280 AI build recommendations

Well , I just dropped parts off to the Smith this morning
* 280AI
Defiance Rebel with 20 MOA rail
Proof sendero 26" 8.24 twist
Proof research carbon hunter light stock

After much discussion I went trigger tech and Smith is hooking me up with bottom metal/ mag.

now heres the kicker.. he said he had opening and I'll be ready to pick it up in 3-6 weeks and he will perform barrel brake in prior to delivery. if I get glass to him that'll be done as well. So now I've got to decide on glass. Was oringially thinking vx6hd but recently picked up a vx5hd that I like. But not opposed to trying a zeiss , S&B , etc.

Top end 16-18x
44mm maybe 50
First or second focal plane ( I like both)
I do like illuminating dot sometimes
But want to keep it fairly light ..

Attachments

• B09C3BEE-537D-43D0-AD60-9110561D948A.jpeg
    B09C3BEE-537D-43D0-AD60-9110561D948A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 114
  • 33E751FF-D4A8-4E97-9E9F-7BC8115D754A.jpeg
    33E751FF-D4A8-4E97-9E9F-7BC8115D754A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 123
Nice build! I'm not usually a Vortex fan but I think I'm going to get a 3-15x42 Razor LHT that just came out months ago. Reviews look awesome besides a few guys having the illumination bleed over a little on the high setting. 19.2oz I believe and can be found under 1k...

I'd run 168-175 bergers or the Badlands 145gr bulldozer 2 that isn't on their website. .620 bc and would be a lazer beam... Just something to think about...

Well , I just dropped parts off to the Smith this morning
* 280AI
Defiance Rebel with 20 MOA rail
Proof sendero 26" 8.24 twist
Proof research carbon hunter light stock

After much discussion I went trigger tech and Smith is hooking me up with bottom metal/ mag.

now heres the kicker.. he said he had opening and I'll be ready to pick it up in 3-6 weeks and he will perform barrel brake in prior to delivery. if I get glass to him that'll be done as well. So now I've got to decide on glass. Was oringially thinking vx6hd but recently picked up a vx5hd that I like. But not opposed to trying a zeiss , S&B , etc.

Top end 16-18x
44mm maybe 50
First or second focal plane ( I like both)
I do like illuminating dot sometimes
But want to keep it fairly light ..
I think you need to ask yourself if you want the "ease" of the Leupold cds or if you want to truly dial your shots.

I'm good with dialing
I have been really impressed with a zeiss v6 3-18 I have on a lightweight rig right now. The reticle tends to be a tad thick but other than that I have had no issues. I run leupy's, Nightforce and March too. If money is no object I'd give a hard look at March. Just my opinion.

I see a few of the March I like the looks of in the compact tactical line , do you have experience with any of them ? Looks like they check all my boxes and lots of options in compact package

I see a few of the March I like the looks of in the compact tactical line , do you have experience with any of them ? Looks like they check all my boxes and lots of options in compact package
I have a few 3-24 ffp's and 2.5-25 SFP's. They are outstanding scopes IMO. The drawback that most people find is the warranty (has to be what it is because these are manufactured in Japan). I have never had one fail. I still shoot these in BR as well. I have and use many other scopes as well but I think for your application on a lightweight rig that the March checks all the boxes.

I built a 280 AI in January. Love the cartridge. Mine is wearing a Zeiss V4. I was going to get another V6 since l like the one I have on my 6.5-284, but I got a screaming deal on the V4 and decided to try it. Honestly, it's hard to tell any difference between them. I did a twilight test comparing my Swaro Z5, NF NXS & ATACR, Zeiss V6 & V4. They all went down at pretty much the same time. The only difference I could tell was the V6 is a little bit more crisp than the V4. The tracking is excellent. I have the ZMOA reticle and love it.
Glad to see you went with the 8.25 twist. I wish I had gone with an 8.5 instead of a 9 twist.

I appreciate your input , I bit a big bullet and ordered a MARCH 2.5x25x42 today. It's a good thing my fiancé doesn't know the difference between MARCH and Simmons 🤣. My Smith was excited when I told him to watch for UPS. It's by far the most I've spent on optics , almost double actually. Scary never looking through one biut this is my first custom rifle , and I'm getting married in October so might be another 38 years before I can do it again if I'm still around. 🤣 I'll be posting "bragging or crying " in few weeks when I get it !

I appreciate your input , I bit a big bullet and ordered a MARCH 2.5x25x42 today. It's a good thing my fiancé doesn't know the difference between MARCH and Simmons 🤣. My Smith was excited when I told him to watch for UPS. It's by far the most I've spent on optics , almost double actually. Scary never looking through one biut this is my first custom rifle , and I'm getting married in October so might be another 38 years before I can do it again if I'm still around. 🤣 I'll be posting "bragging or crying " in few weeks when I get it !
You will not be disappointed!

Now for the hardest part. Waiting. Sounds like a great build. Only own one March scope and from my experience with it you won't be disappointed. Good luck and enjoy.

It's a good thing my fiancé doesn't know the difference between MARCH and Simmons 🤣
Keep SEPARATE bank accounts when you get married and she won't EVER know! 😇
Sounds like you've got a great build going there. I'd be willing to bet that Brandon is just as excited to shoot it as YOU are. Heck, I may have to drive by there while on patrol and set eyes on it myself.😁

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.