.280 AI build

I really like the Nosler rifles they use a aftermarket barrel and you still get the rifle coated and they used to use a rifle basics trigger. The rifle is usually around $1400 and you can spend more on a scope.

Good point. OP mentioned you researched the semi customs. I assume this meant the nosler and kimbers. What didn't you like about them. I have a buddy with the kimber. He's happy with it, but I've read mixed reviews on their accuracy potential.

Good point. OP mentioned you researched the semi customs. I assume this meant the nosler and kimbers. What didn't you like about them. I have a buddy with the kimber. He's happy with it, but I've read mixed reviews on their accuracy potential.
The Kimber is light but accuracy is not that good from I have seen at the range. Nosler is usually cheaper also.

I believe the Christensen ridgeline is under $2000. Be worth looking into. Might also look at Coopers. My cooper 280AI shoots very good. Actually thinking about selling it to try a Christensen.

I forgot about Cooper rifles they are the best semi customs for the money. The cost is more than the Nosler but worth it if you can afford it.

In your position, I would first find a gunsmith before spec'ing the build. As a canadian I can't help you there, but it's been my experience that smiths have different preferences, experience and biases. Once you find someone you would like to work with, work with them on sourcing the parts (they might have a spare action or two kicking around). You may get better and faster results than mailing someone a bunch of parts to assemble. If you can't find someone you want to work with, consider a semi-custom.

Always wanted one myself. So I just Built one ealier this year. I love it.

R700 LA BDL trued by AxisWorks in Tempe, AZ
Proof Research Sendero Light 1:9" @ 26" plus Hawkins 3 port brake
Manners EH1
Shilen Match trigger
Seekins alloy 20MOA Picatinny Rail and 30mm low rings
Premier Heritage Light Tactical 3-15×50 w. Gen 2XR
Finished rifle weight is 8lbs 15oz scoped

I am running the Berger 175 Elite Hunter over RL23 and BR-2 In Nosler .280AI brass @ 2975fps

Rifle shoots in the .2s @ 100, and shot a sub 3" group @ 926 yards. Can't wait to see if I draw any tags next year.

Very fine caliber choice for your first build. I ordered a CA 280 a.i. Ridgeline for one of my sons for Christmas. Cost was $1995 and I got the 26" barrel and the side port brake added. 6.5# bare weight. Hard to build a rifle that cheap, even using a rem action. It may not shoot alongside my full customs, but they have a 1/2 minute guarantee. I could tell you more when it gets here, if you are considering going that route, just PM me. Good Luck

Always wanted one myself. So I just Built one ealier this year. I love it.

R700 LA BDL trued by AxisWorks in Tempe, AZ
Proof Research Sendero Light 1:9" @ 26" plus Hawkins 3 port brake
Manners EH1
Shilen Match trigger
Seekins alloy 20MOA Picatinny Rail and 30mm low rings
Premier Heritage Light Tactical 3-15×50 w. Gen 2XR
Finished rifle weight is 8lbs 15oz scoped

I am running the Berger 175 Elite Hunter over RL23 and BR-2 In Nosler .280AI brass @ 2975fps

Rifle shoots in the .2s @ 100, and shot a sub 3" group @ 926 yards. Can't wait to see if I draw any tags next year.

I know this can be a touchy question... what was your approximate investment? Your setup is pretty close to what I have assembled in my head.

I'm just starting on 6mm creed build. Bartlein barrel, grayboe stock, timney trigger, mesa precision bottom metal. I had a 22-250 rem 700 sitting around so that action is the starting point. Think I'm getting into around $2000 for the rifle.

Ok I talked to the closest CA dealer and he has a .28 Nosler Mesa Long Range on the shelf. Someone ordered it and backed out. He said he would give me a $500 credit towards whatever in his shop if I bought it. He is asking $1500 for the rifle.

So what's your opinon on that? I know it's not .280ai but it's sort of in the neighborhood.

Ok I talked to the closest CA dealer and he has a .28 Nosler Mesa Long Range on the shelf. Someone ordered it and backed out. He said he would give me a $500 credit towards whatever in his shop if I bought it. He is asking $1500 for the rifle.

So what's your opinon on that? I know it's not .280ai but it's sort of in the neighborhood.

This will be fairly lenghty, but I'm trying to be as helpful as I can. My opinion- take or for what it's worth. In the last week-week and a half since you've joined the forum, I've followed some of your posts and you've gone all over the place as far as what you think you want. No harm- I've done it, as have many folks on this thread. My advice is to sit down and think hard about what it is you want- a do all rifle that won't wear out the barrel quickly and is light enough to hunt with? A range rifle that will help you build your marksmanship skills? Something you have to reload for to make it economical to shoot? Something that is heavy and has a short barrel life but is different than any of your buddies has?

All of these are important questions- rank them in priority of what is most important to you and answer them honestly. I think you started your journey last week with a newly purchased 25-06 that you didn't like, thinking about a 6.5 of sorts, then switched to a .280AI, and now are considering a 28 Nosler (which as far as I know is a cannon with short-ish barrel life, but I've never shot it so I'm not an expert). These are all very different rifles with very different purposes. You also mention cost being a concern from time to time- I don't recall if you're setup to reload but you should be when considering any of the above calibers (or if shooting more than 20-50 rounds a year of anything, really).

Any custom or semi custom is going to be pricey. Reloading startup costs are pricey, too, so it's best to invest in what you KNOW you want. Spend wisely until you figure that out. If I were in your shoes, and I have been before when figuring out a new toy, I would borrow from friends to see what you like. If that's not an option, buy a Remington 700 SPS in one of their 6.5 offerings. They have a 260 Remington and a 6.5 Creedmore if you want to go with 6.5 bullets. Factory ammo is plentiful AND good. Same is said for a .308, which I have and love for practicing, but I'm old school. Save all of your used brass- even if you don't end up reloading it, someone out there will pay you to ship it to them.

Whatever you get, practice with it a lot- even if you don't end up liking the rifle, your practice time is priceless. Remington 700s can be modified, too- very easily as there are a TON of aftermarket parts available everywhere and tinkering is FUN! First bet would be to do a stock and trigger swap- you can do these YOURSELF without a gunsmith. That saves money for ammo or reloading supplies so you can keep practicing and figuring out what you like/don't like. Take notes- so you remember what you like/don't like when it's time to consider rebarreling or buying another rifle.

If you don't like it after you've shot the barrel out, rebarrel in another caliber using the same action and whatever stock/trigger you ended up with during your tinkering phase.

That is where I would start. I would not buy a round that I've little experience with or knowledge of because the gun shop offered me a credit- that's just me though. I'd rather know exactly what I want, and save my pennies until I can go get it. That said, I've had way more spur of the moment purchases than I care to admit so I know how fun and tempting that can be too!! :) Even recently, I've considered both a .280AI and a 6.5 Sherman. I know very little about them, but my priority here is on learning more about ballistics in calibers I don't currently shoot- and maybe doing a wildcat for my first time ever. For practice, I have a .308, .300wm, and 6.5 Lapua. For deer, I have a .270win...I know I like those. My next rifle will not be for any purpose that those already serve, so I'm open to going after what I don't know. If that's where you are, then great- get the 28 Nosler and a shoulder pad and have fun!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.