280 Ackley Brass

quigley257

Other than $$Nosler$$(which is also scarce), what is available for 280 AI brass? Cabela's has Winchester nickel plated 280Rem brass. Has anyone had good luck fire forming from it? I'm just not a fan of Winchester...

Thanks! -Quigley

Norma 280 brass is good stuff. RWS 270 brass is a tougher option, if you plan to push things a bit.

Thanks for the responses. The nosler 280Rem brass may be an option. I just saw that Hornady is making 280AI brass. I've had decent luck with Hornady brass other than the early Creedmoor stuff being too soft.

The "other option" is to call up Jarrett Rifles and buy there brass already formed to 280 AI. He's fireformed hundreds of thousand of 280 AI brass from Remington 280 brass.

Other than $$Nosler$$(which is also scarce), what is available for 280 AI brass? Cabela's has Winchester nickel plated 280Rem brass. Has anyone had good luck fire forming from it? I'm just not a fan of Winchester...

Thanks! -Quigley

I would not recommend "Any" nickel plated cases to fire form because the plating can fail if the change is to great for the plating.

Nickel plated brass is great when used on normal chamber dimensions,
but most wildcats will exceed the limits of the plating.

Just a recommendation

J E CUSTOM

Thanks for the responses. The nosler 280Rem brass may be an option. I just saw that Hornady is making 280AI brass. I've had decent luck with Hornady brass other than the early Creedmoor stuff being too soft.
Unless this is something brand new and has not hit the market yet, I'm almost positive Hornady has never made .280 AI brass.

I didn't figure nickel would be a good choice. I'm not a fan of nickel for anything but pistol rounds. Hornady has a bunch of new calibers listed on their website. I was surprised to see 280AI included.

I didn't figure nickel would be a good choice. I'm not a fan of nickel for anything but pistol rounds. Hornady has a bunch of new calibers listed on their website. I was surprised to see 280AI included.
Ah! That explains it. It's new for 2018. Gotcha. I have not been to their site in a while, so I was not aware. That is good to know that there will be a more affordable .280 AI brass source.

I use mostly Nosler and Lapua brass...But have some Winchester brass that I got cheap/free/in-trade that I use in some of my rifles. And I use Hornady in my revolvers and my 6.5 Grendel. It's not bad brass, but it's not quite on par with the Nosler and Lapua stuff. However, the significantly cheaper price point makes it a bit more desirable in rifles (like AR's) that chew-up case heads with heavy M16 extractors, and are just generally harder on your cases. And for plinking guns (my revolvers) that get heavy use, and are tough on brass from the constant reloading.

Very true, but you'd be better served to just buy RWS 280 Remington brass rather then neck up which would thin the case neck.

From the following thread:

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/sherman-long-action-shooters.191840/

I am making a couple of recommendations for the folks shooting the 270 based line of Shermans. I am finding that the RWS brass is working VERY well. It has a little less capacity but is so tough that you can reach higher velocities safely without loosening the primer pockets as easily as any other brass available. I still like the Norma, but RWS is better. Make sure you get 270 and not 280 as the neck wall is too thin on the 280.
Also, if you can get it, N570 powder from Vihtavouri gives great accuracy and velocity as well as low es and good temp stability.......Rich

That is the reason for recommending 270 RWS, rather than 280 RWS.

I have not had good luck with hornady brass primer pockets. They get loose quick.The only brass I have had this issue with and I have used every brass manufacture out there. If you can't get 280AI brass I would fireforming my own from nosler or Remington 280 I have formed probably 100 cases from remington using a midrange load for a 280 rem. With imr 4895 and jamming the bullets into the lands. Probably have 8-10 cycles on some of the brass and primer pockets are still tight and have never lost a case fireforming, I also keep them annealed frequently, because I use the same brass in customers rifles that I test for function and some load data they have been ran up to 3240fps in my 280AI with 140 and 3080 with 162's with RL23

From the following thread:

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/sherman-long-action-shooters.191840/

I am making a couple of recommendations for the folks shooting the 270 based line of Shermans. I am finding that the RWS brass is working VERY well. It has a little less capacity but is so tough that you can reach higher velocities safely without loosening the primer pockets as easily as any other brass available. I still like the Norma, but RWS is better. Make sure you get 270 and not 280 as the neck wall is too thin on the 280.
Also, if you can get it, N570 powder from Vihtavouri gives great accuracy and velocity as well as low es and good temp stability.......Rich

That is the reason for recommending 270 RWS, rather than 280 RWS.
OK, well first off the case dimensions are not the same, the neck shoulder juncture is longer in a 280 Rem. vs. 270 Win. so you'd cause considerable headspace problems! Plus why not at least have the head stamp correct or close enough to it!?! It's usual for necks to thin going up, and thicken going down in neck size which BTW is why I said what I did BR.

But Yah don't let my opinion sway you from your own ideas.....

To my knowledge the body already has to be blown forward 0.091" when fire-forming 280 Rem. to 280 AI brass, and why it's important to have a bullet touching the lands when doing so..... So if you're OK with using a 270 Win case which is another 0.051" shorter, I'd make sure of that detail.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.