BC for longer range shots. Got a 270, and it's great and accurate, but limited in bullet weights, and much lower BC's.

7STW,
What twist in your new barrel? Both of mine, being Remington have 9-1/2", which has been their standard for many years.

Good luck and stay safe,
Rick

Unoboats,
As great as he was, I don't think Mr. O'Connor adhered to the gospel of BC for longer range shots. Got a 270, and it's great and accurate, but limited in bullet weights, and much lower BC's.

7STW,
What twist in your new barrel? Both of mine, being Remington have 9-1/2", which has been their standard for many years.

Good luck and stay safe,
Rick

My barrel is on it's way to me as we speak, and I was told it is a 9 twist. I would be ok with it if it were a 9 1/2 twist, because I don't intend to shoot " heavy" bullets in this rifle anyway. Building is fun!!!!!!!

image.jpg