Loads for 168 gr berger out of 280 ai

a thread from way back when! is anyone using the 168 grain bergers in a 280 ackley improved? i've got one and i'm wondering if this will work for me?

I too am interested, I know this thread is an oldie. I am using 56.5 gr. of RL22 and have no idea what kind of velocity I'm getting. Accuracy is the best I've ever seen though!

My son and I both are using the 168VLD's out of 280AI's. Both rifles have a 1-10" twist and we have had no problem getting them to work. The son is using a pretty stiff load of RL22 with F215M primers. I kind of hesitate to mention the amount of powder - work up gradually to see what works in your rifle. He just opened a new 5# jug of RL22 and we had to back off 1.5gr to match his previous jugs velocity to produce 2930 fps. I'm using H4831sc with a F210M primer and running it at 2850 fps.
If you have any further specific questions feel free to PM me and I'll be more than happy to give you a .02 cent opinion.

You can try 63.0 grains of Retumbo with the "Old" WLR primer and the 168 grn Berger hunting VLD and Nosler 280 AI brass. I shoot this out of my 26" 1/9" twist 3 groove"barreled AI and it gives me about 3100+- fps with consistent .200"- .300" groups and is devastating on game. You also might want to try a magnum primer as some think that past 60 grns.of powder a magnum gives you a better burn? COAL is mag. length just short enough to work so it will be tight but useable. I hope this will help you out?

gun)

Thanks for the information. I have been using 56 grains of H4831sc, but I am only getting a velocity of 2750, I want to try to speed it up a little, but keep the accuracy.

nmsheephunter, I just recently had the same issues. Tried h4831sc, h1000 and imr 7828- all gave good groups(imr 7828 gave excellent accuracy) but muzzle vel. below 2800fps for all 3 powders. Then I tried rl 17- working up to 56.5 gr-I got 2940. I settled on 55gr @2900 then played with seating depth and I now have a great load. In the begining all testing was with the VLD's touching the lands but after some more testing I'm at .070 off. I have a 24" barrell.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.