.280 AI build

This will be fairly lenghty, but I'm trying to be as helpful as I can. My opinion- take or for what it's worth. In the last week-week and a half since you've joined the forum, I've followed some of your posts and you've gone all over the place as far as what you think you want. No harm- I've done it, as have many folks on this thread. My advice is to sit down and think hard about what it is you want- a do all rifle that won't wear out the barrel quickly and is light enough to hunt with? A range rifle that will help you build your marksmanship skills? Something you have to reload for to make it economical to shoot? Something that is heavy and has a short barrel life but is different than any of your buddies has?

All of these are important questions- rank them in priority of what is most important to you and answer them honestly. I think you started your journey last week with a newly purchased 25-06 that you didn't like, thinking about a 6.5 of sorts, then switched to a .280AI, and now are considering a 28 Nosler (which as far as I know is a cannon with short-ish barrel life, but I've never shot it so I'm not an expert). These are all very different rifles with very different purposes. You also mention cost being a concern from time to time- I don't recall if you're setup to reload but you should be when considering any of the above calibers (or if shooting more than 20-50 rounds a year of anything, really).

Any custom or semi custom is going to be pricey. Reloading startup costs are pricey, too, so it's best to invest in what you KNOW you want. Spend wisely until you figure that out. If I were in your shoes, and I have been before when figuring out a new toy, I would borrow from friends to see what you like. If that's not an option, buy a Remington 700 SPS in one of their 6.5 offerings. They have a 260 Remington and a 6.5 Creedmore if you want to go with 6.5 bullets. Factory ammo is plentiful AND good. Same is said for a .308, which I have and love for practicing, but I'm old school. Save all of your used brass- even if you don't end up reloading it, someone out there will pay you to ship it to them.

Whatever you get, practice with it a lot- even if you don't end up liking the rifle, your practice time is priceless. Remington 700s can be modified, too- very easily as there are a TON of aftermarket parts available everywhere and tinkering is FUN! First bet would be to do a stock and trigger swap- you can do these YOURSELF without a gunsmith. That saves money for ammo or reloading supplies so you can keep practicing and figuring out what you like/don't like. Take notes- so you remember what you like/don't like when it's time to consider rebarreling or buying another rifle.

If you don't like it after you've shot the barrel out, rebarrel in another caliber using the same action and whatever stock/trigger you ended up with during your tinkering phase.

That is where I would start. I would not buy a round that I've little experience with or knowledge of because the gun shop offered me a credit- that's just me though. I'd rather know exactly what I want, and save my pennies until I can go get it. That said, I've had way more spur of the moment purchases than I care to admit so I know how fun and tempting that can be too!! :)
Very well said and thought out reply, and you did it while being polite.
It's funny that we have all been here before.

This will be fairly lenghty, but I'm trying to be as helpful as I can. My opinion- take or for what it's worth. In the last week-week and a half since you've joined the forum, I've followed some of your posts and you've gone all over the place as far as what you think you want. No harm- I've done it, as have many folks on this thread. My advice is to sit down and think hard about what it is you want- a do all rifle that won't wear out the barrel quickly and is light enough to hunt with? A range rifle that will help you build your marksmanship skills? Something you have to reload for to make it economical to shoot? Something that is heavy and has a short barrel life but is different than any of your buddies has?

All of these are important questions- rank them in priority of what is most important to you and answer them honestly. I think you started your journey last week with a newly purchased 25-06 that you didn't like, thinking about a 6.5 of sorts, then switched to a .280AI, and now are considering a 28 Nosler (which as far as I know is a cannon with short-ish barrel life, but I've never shot it so I'm not an expert). These are all very different rifles with very different purposes. You also mention cost being a concern from time to time- I don't recall if you're setup to reload but you should be when considering any of the above calibers (or if shooting more than 20-50 rounds a year of anything, really).

Any custom or semi custom is going to be pricey. Reloading startup costs are pricey, too, so it's best to invest in what you KNOW you want. Spend wisely until you figure that out. If I were in your shoes, and I have been before when figuring out a new toy, I would borrow from friends to see what you like. If that's not an option, buy a Remington 700 SPS in one of their 6.5 offerings. They have a 260 Remington and a 6.5 Creedmore if you want to go with 6.5 bullets. Factory ammo is plentiful AND good. Same is said for a .308, which I have and love for practicing, but I'm old school. Save all of your used brass- even if you don't end up reloading it, someone out there will pay you to ship it to them.

Whatever you get, practice with it a lot- even if you don't end up liking the rifle, your practice time is priceless. Remington 700s can be modified, too- very easily as there are a TON of aftermarket parts available everywhere and tinkering is FUN! First bet would be to do a stock and trigger swap- you can do these YOURSELF without a gunsmith. That saves money for ammo or reloading supplies so you can keep practicing and figuring out what you like/don't like. Take notes- so you remember what you like/don't like when it's time to consider rebarreling or buying another rifle.

