280 AI Velocity problems!?

If I load Norma brass to the same load as my Hornady or Remington brass I get a sticky bolt and ejector prints. Norma brass doesn't have the capacity of other brass and I only use it for lighter loads to stay away from pressure problems.

I'm not disputing that you get ejector marks with Norma brass. I also get ejector marks easier with Norma or Nosler brass (same parent company) as it is thinner, softer and lighter in general so have to load for a little less velocity but Norma brass is far more weight consistent than Remington and most other brass. Due to it's quality I'm willing to take a small velocity hit and load a little lighter. I test the velocity quite often on my reloads using a Magneto speed and I promise you 70 grains of X powder in a magnum Remington case will have a higher velocity than 70 gns of X powder in a Norma case of the same caliber and trim length, using the same primers. It's a general statement for sure but in my experience it also generally holds true. I'm not saying heavier brass is a bad thing, it can be very good if the heavier brass is consistent in weight and volume as you can get higher velocity using less powder.

I just went back through my book on a cooper and kimber 280AI
60Gr 4831 140 NAB Fed 210 3190.
58GR 4831 Fed 210 with Berger 168 was go to load in Kimber.
Cooper 57gr 4831 160AB was accuracy load.
As far as brass goes I used Nosler brass for my 280AI was ok
I used 280 Norma brass for my 6.5 Sherman ran the hell out of it same velocities as everyone else running a Sherman 6-7 reloads on this brass that's pushing a 140 vld @3300. Nothing wrong with Norma brass
I see in my book I tried RL 17/but it didn't work out.

I wouldn't get hung up on the specific powder although RL 26 is excellent. Think about the class of powder. 4831 is a moderately slow powder while RL 26 is a very slow (magnum) powder. You may find H-1000, Retumbo, 7828 etc. as the solution as well as RL 26. Just think how many more accubonds you'll blow thru :)
I just purchased a 24" .280AI today. I've had good results with IMR 7977 and Retumbo in my 25-06s, s well as 7828, especially in the .257 WM....
Does anyone have any experience using Retumbo or 7977 in the .280AI? I have a considerable amount of both!

I went out to the range today to try out 63.0 grs. of RL 26. The average velocity was 3215 fps. The other day average for the same load was 3220 fps. I shot 4 groups of 3 rounds each and all measured right at .500. That is good enough for me.
Now for a new chapter. When I fired the first loads, (couple of days ago) at 63.0 grs the case showed no signs of pressure at all. Today's temperature was almost the same as the other day. The first time I used cases that were a little grungy. Today I used cases just out of the tumbler so they were nice and shiny. That was the only difference in the cases. So, today I got just the slightest extractor mark on every case! Woe is me! However, my mood is much better now that I have the velocity problem solved. I just might try some rounds at 62.5 and 62.7, see what they show.

I went out to the range today to try out 63.0 grs. of RL 26. The average velocity was 3215 fps. The other day average for the same load was 3220 fps. I shot 4 groups of 3 rounds each and all measured right at .500. That is good enough for me.
Now for a new chapter. When I fired the first loads, (couple of days ago) at 63.0 grs the case showed no signs of pressure at all. Today's temperature was almost the same as the other day. The first time I used cases that were a little grungy. Today I used cases just out of the tumbler so they were nice and shiny. That was the only difference in the cases. So, today I got just the slightest extractor mark on every case! Woe is me! However, my mood is much better now that I have the velocity problem solved. I just might try some rounds at 62.5 and 62.7, see what they show.
With soft brass I personally don't have a problem with a slight ejector mark. Run it. They make more brass all the time. :D

Hi guys. I use rl23 in my 280ai and im running 180 eld m at 2900 so would have thought 3100 with 140s would have been achievable
How long of barrel and what twist rate are you using? If you don't mind how many grains of powder were you using?

Went back an read all the responses. Seems like RL 26 might be a happy place. Luckily I have 13 lbs. of it. I should have asked for help before I blew through 235 Accubonds! As they say...The only stupid question is the one not asked!

I may have a fast barrel but it was easy on mine to get 3265 with 63.0 vv165 accubond 140 and fed 210m.Barrel is a hart 27 inches Lapua brass made from 06 stuff and rediculously accurate!!!

I may have a fast barrel but it was easy on mine to get 3265 with 63.0 vv165 accubond 140 and fed 210m.Barrel is a hart 27 inches Lapua brass made from 06 stuff and rediculously accurate!!!

I know it's a little work, but other than having a little shorter neck does the fireformed Lapua brass present any issues?

I know it's a little work, but other than having a little shorter neck does the fireformed Lapua brass present any issues?
Haven't had any at all.Did the cream of wheat method after making a false shoulder with a tight bolt and shotgun powder cream of wheat and a paper towel wad tight on top of it.Lubed cases with imperial

Sometimes a swipe on case head isn't from brass flow, a rough cut ejector hole can imprint a false mark on case head with safe loads. The more you polish brass, the less it grips chamber and puts more pressure on case head also.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.