280 rem.140 GRN Loads

parkj5

I got a few 140 grn Bergers going to see if the New 280 likes em.Anyone got any good loads with em? Thanks

I got a few 140 grn Bergers going to see if the New 280 likes em.Anyone got any good loads with em? Thanks

57 grains of H-4831 over a CCI-200 in neck sized once fired Rem brass 88 thou off the lands 2956 fps average. Excellent load for me with 3 in 3/8" day in and day out. Smoked a mule doe at 492 yards this past November one wobbly step and straight down in a pile. Was not planning on shooting that far with this bullet in the .280 but I have shot this load a lot out to 600 over the past year and am very happy with the results. Lucky for me there was no wind when I made the shot. Planning on moving up to the 168 this year finding a load and being able to reduce drift over the 140. I was backed up on the shot by a 7 Rem mag shooting 150 Etips over Retumbo at just a smidge under 3200 fps with a real serious shooter on the trigger so I was not too stressed about the situation. My back up shooter/spoter dropped a WT doe next morning 656 yards and 2 hours later a 4x4 mule buck at 597 yards. We work together very well as spoter shooter team, trust me he is a much better shooter than I am. We are both very impressed with the Etip accurate and very flat shooting. I will be working on some Etip loads this year for my real hitters. Don't get me wrong the Burgers are great bullets and when you find the right jump with them they are impressive in accuracy drop and drift when compared to more conventional bullets of the same weight.

You could also try RL-19 as it is also a good burn speed in the 280 with 140 class bullets as well as RL-22 There are also one of the 4350's or perhaps RL-17 your rifle is going to dictate what it likes. I am thinking you have other calibers that also like these mid range slow powders so you might not have to go upt and spend a bunch of dollars on powder.

55.5- IMF 4350, CCI 200. .030 off of the lands, and that should be in the ball park. I have also had good luck with nosler BT, and partition. Don't know what your barrel length is, but I was shooting that load in a 22 inch barrel, and velocity was 2980. RL19 is a great powder for that round as well. What a great bullet, I miss mine. Have fun, 7 STWgun)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.