28 or 30 cal for build

Lehigh has a 257 grain that's .890 and it's roughly equal in wind to the 300 Berger's at a mile. Sure seems like they'd be better due to the higher BC and velocity but there about equal overall. Accuracy of the 300s is better for me.

Last edited:
Hello folks,

I love this website wealth of knowledge here. I have finally decided to build a rifle got smith lined up and decided on most components. It will be primarily for whitetail but planning on mule deer and elk in next few years. I will have shots in Tennessee ranging from 50-600 yards primarily with most shots 350 and under. In the past I have shot 7RM, but currently shoot 6.5 PRC with 143 ELDX. Before I was shooting a built 300 WBY with 210 VLD. I like terminal peformsnce off the 300 WBY better than the 6.5 PRC have not tried 156 and with component shortage have shot the factory 143. I have had things with all my rifles I did not like so why I am building.

I want to "gun up" and initially was leaning towards 28 nosler shooting berger 180 or 195. I know barely life is not good and also feel like I can't go wrong with 30 caliber shooting 215 berger reloads.

Build will be

Manners EH/1A or LRH
Defiance Action
Arcs Rail for tripod with ball head
26 inch proof barrel with suppressor
Timney trigger
ZEISS V6 5-30 already have or possibly NX8 2.5-20

Main thing I'm struggling with is 28 or 30 cal. If 30, 300 win, 30 nosler.

I am not worried about meat damage. When I shoot something I want as much damage, little to no tracking. Of course need to avoid shoulder, proper placement.

I know 28 or 30 cal is big for whitetail but I do not mind recoil and want hammer deer rifle good for western hunts (elk and mule deer) as well.

Let your advice opinions role on. I am ready to start build and start stacking components as I can.

Thanks
If you are going to go 28 Nosler, I think you need to plan on 190-195's. Thats where it will shine. If you are going to shoot 180's, you can roll with a 7wsm or 280ai.

300 PRC has a lot to like, but I love the 30 Nosler case design and performance. If Nosler had the marketing team that Hornady had, there never would have been a need for the PRC in my opinion.

338 Norma would be super sick as well.

On a different note, you ever make it down to strategic edge in chapel hill?

If you are going to go 28 Nosler, I think you need to plan on 190-195's. Thats where it will shine. If you are going to shoot 180's, you can roll with a 7wsm or 280ai.

300 PRC has a lot to like, but I love the 30 Nosler case design and performance. If Nosler had the marketing team that Hornady had, there never would have been a need for the PRC in my opinion.

Couldn't have stated any of your opinions better. I think the 300 NM is an awesome heavy bullet cartridge, not as much for the 338. The 338 LM improved makes for an awesome .338 engine but the Cheytac case is even better.

On a different note, you ever make it down to strategic edge in chapel hill?
I think 30 nosler is what I will probably go with. I have not been to strategic edge yet but probably looking to get membership

One of the things I noticed in my area is that 30 Nosler ammo & brass is almost always available, I stop by those places several times a week on my way home from work and have been inadvertently keeping track of how the ammo moves ... It sells, shelves get bare then restocks .... same with the 300 Win Mag, 300 Wby & 300 Rum, also 33 Nosler

Have yet to see any ammo or brass for the 300 PRC in the last 3 years ....

Seems that Nosler is on top of cranking out ammo & brass for their pet cartridges, one of the main reasons I'm all for building a 30 Nosler ....

took these photos around 5 pm last night
F095101F-9F7D-4E5A-8CEA-8225AF80F546.jpeg
ABAFF1E4-4F3E-4781-BD18-9962390BF267.jpeg
5D4CB77A-8BCE-4CB0-B33F-39381757977C.jpeg

One of the things I noticed in my area is that 30 Nosler ammo & brass is almost always available, I stop by those places several times a week on my way home from work and have been inadvertently keeping track of how the ammo moves ... It sells, shelves get bare then restocks .... same with the 300 Win Mag, 300 Wby & 300 Rum, also 33 Nosler

Have yet to see any ammo or brass for the 300 PRC in the last 3 years ....

Seems that Nosler is on top of cranking out ammo & brass for their pet cartridges, one of the main reasons I'm all for building a 30 Nosler ....

took these photos around 5 pm last night
View attachment 327689View attachment 327690View attachment 327691
Arctic Ammo in Alaska? Love them guys.

Arctic Ammo in Alaska? Love them guys.
yes sir, stopped in last night to dig around in the back room pile of used stuff and got 136 pcs of brass for $20, not bad at less than .15c each for once fired factory ammo brass

44 pcs of 7mm Rem Mag
47 pcs of 300 Win Mag
45 pcs of 338 Win Mag

score !

I love my 30 Nosler, for handloaders it's a better case than the PRC in my opinion.
I'm using Peterson brass and it's about as good as it gets

I love my 30 Nosler, for handloaders it's a better case than the PRC in my opinion.
I'm using Peterson brass and it's about as good as it gets
Better how exactly? I've shot a whole lot of cases in my lifetime and have yet to find anything easier than the .375 Ruger case to deal with so I'm genuinely curious?

Better how exactly? I've shot a whole lot of cases in my lifetime and have yet to find anything easier than the .375 Ruger case to deal with so I'm genuinely curious?
I've owned both and personally I like the 35 degree shoulder angle better, I go 5-6 firings between trimming on the Nos and about 3-4 on the prc.
I like the extra capacity of the Nos as well, I get the same velocity as the prc using H1000 with 2" less barrel
Also I experienced the clicker issue with my prc and I didn't want to get a custom reamer to fix it