280 AI and 168 gr Nosler LRAB

ivo

Has anyone experimented with these bullets in the 280 AI? I have a semi custom Rem 700 with a 23" gain twist barrel. I have lots of different powders including RL 17, 22, and 25.
I know RL 22 comes highly recommend but was hoping that RL 17 might work giving me some added velocity.

I haven't used the ABLR, but frequent the Nosler forum. Guys are getting some great groups with the ABLR. Seems like guys on there also like the 7828ssc and RL22.

I've been running the 280ai with 168 grain Bergers and 168 grain Barns LRX. I can't say enough good things about RL26 and the 168 grain bullets. I'm getting 2925+ with either of those two bullets. I think pressure is slightly above that speed (for a 24" barrel). I think you can get 2900 fps with a 23" barrel, but you'll have to see for yourself.

I've been running that bullet since it came out in my 280AI with Ramshot Magnum, I've killed 2 elk with it !

I haven't used the ABLR, but frequent the Nosler forum. Guys are getting some great groups with the ABLR. Seems like guys on there also like the 7828ssc and RL22.

I've been running the 280ai with 168 grain Bergers and 168 grain Barns LRX. I can't say enough good things about RL26 and the 168 grain bullets. I'm getting 2925+ with either of those two bullets. I think pressure is slightly above that speed (for a 24" barrel). I think you can get 2900 fps with a 23" barrel, but you'll have to see for yourself.

From what I understand, RL 26 is just a more temperature stable version of RL 25 so maybe I'll give the 25 a shot as well. I've had great luck with RL 25 in my 7 wsm too with no noticeable temperature issues.

I have around 40 rounds loaded up with RL 22 and RL 17 right now and will test them within the next couple of days and report back my preliminary results. I'd there is no joy there, I'll give the RL 25 a go.

Thanks for the replies.

I used 168gr long range accubonds in my 280AI. I loved them and they were hands down the most accurate bullet I have ever shot.
I used retumbo powder and winchester large rifle magnum primers.
I was getting around 2950-2975 fps
At 200 yards I could put 4 rounds in a circle the size of a quarter.
I found that the winchester primers were just a tab faster then federal 215M
The interesting thing I found with my load is when I first started, I loaded to touch the lands and got terrible results. Then someone from nosler gave me some advice, seat the bullets to saami spec's, which if I remember is 3.330

I have used the LRAB in my 280AI. I used 4831sc and RL22. My barrel is 1:8" twist and 26". I didn't get a chance to fully test them but my accuracy was slightly better than 1MOA. The Sierra Match Kings will shoot .5" regularly and have shot several .25" groups.

Revive of an old thread;

I just came across this thread and I see some of you guys are using some of the same ingredients as I. RL26 has been like magic pixie dust for me in several calibers. One that I'm most excited about is my o'le 6.5x55 Swede. It has brought a whole new life for this cartridge in a modern action rifle! But this is about the 280AI and 168 grain bullets. My "GO-TO" bullet for this caliber was the 162 grain A-Max. . .and before you guys start hammering me on this bullet, let me tell you, it was (and still is when I can find them) a great hunting bullet for me for all deer across the US and Canada. So now that my hunting season has started to wind down I have decided to work up a new load using RL26 and the 168 LRAB, this is the one I wanted to play with first. So far my best groups have been right at 1". Coming from a rifle that will shoot 3/8" groups all day everyday is not making me happy. This load is in Norma brass, 61gr. RL26, Win. WLRM primer set .110 off the lands giving me a COAL of 3.339". Average MV of 2996 and ES/SD of 29/12. This is over 21 shots. I switched out primers to FED 215's and my average numbers over 12 shots were; MV 2983 fps and ES/SD 17/9, but it looks like a good shotgun buckshot group. I'm going to play with seating depth somemore with the FED primers because my numbers were better. . .if not, I guess I'll scrap the LRAB project and move on to another bullet.

The Barnes 168 LRX is another on my radar. . .have you shot any critters at distance to see how the bullet expansion is and what is your twist? I'm running a 26" 9 twist. . .just wonder how they would do?

I used 168gr long range accubonds in my 280AI. I loved them and they were hands down the most accurate bullet I have ever shot.
I used retumbo powder and winchester large rifle magnum primers.
I was getting around 2950-2975 fps
At 200 yards I could put 4 rounds in a circle the size of a quarter.
I found that the winchester primers were just a tab faster then federal 215M
The interesting thing I found with my load is when I first started, I loaded to touch the lands and got terrible results. Then someone from nosler gave me some advice, seat the bullets to saami spec's, which if I remember is 3.330
I'm a tad over the 3.330 mark at 3.339 and found 1" groups. I went up and down in .005 increments and it made buckshot groups, .110 off worked with the WLRM primer. I'm going to play somemore with the FED 215 primer, I just can't believe my groups would open up as much as they did with just a primer swap! Crazy!

The Barnes 168 LRX is another on my radar. . .have you shot any critters at distance to see how the bullet expansion is and what is your twist? I'm running a 26" 9 twist. . .just wonder how they would do?

I'm holding a cow tag that goes through March 31st, but this is my first season with this rifle. So no animals taken yet.

My barrel is a 1:8 twist. The Barns 168 LRX is a reallllly long bullet. I don't know if I've heard of too many having luck stabilizing them with a 1:9 twist or slower.

I'm holding a cow tag that goes through March 31st, but this is my first season with this rifle. So no animals taken yet.

My barrel is a 1:8 twist. The Barns 168 LRX is a reallllly long bullet. I don't know if I've heard of too many having luck stabilizing them with a 1:9 twist or slower.

My 280AI 24" 1:9.5 wouldnt stabilize the LRX 168's. It does good with 162 ELDX's though.

I just found a load for 280ai 26" carbon benchmark 168 ABLRs behind 61.5 of H1000 shooting in. The .2s and .3s. Haven't chrono'd yet hoping 2900 as the original owner was getting 3k with H1000 and 168 VLDs

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.