If you don't like it after you've shot the barrel out, rebarrel in another caliber using the same action and whatever stock/trigger you ended up with during your tinkering phase.

That is where I would start. I would not buy a round that I've little experience with or knowledge of because the gun shop offered me a credit- that's just me though. I'd rather know exactly what I want, and save my pennies until I can go get it. That said, I've had way more spur of the moment purchases than I care to admit so I know how fun and tempting that can be too!! :) Even recently, I've considered both a .280AI and a 6.5 Sherman. I know very little about them, but my priority here is on learning more about ballistics in calibers I don't currently shoot- and maybe doing a wildcat for my first time ever. For practice, I have a .308, .300wm, and 6.5 Lapua. For deer, I have a .270win...I know I like those. My next rifle will not be for any purpose that those already serve, so I'm open to going after what I don't know. If that's where you are, then great- get the 28 Nosler and a shoulder pad and have fun!

A dear old friend of mine and rifle enthusiast has told me this time and time again. Basically saying the same things you have.

As for spur of the moment, haha, that's what led to to .25-06 purchase it was the right price and available. Luckily I know the shop owner and he understood my buyers remorse.
The same could be said for the Nosler I handled today, after my post I did some research and ruled it out fairly quickly. The price of brass alone was enough to run me off.
Thank you for being honest and trying to steer a new guy in the right direction.
I appreciate any and all advice or criticism along this journey.

Where I feel like I am at is-
I need a shop and or gunsmith in my area where I could talk to someone and possibly handle some rifles with out said person trying to sell me something I don't want. I hate buying cars for this exact reason.

Last edited:
I know this can be a touchy question... what was your approximate investment? Your setup is pretty close to what I have assembled in my head.
I got the rifle about 18 years ago as a .30-06 BDL w. 20" barrel from a pawn shop, with the intention of strictly using it for the action for a .25-06AI build.
I bought a Shilen Match 28" 1:10" .257 #4 contour barrel, B&C Medalist stock, Shilen Match trigger, and had it built. Loved that rifle for a lot of years and rounds. Took a lot of game with it too.
About a year ago, I got a Manners EH1 for a smoking price, and the dream to rebuild it was started again. But to lighten it up and add some bullet weight for a back-up carry weight elk rifle.

So, if you start with the action cost as free (since I paid for it 18 years ago, cost breakdown is as follows (approximately):
New Proof Research Sendero Light 26" 1:9" I got from a source, and I cannot reveal my price, but it was quite a bit cheaper than any advertised price. But you could get a Bartlein #3 fluted for about the same price.
Manners EH1 (used but like new) $350
Hawkins 3 port brake $100
Flute bolt (LRI $80)
Carbon fiber bolt knob $50
Alloy bolt shroud $30
Gunsmith work (true action, chamber/cut/thread, install brake, bed stock, hand turn knob and thread for CF bolt knob install, Cerakote) $1400
Trigger $90
In it about $2600 unscoped.
Seekins 20MOA alloy Picatinny Rail $60
Seekins 30mm low rings (used) $90
Flatline Ops level $80
Premier Heritage Light Tactical 3-15×50 (used obviously) $1300

Into it for just a hair over $4k w. Scope

Shoots the 175 Berger Elite Hunter @ 2975fps into the low .2s, and a 2.9" 3 shot group at 926 yards.

It pretty much rivals my 7RM pushing a 180 Hybrid at 2996.

I have a Kimber mountain assent in 280 AI with a basic veri xi 3,5 x 10x40 on it shoots very acuratly . I load 160 accubond just under 3000fps it has taken 2 elk 0ne moose so far all one shot kills 225-260 yds standing broad side shots . Very happy with it if I was building the only thing I would change is to have a long throat . To do that you would a different action and a lot of expense to gain 100 fps . I consider the 160-165 bullets max weight in that case for me if wanted to shoot 180'-190 I would go 30 cal

I got the rifle about 18 years ago as a .30-06 BDL w. 20" barrel from a pawn shop, with the intention of strictly using it for the action for a .25-06AI build.
I bought a Shilen Match 28" 1:10" .257 #4 contour barrel, B&C Medalist stock, Shilen Match trigger, and had it built. Loved that rifle for a lot of years and rounds. Took a lot of game with it too.
About a year ago, I got a Manners EH1 for a smoking price, and the dream to rebuild it was started again. But to lighten it up and add some bullet weight for a back-up carry weight elk rifle.

