28 or 30 cal for build

That used to be a huge worry for me and I cautioned people about it as well.

When I started flying for trips I just cut two extra pockets out in the foam inside my rifle cases so I could fit a couple of caseguards in each.

If I lose my ammo, my rifle is with it so I don't much worry about it anymore.
At least two airlines made me seprate my ammo from the rifle!
So for me, a hunting rifle I would use away from my home state would be one I can easily find ammunition...
@WildRose even in S Africa, from Joburg to Bloemfontein, they made me take the ammo out of the rifle cases and put them in thier own box.

Last edited:
BTW, ever hear of a the Hemi Dart?
Or 440, they will smoke a Vette.
The OP said he had a 300wby. Not much Up-Gunning from that!
Can't you guys stop suggesting cartridges that have to burn over 80 grains of powder to kill game? The 06 can do it with 60 grains from Alaska down👍
My experience is with the 300 weatherby mag and 180 gr accubonds at around 3000 +- , out of an old sporterized pre 64 model 70,with great success on elk over the years.
Can't give an opinion on 300rum ,prc, 30 nosler or others close to them .
If my memory serves me correct, I think the 300 weatherby mag has been in use for around 75 years , it gets my vote.

At least two airlines made me seprate my ammo from the rifle!
So for me, a hunting rifle I would use away from my home state would be one I can easily find ammunition...
@WildRose even in S Africa, from Joburg to Bloemfontein, they made me take the ammo out of the rifle cases and put them in thier own box.
It may have changed but what I was told and had no problem with was that it had to be in it's own lockable case inside of the rifle case or separated.

It may have changed but what I was told and had no problem with was that it had to be in it's own lockable case inside of the rifle case or separated.

PS I really love that area around Bloemfontein. Great people and beautiful country. I really liked the little "farm store" there on the left as you go through town just past the old fort.

BTW, ever hear of a the Hemi Dart?
Or 440, they will smoke a Vette.
The OP said he had a 300wby. Not much Up-Gunning from that!
Can't you guys stop suggesting cartridges that have to burn over 80 grains of powder to kill game? The 06 can do it with 60 grains from Alaska down👍
An old straight six will get you up and down the road too but it ain't near as much fun!

Hello folks,

I love this website wealth of knowledge here. I have finally decided to build a rifle got smith lined up and decided on most components. It will be primarily for whitetail but planning on mule deer and elk in next few years. I will have shots in Tennessee ranging from 50-600 yards primarily with most shots 350 and under. In the past I have shot 7RM, but currently shoot 6.5 PRC with 143 ELDX. Before I was shooting a built 300 WBY with 210 VLD. I like terminal peformsnce off the 300 WBY better than the 6.5 PRC have not tried 156 and with component shortage have shot the factory 143. I have had things with all my rifles I did not like so why I am building.

I want to "gun up" and initially was leaning towards 28 nosler shooting berger 180 or 195. I know barely life is not good and also feel like I can't go wrong with 30 caliber shooting 215 berger reloads.

Build will be

Manners EH/1A or LRH
Defiance Action
Arcs Rail for tripod with ball head
26 inch proof barrel with suppressor
Timney trigger
ZEISS V6 5-30 already have or possibly NX8 2.5-20

Main thing I'm struggling with is 28 or 30 cal. If 30, 300 win, 30 nosler.

I am not worried about meat damage. When I shoot something I want as much damage, little to no tracking. Of course need to avoid shoulder, proper placement.

I know 28 or 30 cal is big for whitetail but I do not mind recoil and want hammer deer rifle good for western hunts (elk and mule deer) as well.

Let your advice opinions role on. I am ready to start build and start stacking components as I can.

Thanks
For 15 years I hunted little TX whitetails with a 300WBY, 180 grain bullets. Some people teased me, but I had never had to look for my deer....DRT! Like the caliber so much, have more than one, each setup with different bullet and different purpose.

For 15 years I hunted little TX whitetails with a 300WBY, 180 grain bullets. Some people teased me, but I had never had to look for my deer....DRT! Like the caliber so much, have more than one, each setup with different bullet and different purpose.
They do the same on elk , every time I think about changing rifles and calibers , I always talk myself right back to my 300 weatherby mag.

Hello folks,

I love this website wealth of knowledge here. I have finally decided to build a rifle got smith lined up and decided on most components. It will be primarily for whitetail but planning on mule deer and elk in next few years. I will have shots in Tennessee ranging from 50-600 yards primarily with most shots 350 and under. In the past I have shot 7RM, but currently shoot 6.5 PRC with 143 ELDX. Before I was shooting a built 300 WBY with 210 VLD. I like terminal peformsnce off the 300 WBY better than the 6.5 PRC have not tried 156 and with component shortage have shot the factory 143. I have had things with all my rifles I did not like so why I am building.

I want to "gun up" and initially was leaning towards 28 nosler shooting berger 180 or 195. I know barely life is not good and also feel like I can't go wrong with 30 caliber shooting 215 berger reloads.

Build will be

Manners EH/1A or LRH
Defiance Action
Arcs Rail for tripod with ball head
26 inch proof barrel with suppressor
Timney trigger
ZEISS V6 5-30 already have or possibly NX8 2.5-20

Main thing I'm struggling with is 28 or 30 cal. If 30, 300 win, 30 nosler.

I am not worried about meat damage. When I shoot something I want as much damage, little to no tracking. Of course need to avoid shoulder, proper placement.

I know 28 or 30 cal is big for whitetail but I do not mind recoil and want hammer deer rifle good for western hunts (elk and mule deer) as well.

Let your advice opinions role on. I am ready to start build and start stacking components as I can.

Thanks
Since you already have a .300 WBTY, you might consider a .33 caliber/chambering instead, esp. when western elk hunt is in the mix.

They are but for banging steel when wind gets up, the extra weight really helps. Wouldn't think so but another 25-30 grains makes a huge difference at a mile
Yep, it would help. Have you considered the 275g SB2 (G1=.880/G2=.451) instead of Berger 300 OTM (G1=.822/G2=.421)? I do not have hands-on experience, but IIRC, @codyadams has in his .338 NM.

What I have found out is that weight in wind means more than BC given BC is roughly the same. Those two I'd say are close to the same in wind. Add another 30 grains to the 300 Berger and it's in a little different class

Recent Posts