So, if you start with the action cost as free (since I paid for it 18 years ago, cost breakdown is as follows (approximately):
New Proof Research Sendero Light 26" 1:9" I got from a source, and I cannot reveal my price, but it was quite a bit cheaper than any advertised price. But you could get a Bartlein #3 fluted for about the same price.
Manners EH1 (used but like new) $350
Hawkins 3 port brake $100
Flute bolt (LRI $80)
Carbon fiber bolt knob $50
Alloy bolt shroud $30
Gunsmith work (true action, chamber/cut/thread, install brake, bed stock, hand turn knob and thread for CF bolt knob install, Cerakote) $1400
Trigger $90
In it about $2600 unscoped.
Seekins 20MOA alloy Picatinny Rail $60
Seekins 30mm low rings (used) $90
Flatline Ops level $80
Premier Heritage Light Tactical 3-15×50 (used obviously) $1300

Into it for just a hair over $4k w. Scope

Shoots the 175 Berger Elite Hunter @ 2975fps into the low .2s, and a 2.9" 3 shot group at 926 yards.

It pretty much rivals my 7RM pushing a 180 Hybrid at 2996.

lancetkenyon, great looking rifle! I just finished my 280 AI build this fall and was wondering what your load is for your 175 Bergers? I have been having great results with 7828SSC, H1000 and RL23 with 180 Berger Hybrids as well as 195 Berger EH.

280 AI 2.jpg

lancetkenyon, great looking rifle! I just finished my 280 AI build this fall and was wondering what your load is for your 175 Bergers? I have been having great results with 7828SSC, H1000 and RL23 with 180 Berger Hybrids as well as 195 Berger EH.

View attachment 88700
I am using:
Nosler .280AI brass
Fed GM210M
58.0gr RL23 (start lower!)
175 Berger Elite Hunter
.0200" jump (IIRC, don't remember CBTO off the top of my head)

This is even using a SAAMI spec reamer by my gunsmith. Not a long throated one.

I have made a decision and and then had buyers remorse so I changed my decision.

I purchased a Sendero in .25-06 and returned it unshot this week...

I REALLY want a .280 AI. I have researched the over the counter semi customs and none of them are what I want or they are way out of my price range.

So now is time to have one built. I have never been down this road and do not want to make costly mistakes.

What is my first step here? I have a pretty decent idea of what I want. I do not know of a gunsmith in my area.

Thanks Matt
Look at the Bergara Premier Series Mountain in 280 A.I. they come in right about $1900/$2,000. This is from the bergara website Our Premier series is custom quality while maintaining standard features to increase production efficiencies. All of our Premier series rifles feature Premium 416 stainless steel Bergara barrel that go through additional honing and quality procedures that put them a step above the rest. When the barrels are complete, they are finished with Cerakote and assembled in our production cells located in Lawrenceville, GA USA.
The Bergara Premier Series Mountain rifle features a 100% Carbon Fiber stock made to reduce weight to a meager 6.2 lbs (6.4 lbs in the .300 Win Mag). This is the perfect rifle to take deep into the woods or up brutal mountains. The Mountain Rifle features a TriggerTech® trigger with Frictionless Release Technology™ and a No. 2 taper 22" barrel (24" in the .300 Win Mag)
The Premier action is designed as a two-lug system that features a separate floating bolt head to ensure contact with the lug abutments in the action. It also features a cone-shaped bolt nose for smooth feeding of the cartridge, and a spring-loaded sliding plate extractor located in the front of the lower locking lug. The one-piece bolt body is stainless steel with a pad at the rear to accept the threaded-in bolt handle. The bolt head, the non-rotating gas shield, the bolt handle, and bolt shroud are fully Nitrided for extreme durability, as well as its self-lubricating properties.
All premier series rifles are capable of producing sub 1.0 MOA or less with quality factory match grade ammunition.
MOUNTAIN MSRP $2190

• Weight: 6.2 lbs (6.4 lbs .300 Win Mag)
• Overall Length: 41.5" (44.5" .300 Win Mag)
• Barrel Length: 22" (24" .300 Win Mag)
• Magazine: Hinged floor plate
• Mag Capacity: 4 standard, 3 magnum
• Trigger: TriggerTech® trigger with Frictionless Release Technology™
• Barrel Taper: No. 2
• Stock: 100% carbon-fiber

CALIBER/TWIST: .308 WIN/1:10, 6.5 CREEDMOOR/1:8, .300 WIN MAG/1:10, .280 ACKLEY IMPROVED/1:9, .30-06 SPRG/1:10, .270 WIN/1:10
View the Premier Stalker Rifle Owner's Manual Here

I am using:
Nosler .280AI brass
Fed GM210M
58.0gr RL23 (start lower!)
175 Berger Elite Hunter
.0200" jump (IIRC, don't remember CBTO off the top of my head)

This is even using a SAAMI spec reamer by my gunsmith. Not a long throated one.

This is very similar to what I have been using myself. I have tested the RL with both Berger 180 and 195 Bullets. I have a longer throated chamber on my rifle. Loads were as follows:

180 Berger Hyb
58.0gn RL 23
Fed 210M
2.821" to ogive (~0.020" off)
2923 fps, SD 3.4
0.36" x 3 shots

195 Berger EH
56.5gn RL 23
CCI BR-2
2.814" to ogive (~0.020" off)
2793 fps, SD 14.7
0.38" x 3 shots

Still working up loads but am really happy with these two so far.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.